Bush Lapa mods - Page 5

Page 5 of 347 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 55 105 255 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Lapa mods

Lekker Johan R (hoop ook Krummelpap), baie geluk. My pyn is amper verby, tyd gaan maar moeilik verby hoor.
    Last edited by Tobie4x4; 2012/09/06 at 07:29 PM.

Hi guys, I trust I'm at the right place, have just ordered a BL, does anyone have towing fuel stats for the BL,would be good to have the fuel consumption of your vehicle without towing and also towing the BL - thanks guys

Hi Dave - the Disco computer went from 10.5l per 100klm to 13.5.
    That was with the Rooimier over 400ks.
    Not sure how accurate it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Storm View Post
    does anyone have towing fuel stats for the BL,would be good to have the fuel consumption of your vehicle without towing and also towing the BL
    Welcome Dave! Regarding your question....too many variables...... I basically only use the Hilux to tow but what I do know is that I am using in excess of 20% less fuel on ave, per trip, with the Miskruier compared to the Commander I had for 4 years. At times I hit 25L per 100km with the Commander whereas it runs in the 17 - 18L per 100km with the Miskruier. It might still seem high but keep in mind that I only get 17 - 18 in town when I'm not towing.....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

So can budget a extra +/- 30% more fuel when towing the BL, sounds good!!

Also like some advise on solar panels, will be using a 90lt N/L, the standard led lights supplied with the BL plus one extra led spot light, a Ice Machine and a electric stove plate that uses 1,200w( the stove plate not a must, but like the green idea seeing that we have solar)

My question is, do I downsize the solar panel that Jannie supplies and fit 2 x smaller units to the roof of the BL with the idea in mind of removing one panel when camping under shade or is it advisable to leave Jannies standard solar panel and carry around a extra panel loose in the van?

The standard 120w panel is a perfect fit on the opening section of the roof. Do a few test runs with the standard setup and then decide if you need the additional panel. Once set up, it is not easy to get to that section of the roof and I suspect removing and fitting a panel up there will be a mission. Maybe Aviator609 can comment as his panel is removable.

The current system is over designed and you will have no problem with the 90L NL and lights. I would swop the electric stove for a gas one. All of this is purely my opinion with some experience having used my Miskruier for more than a year.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Thanks for the info Mike, will be using the gas as supplied by Jannie, but spotted a rather nifty electric stove plate at the Getaway Show in Joburg recently, it's a sealed unit made of durable material and very light, www.snappychef.co.za ,
    thought this would be good to use for that cuppa coffee or tea and you will save on gas on those long trips.

I see they say it can be used on a 1500W pure sine wave inverter. It would be interesting to know what the inverter will draw out of the batteries when using this setup. You will obviously be doing some testing before venturing into the bundu's. You must keep us updated .
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Question

Michael and Jaco, perhaps you can help (can only contact Jannie on Monday) What lights does the BL have as standard on the inside. I am thinking of reading light in bed and even to be able to see in shelves / cupboard.

My BL info sources must be away for the weekend!! (lucky so and so's ) they normally respond instantaneously

Also like some advise on solar panels, will be using a 90lt N/L, the standard led lights supplied with the BL plus one extra led spot light, a Ice Machine and a electric stove plate that uses 1,200w( the stove plate not a must, but like the green idea seeing that we have solar)
    1200w is almost 100 amps on a 12v system which requires some pretty hefty wiring. It is unlikely that the solar panel would keep up even under modest use. As a comparison, the fridge will probably draw only 2-3 amps on average.
    Last edited by racingjason; 2012/09/10 at 07:52 AM.
    Jason Porter

1989 HJ61 'The Cruiser'
    Bush Lapa Boskriek #98 'The Snoozer'

'Life is great when you are in 98!'

Sorry Tobie...busy weekend....

The LED's used is the kind that is fitted on an aluminium strip. I'm not sure of the name. Jannie will be able to sort you out .
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie4x4 View Post
    What lights does the BL have as standard on the inside. I am thinking of reading light in bed and even to be able to see in shelves / cupboard.
    Sorry Tobie, I wasn't at the computer this weekend. The standard light inside the BL is a single 6 (or 8, I'm not sure) LED light in the roof. When the roof opens it shines into the cupboards. I find that single light sufficient.

A reading light is a problem as the pillows will be at the "tent side" of the bed, if you get what I'm trying to say. Therefore there is no panel to which the reading light can be attached so that it will be at the correct height. I don't know if Jannie has a solution for this, but we simply use our headlights (you know, the good old trusted "kopliggie").
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

So can budget a extra +/- 30% more fuel when towing the BL ... a electric stove plate that uses 1,200w ...
    Dave, I have a drop of about 2 km/l in fuel consumption when towing the fully kitted and stocked Miskruier (which was 1340kg on a weighbridge).

Stick with the gas, rather take another gasbottle along than another stove. I agree with Jason, an electric stove will just drain your batteries whilst having a perfectly good gas stove available.
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Kruger View Post

A reading light is a problem as the pillows will be at the "tent side" of the bed, if you get what I'm trying to say. Therefore there is no panel to which the reading light can be attached so that it will be at the correct height. I don't know if Jannie has a solution for this, but we simply use our headlights (you know, the good old trusted "kopliggie").
    Thank you Jaco, I had a short discussion with Francois and he explained the setup. He also very kindly offered to, if we feel we need more lights, they will gladly add them for us when we collect our Vlooi (already nicknamed "Buksie") Another example of excellent customer service (which is soooooo scarce these days), thanks BL!

Hi guys. Have been following the forum for months and research camping gear/trialers/caravans for two years and have a BL on order nr 64. Can not wait to put it to the test. Great forum and good info to make the right decision. Went to Worcester for work and stopped at Bush Lapa just to see what they are doing. Ordered the next day - 12th of July.

Jazman, you are close on my heels. We are nr 59 and today received the news that it is ready for collection. As we stay in Pretoria we can only collect on 25 September...... The waiting is killing me

Why only then Tobie4x4? There is a lot of transporters moving in and out of Cape Town every date. Organise your BL a lift to Pretoria!

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    The standard 120w panel is a perfect fit on the opening section of the roof. Do a few test runs with the standard setup and then decide if you need the additional panel. Once set up, it is not easy to get to that section of the roof and I suspect removing and fitting a panel up there will be a mission. Maybe Aviator609 can comment as his panel is removable.

The current system is over designed and you will have no problem with the 90L NL and lights. I would swop the electric stove for a gas one. All of this is purely my opinion with some experience having used my Miskruier for more than a year.
    Our panel is removable, but we have never ever had the need to remove it. Parking with the solar panel facing north has always kept our batteries charged, but I do not think this will hold water with an electrical stove, incl snappychef running of an inverter.

In this case you may have to move the solar panel to face the sun for optimal charging. Even then do I doubt if it will maintain the charge sufficiently if the stove gets used often.

Let us know how it goes please!

Welcome Jazman! Hier gaan ons nog lekker gesels .

Quote Originally Posted by Jazman View Post
    Why only then Tobie4x4? There is a lot of transporters moving in and out of Cape Town every date. Organise your BL a lift to Pretoria!
    I think Tobie is killing 2 birds with one stone. Why not collect it personally and do a camping trip al the way back home...

PS - Krummelpap and his wife popped over last night to have a look at my Miskruier. It was very nice to meet the 2 of you Gawie - we could possibly be adding another Vlooi to the works ?
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2012/09/11 at 08:32 AM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Page 5 of 347 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 30 55 105 255 ... LastLast