Bush Lapa mods - Page 8

Page 8 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 33 58 108 258 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Lapa mods

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Storm View Post
    some people say you should not tow in 5th gear.
    Dave, I'm not the most mechanical minded person, but here is my 2c.

My father believed that one should only tow in the vehicle's direct gear, which is normally 4th gear on a 5-speed gearbox. 5th is normally a very small gear that does not introduce power to the drive train, but is economical.

I once had a problem on an Isuzu bakkie when I towed in 5th. Had to replace the gearbox bearings in Port Nolloth of all places. After that I only towed in 4th (with subsequent bakkies as well) and had no further trouble, but it makes a huge difference in fuel consumption.

On the auto I now have, I started out towing in the direct gear and not in overdrive, but after speaking to the manufacturer I now tow in overdrive. The gearbox shifts down when needed.

So, to answer your question, if the Prado has an auto box, tow in drive (or overdrive if available) and it will protect itself and down shift when necessary. If a manual gearbox, tow in the direct gear, normally 4th.

Of course, I may be completely wrong.
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

We should maybe list the vehicles that have issues with the LEG tail lights on the Bush Lapas. Granted Jannie and his team now know that this is an issue and will warn their future clients. LED's is the way everything is going and it is sad that some vehicle manufacturers do not make provision for this. Bush Lapa will also not downgrade to old school globes so lets hope vehicle manufacturers get this sorted ASAP. So far I only know of:

New Ford Ranger
    Land Rover Discovery
    Amarok (added 4/10/2012)

Please feel free to add to the list.
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2012/10/04 at 09:22 AM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Please feel free to add to the list.
    I cannot add to the list, but can state that the Mitsubishi's apparently also does not have this problem. My Triton is actually the old Pajero in a different body and therefore "old school" as well, but does not have this problem. Sebastiaan has also not complained about this in his Colt.

My previous bakkie, a 2004 Ford Ranger, also did not have this problem. Seems to be something with new models.
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.

I suspect that are making the newer models "too clever"
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Rob, Just a tip with the DewHot geyser. Fit a normal little chrome stop tap (not sure what they are called) on the hot water outlet of the geyser. All you need is the tap, metal elbow connection and thread sealing tape. I posted a picture below of your unit off your Rooimier review thread. See the tap on my unit - 2nd picture. It is just so much easier to manage the water from there when for example running hot water for dishes. The tap on the trailer can stay open. This saves you from running to the geyser when opening the tap on the Rooimier . Running water directly from the geyser also cuts out the waiting for the hot water to make it to the end of whatever extension you are using.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Thanks for the tip Michael, will do.

You guys have totaly sold me on a BL!

But what still needs to convince me is how much space there is to stand in front of the beds, can some one please post a series of pics of the interior giving a "panaromic" view maybe a youtube video.....

Has anybody tackled something like VanZyls pass with a BL or did some wading?

I have put a reply under the "Vlooi" thread. Just to confirm that Amarokke also have the same issue as Ford and Discos. But I am getting a special towbar-lume combination fitted next Friday in Worcester. After fitment.....it's collection time at Bushlapa, 10 weeks waiting over for our Miskruier!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Kruger View Post
    Sebastiaan has also not complained about this in his Colt.
    I had a different problem though, and really hope I found the solution. Everytime I hookup the BL we check the lights with ignition on but engine not running, everything works fine. Soon as I start the Colt the 10A fuse in the engine bay for the dashlights and left rear taillight of bakkie blows, resulting in taillights on BL not working with headlights on. Stripped the wiring loom on the bakkie and found one wire connected by one strand only and another where the plastic was damaged. Bought some towbar wire from Autozone and rewired the loom on the bakkie. Checked everything and all appeared in order. Forgot to start the bakkie. On the way to Jamaka realised that problem wasn't resolved at one of the stop / go points, fortunately still daylight but getting late. I then spoke to Francois at BL who suggested a contact John O Kennedy (don't know if he is member here), he also had a problem with his Colt. He was very helpful and explained what he and his Dad to resolve his problem. Last weekend I stripped everything again, when comparing the diagram and the male plug wiring I noticed that the red wire was connected to the no 2 point(blue) and that 6 (red) was blank. Swopped the red to no 6 and checked everything while bakkie was idling, everything except brake lights worked. I then remembered John mention that his Dad had to bridge a wire. I then bridged 2 & 6 and everything worked while bakkie idling. I hope that resolves my problem, will know on Friday when going away for weekend.
    Maybe someone could use this to solve a similar problem. If any of the electrical experts see a problem for possible damage in the above please advise.
    Last edited by Sebastiaan; 2012/10/03 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Landcruiser 79 Series D/Cab 4.2L Diesel
    Bush Lapa Miskruier (no: 34)

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    You guys have totaly sold me on a BL!

But what still needs to convince me is how much space there is to stand in front of the beds, can some one please post a series of pics of the interior giving a "panaromic" view maybe a youtube video.....

Two adults can stand on the floor space with ease and I doubt if anybody is tall enough for the height to be a problem. I'm sure there are some pics here somewhere. My next camp is only next month so maybe someone else can help out with a video clip.

I have no doubt the BL will go where you take it. It is not a question of whether it is capable.....more a question of.... do you have the b-lls to take it there...
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

... how much space there is to stand in front of the beds, can some one please post a series of pics of the interior giving a "panaromic" view maybe a youtube video.....

Carl, you can get a good idea of the inside space of a BL from the pictures on their website, see www.bushlapa.com.

The area in front of the beds is small, I'd say about 600mm x 1300mm. Remember, to be the smallest and lightest 4-sleeper off-road caravan, the Miskruier is not the most spacious on the market.

I suggest you speak with Jannie. There is a very enthusiastic Miskruier-owner in Pretoria, who will apparently gladly show you his caravan. Rather go check it for yourself, you can get his contact details from Jannie.

I don't know if anyone has done Van Zylspass with a BL yet, but I can not see why not. Guys go through there with other much bigger and heavier brands.

I grew up camping with a Venter offroad trailer that my Dad bought in in the region of 1993, we took that trailer To Nam/Zim/Zam/Bots and all over in SA. But it lacks slide out systems etc, but nowadays I need to camp with a bit more ease than the old days. Thats why I am looking at the BL. The Jurgens Explorer is great, if you drive a UniMog! But I have read to many stories of bodies separating with chasis in Zambia etc.

What draws me to the BL is its weight compared to the Comander and Companion.

But I need to confirm with Swambo (signed the papers on Friday!) if the inside space is enough for her. We stay in Brits so PTA is not a big deal for us.

What draws me to the BL is its weight compared to the Comander and Companion.
    I get what you mean.......I had a Commander for exactly 4 years..... Don't worry, your wife will love the BL...
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

... but nowadays I need to camp with a bit more ease than the old days.
    Damn Carl, you sound like an old man ... at 27!

I cannot compare the BL to other brands, because I have no personal experience of the others. What made me decide on the Miskruier was it's size, weight, ease of use and ruggedness. An all stainless steel (read water crossings and coastal holidays) construction that is welded together just have to be durable. Inside space and luxurious cover materials was not high on my agenda when I compared the different brands. Your wife (and you) may feel different about this.

Please go see one in real flesh, so to speak, and decide if BL is what you want.

To date, I have been much impressed with mine.

Regarding it's off-road abality, I have to agree with Michael, if the towing vehicle and the driver is capable enough, there is not many places a BL will not go. Obviously, there will be obstacles that is off limits to any off-road caravan or trailer, but as I have said before, logic dictates that a ligther and smaller caravan, will traverse an obstacle easier than a bigger, heavier one.
    Last edited by Jaco Kruger; 2012/10/04 at 10:24 AM.

But what still needs to convince me is how much space there is to stand in front of the beds, can some one please post a series of pics of the interior giving a "panaromic" view
    These may help a bit.....keep in mind that only the 1st pic is the Miskruier. The others are the smaller 3 sleeper Boskriek.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3809[1].jpg 
Views:	3446 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	169022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3810[1].jpg 
Views:	4949 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	169023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3812[1].jpg 
Views:	4231 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	169024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4092[1].jpg 
Views:	4643 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	169025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture_201[1].jpg 
Views:	3441 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	169026  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Jaco: I dont mind roughing it when camping, or unloading ammo boxes from the trailer and strapping 3x3m bow tents on the roof, but these days we work so hard and I would rather spend my time with my wife than an extra 2 hours pitching camp.

Kooskop: thanks for the pics, the space in front of the bed is not that much, but you cant have it all in one package, somewhere there will be compromise.

What is the possibility to attach a tow ball to the rear of the BL to tow a small boat or to use as a recovery point?

What is the possibility to attach a tow ball to the rear of the BL to tow a small boat or to use as a recovery point?
    Chances are good. The chassis is made of s/s and solid. The bottom section is at an angle at the back so you might need to extend it quite a bit....this could be an issue if the boat trailer is heavy. Bounce your idea off Jannie. My camping buddy has a small trailer for his F650GS and is also looking at going this route.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Jaco: I dont mind roughing it when camping, or unloading ammo boxes from the trailer and strapping 3x3m bow tents on the roof, but these days we work so hard and I would rather spend my time with my wife than an extra 2 hours pitching camp.
    I was just stirring, I do that ... although it mostly annoys people.

I too was tired of pitching camp for 2 hours, especially on an overlanding trip, that just drains your enthusiasm. In the Miskruier I found the perfect overlanding 4-sleeper caravan.

Regarding your comment about recovery points at the back of the caravan, I would have liked that as well, could come in handy. The jack points would have to suffice, but certainly just for pulling at the caravan, not any kind of jerking.

Michael, I installed your multi-plug mod this weekend in my Miskruier. It works great and is invisible (except when in use, of course).

The wife is extremely excited, 'cause it's off to the shops now for kitchen appliances to take along on the next outing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Would someone be so kind as to describe/post a photo of where the water pump is mounted on the Miskruier and where the piping for the taps is run. I have been designing a water system that integrates a filter and external pickup but I am now wondering where I can fit it in the trailer.

Thanks.
    Jason Porter

1989 HJ61 'The Cruiser'
    Bush Lapa Boskriek #98 'The Snoozer'

'Life is great when you are in 98!'

Page 8 of 348 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 33 58 108 258 ... LastLast