Bush Lapa mods - Page 9

Page 9 of 364 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 34 59 109 259 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Lapa mods

Jason, the tap is situated on the back of the caravan, left of the door, on the outside. The pump is just on the inside of the hull. There is a cavity which gives you access to the pump, but it is probably not big enough for a filtration system. We only manage to fit a pair of boots and another pair of shoes there.

Your other option is to mount the filtration system before the water enters the tank. The pipe from the filler cap runs through the storage space beneath the side bed. There is ample space for a filtration system. However, depending on how much your system restricts water flow, it may take some time to fill the 100 litre tank.

I got this picture of www.bushlapa.com, the cavity that gives access to the pump is the one at the bottom left of the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

Nice Jaco. I'm also quite chuffed with mine. Those electrical points mounted outside is prone to letting dust in.

Jason, Some more pics to help. I'm sure you can change the route of the piping and fit your filters under the bed.....or even in a cavity under the trailer with a protective plate over it. You have a tap low down to the right of the entrance and then the one top left near the kitchen. I have connected both to the pump and use the lower one for the shower. Maybe you can connect only that one to the filters since the outlet comes from inside under the bed.

One below showing the pipe running through the floor to the pump.

I

Below is a picture of my pump. I have replaced my pipes with black irrigation pipe. Food grade silicone is a much better option. No need for all those elbows.....

This one shows the other outlet just visable in the top left of this picture.

Last edited by Kooskop; 2012/10/08 at 08:20 AM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    You have a tap low down to the right of the entrance and then the one top left near the kitchen.
    Actually, Michael, as I have it, the BL's now comes with only the one tap left of the door as standard. Your's, being one of the first, could have been different as the undercarraige mounted water tank with pump only came later and was aftermarket fitted to your Miskruier, thereby resulting in 2 taps.

I think ...?
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.

Jaco, you may be right about the 2nd tap. Lets hear from one of the newer owners.

I started this project this weekend and it is still a work in progress.... I'm trying to prevent the Miskruier from being blasted with stones and more importantly, stop the stones from bouncing back to the Hilux. I have already picked up a few chips on the tail gate and bumper and the paint on the Miskruier's A frame has taken a hammering. The larger mud flaps I had fitted on the Hilux is helping and I am hoping this will stop the rest of the stones. All I'm trying to do is keep the stones at ground level and force them to just pass through underneath the Miskruier. I still need to get proper shock cord that will handle sharp turning. I want to make it simple to just hook on and off and only use it on gravel roads. Our Namibia trip next year will be a good test and I suspect the shade cloth is going to take strain.....

Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Can some body tell me what is the hight of the "Flooi" or "Miskruier's" aluminium nosecone. We are not sure if our old gasbottels will fit in an upright position and wan't to know if it will be necessary to buy new one's?
    [SIGPIC]
    Bushlapa Vlooi nr B85,

Now called "Stokstertjie"
    Hilux D4D DC

Michael, I see that you do not have the 2 jerry can's fitted on your photo. Where do you store your jerry can's?
    [SIGPIC]
    Bushlapa Vlooi nr B85,

Hilux D4D DC

Elsabe, I can strap 4 jerry cans into the back of the bakkie in such a way that they cannot move. The gap from the wheel arch to the back of the tail gate takes 2 cans on each side. Having jerry cans inside is not ideal but I have them in the upright position and I have done Namibia, Botswana and Mozambique with no hassles, no spills and no fumes. I make sure to empty them asap.

The standard nose cone is the one with the jerry cans but I saw the full nose cone on Jannie's prototype and asked him to make me the full nose cone. It is just so much easier to dump all my poles, rods, full size spade, rake, broom etc. in there. I only really use the jerry cans once a year when we travel across the border.
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2012/10/08 at 01:41 PM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Elsabe Terblanche View Post
    Can some body tell me what is the hight of the "Flooi" or "Miskruier's" aluminium nosecone. We are not sure if our old gasbottels will fit in an upright position and wan't to know if it will be necessary to buy new one's?
    You could ask Jannie to make yours higher if that is an issue. if it is a Flooi, you could do what I saw someone did at the GTG. They put mounting brackets on top of the nose cone on each side and they have their 2 gas bottles on top. On the Flooi you do not have anything opening over the nose cone so you can do that and still have all the space inside the nose cone .
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Elsabe, 460mm from the floor to the top. The opening of the door is, of course, a little less.

I too, ordered the full nose cone. I already have an auxiliary tank on the bakkie. The broken nose cone (with the jerry cans) restricts one too much wrt what can be stored there, IMO.

Thank you very much everybody for your input it is very helpful. I like the idea of the gas bottles mounting brackets on top.
    Last edited by Elsabe Terblanche; 2012/10/08 at 02:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    Bushlapa Vlooi nr B85,

Hilux D4D DC

I like the idea of the gas bottles mounting brackets on top.
    Elsabe, this may be very practical, but personally, the BL has such a smooth look to it, that I would not like to spoil it with gasbottles on the nose cone.

This is also the main reason why I have not come round to upgrading to the Bushwing. I will probably struggle to get use to that protrusion to the front of the caravan by the closed bushwing.

This is, of course, a matter of personal taste (practicality versus aesthetics), but looks are important to me, proof being by my beautiful wife and my Triton.

I mean, just look at it ...

I'm now used to the "punt in die wind" wing on my Miskruier . I went through the GTG photos but unfortunately I do not have a picture of the one with the gas bottles on the nose cone.....not from the front anyway....

Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

how hard is it to pitch the normal BL tent if one is not in favour of the "punt in die wind" which really aint that bad.

Not hard at all........just not worth it for quick stops.....+/- 10 - 15 min longer.....
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Just a general comment, I would not put gasbottles exposed in the front of any caravan or trailer. The stones will nail them.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Just a general comment, I would not put gasbottles exposed in the front of any caravan or trailer. The stones will nail them.
    They are quite high up if they are on top. I do not have any stone chip damage at that level on the Miskruier but I do prefer to have them clean and dust free .
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    how hard is it to pitch the normal BL tent if one is not in favour of the "punt in die wind" which really aint that bad.
    Carl, both has sideskirts that just zip on, so that should be about the same, I suppose.

The big difference is in the roof. The bushwing just swing open, while the L-shape has to be guided into alu tracks, has poles along the hull of the caravan (which lifts the roof and create a slope) that must be inserted and extended.

Further, the bushwing can "hang" by itself if there is no wind, whilst the L-shape has to be supported by at least 3 cornerpoles with guy-ropes and tentpegs.

Also, one person can swing the bushwing open, but for the L-shape, at least 2 persons are necessary.

Michael has experience of both, but I estimate the difference in erecting the 2 roofs at 15 - 20 min. I think there is no question, if ease of use is your main priority, it has to be the bushwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Kruger View Post
    Further, the bushwing can "hang" by itself if there is no wind, whilst the L-shape has to be supported by at least 3 cornerpoles with guy-ropes and tentpegs.
    Unlike the Ostrich wing, the Bush Wing has an additional leg that swivels in the opposite direction from the front end of the "punt in die wind". That one leg does need a support pole and a guy rope at all times. The rest of the wing is as Jaco explained. The L-shape is ok but the moods was always running high by the time it was up. In the end - before I upgraded to the wing - I would just use my easy-up gazebo in front of the Miskruier.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    ... one leg does need a support pole and a guy rope at all times. The rest of the wing is as Jaco explained.
    What I was (succesfully) trying to demonstrate, was that one should only comment on that of which one has personal experience.

However, beware, not all my lessons are free.

....you saw the Ostrich wing in action and that works exactly as you explained.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Page 9 of 364 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 34 59 109 259 ... LastLast