Page 379 of 385 FirstFirst ... 129 279 329 354 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,580 of 7682

Thread: Bush Lapa mods

  1. #7561
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    PTA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    143
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Hi Guys, I have a Bushlapa Baobab (2259) and it has the 160W fixed panel on the roof. I知 looking to be able to use a external portable panel for when parked in the shade and want some advice on the best route. I was thinking of using a panel with regulator and plugging it into the BH on the a-frame but was now advised by the agents who are servicing it(not bushlapa themselves) that they recommend that I just have a BH wired into the existing Victorian MPPT controller and plug the panel into this? Will this work if say the Fixed Panel and portable panel are different makes and say 150W? Appreciate the feedback.

  2. #7562
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Clanwilliam
    Age
    41
    Posts
    299
    Thanked: 62

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Quote Originally Posted by HooknCook View Post
    Hi Guys, I have a Bushlapa Baobab (2259) and it has the 160W fixed panel on the roof. I知 looking to be able to use a external portable panel for when parked in the shade and want some advice on the best route. I was thinking of using a panel with regulator and plugging it into the BH on the a-frame but was now advised by the agents who are servicing it(not bushlapa themselves) that they recommend that I just have a BH wired into the existing Victorian MPPT controller and plug the panel into this? Will this work if say the Fixed Panel and portable panel are different makes and say 150W? Appreciate the feedback.
    I am not electrical expert. But had the same dilemma in 2019 when I bought my miskruier.

    I was advised that if you would like to use the same solar controller for 2 different solar panels that their voltage output and watts should be the same (ideally). Or that you can use one at a time. Thus when in shade disconnect the panel on the roof and vice versa.

    In the end I bought a second solar controller so that I could use both panels at the same time when camping in winter (for example) I have a 300w on the roof and a 100w portable.
    I also laid a new wire from the a frame to the controller in the BL. This was so that I can still use the existing wire in a crunch with the DC/DC I have in my vehicle. Also as the distance between your solar regulator and batteries should be as short as possible. (maybe a bit over the top)

    Just my 2c from what I have learned on this community.

  3. #7563
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    PTA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    143
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Thanks for your feedback, what I知 told now by bushlapa is it will work but obviously if both providing power you will only get what the mppt controller can accept. Should it not work perfectly, I will just fit a switch onto the wire leading to the roof panel to disconnect it when I知 using the portable panel.

  4. #7564
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PE & North Africa
    Posts
    820
    Thanked: 535

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    This is what I did, to me the least complicated and, at the time, I had to tend to factory wiring issues, so it was a two-in-one job.

    The factory connection between the panel wire and the wire going down to the MPPT was very very badly joined. Both butt connectors were shockingly crimped and both pulled loose a year after I got my Baobab. On the Baobab, you will see there is a stitched flap on the roof canvas above the side bed. Behind this canvas is where the join was hiding. The wire was short and very tight (at full roof extension), plus the bad crimping, led to it coming loose.

    So what I did was extend the wire by 30cm, added an Anderson plug to both sides and slipped it back up and under that flap from the bottom. (Would be great if that flap had velcro even just on one side) Anyway...

    So now, if parked in shade or need to use a mobile panel for whatever reason, just unplug the roof-mount one at that point, and connect your mobile panel via your 10m lead.

    This way you have one controller, don't have to worry about panels, voltages this and that... its one or the other.

    Also, remember that whoever wires your new wire (from the second MPPT to the battery), if that is your plan, that is goes through the shunt correctly, else your BMV will not register the charging.

    That is my 2c.

    Cheers,

    Grumbles
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Grumbles; 2021/05/18 at 12:00 PM.
    2021 Hilux Raider 2.8 GD-6 4x4 D/C Auto "Luxy"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"


    Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is healthier than Crystal Meth!



  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumbles For This Useful Post:


  6. #7565
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    PTA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    143
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Thanks Grumbles. That looks like a good alternative. I will use the same MPPT controller for now. I知 going to check that connection you refer to as well to make sure it痴 not badly done.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to HooknCook For This Useful Post:


  8. #7566
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,544
    Thanked: 546

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Quote Originally Posted by HooknCook View Post
    Hi Guys, I have a Bushlapa Baobab (2259) and it has the 160W fixed panel on the roof. I’m looking to be able to use a external portable panel for when parked in the shade and want some advice on the best route. I was thinking of using a panel with regulator and plugging it into the BH on the a-frame but was now advised by the agents who are servicing it(not bushlapa themselves) that they recommend that I just have a BH wired into the existing Victorian MPPT controller and plug the panel into this? Will this work if say the Fixed Panel and portable panel are different makes and say 150W? Appreciate the feedback.
    It will work fine to plug the portable panel with regulator in at the existing BH plug on the A-frame. Sure, there will be minor voltage drop from there to the battery but nothing that will have a massive impact. And it will work fine in conjunction with the panel on the roof. And you can use the portable panel for other purposes if necessary.

    Rather don't use a single controller for two panels at the same time (unless they catch the same amount of sunlight). One panel in the shade will interfere and reduce the power from the other panel.

    One option is to install a second regulator on the existing wire coming from the A-frame but then you won't be able to use that to charge from your vehicle. That said, I never charge while driving anyway so it's probably not that big an issue.
    Last edited by Musashi; 2021/05/19 at 08:50 PM.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:


  10. #7567
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Gariepdam
    Age
    41
    Posts
    28
    Thanked: 43

    Smile Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Ek het hierdie stort vloer gemaak vir my Ratel,hy pas lekker in stort en jy kan n pyp met gardena koppel sodat jou water wegloop van jou ratel af en as jy klaar is stoor jy hom maklik op dak langs bestaande sonpaneel.

    Hy weeg so 12kg en kan maklik 130kg hanteer.

    Niks meer modder en gras onder jou voete nie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210522_103340.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	616274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210522_103253.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	616275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210522_103350.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	616276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210522_103440.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	389.6 KB 
ID:	616277  

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pentafam For This Useful Post:


  12. #7568
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    98
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post
    Evening all, I'd like some input and sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I have searched and can't find any discussion.
    When we use the gas cooker, the heat radiates down and heats up the drawer below. Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm thinking of some kind of insulating material to put under the gas cooker but don't know what.
    Regards, Matt
    We has BL add a sheet of stainless under the cooker, it made a big difference. It has the added bonus of making cleanup under the cooker a bit easier.
    Jason Porter

    1989 HJ61 'The Cruiser'
    Bush Lapa Boskriek #98 'The Snoozer'

    'Life is great when you are in 98!'

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racingjason For This Useful Post:


  14. #7569
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Had no use for the two jerry cans in the nose cone. Have extra fuel tank and water tank on my vehicle. Decided to utilize that space for ground sheets or whatever else that needs to be packed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210622_075751 (002).jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	620012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210622_075807 (002).jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	620013  

  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeNed For This Useful Post:


  16. #7570
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PE & North Africa
    Posts
    820
    Thanked: 535

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNed View Post
    Had no use for the two jerry cans in the nose cone. Have extra fuel tank and water tank on my vehicle. Decided to utilize that space for ground sheets or whatever else that needs to be packed.
    Great idea.

    If one were to do that to a BL that has the front bed, I would opt for a door on the front, hinged on the right (when you look at the space). You would also need to modify the cover, but that is really neat.

    Who did it?

    Grumbles
    2021 Hilux Raider 2.8 GD-6 4x4 D/C Auto "Luxy"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"


    Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is healthier than Crystal Meth!



  17. #7571
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,704
    Thanked: 436

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Ek het 'n ouer Boskriek BL142,en wil die pale van die kant bed verander na die nuwe tipe wat opvou.Daar is instruksies met afmetings hoe om dit te doen,maar ek kry dit nieKan iemand help?

    Groete
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

  18. #7572
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbles View Post
    Great idea.

    If one were to do that to a BL that has the front bed, I would opt for a door on the front, hinged on the right (when you look at the space). You would also need to modify the cover, but that is really neat.

    Who did it?

    Grumbles
    Good Morning Grumbles, we have a company Oryx Canopies here is Swakopmund, he did the mod for me. Andre does a really good job.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNed For This Useful Post:


  20. #7573
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    Ek het 'n ouer Boskriek BL142,en wil die pale van die kant bed verander na die nuwe tipe wat opvou.Daar is instruksies met afmetings hoe om dit te doen,maar ek kry dit nieKan iemand help?

    Groete
    Goeie more DiscoFrans, het hierdie PDF vir Bush Lapa mods en glo die details het wat jy soek.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #7574
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,704
    Thanked: 436

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Dankie Mike,het dit gesien.Hulle konsentreer meer op die voorste bed vir Miskruier?

    Sal die naweek kyk of ek regkom!

    Dankie!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

  22. #7575
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marina Beach
    Posts
    254
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    We have a Vlooi and either traveling with the Pajero or Triton. We run additional to the NL 90l in the trailer a NL battery box with the Waco fridge. Found that on slow game drives the NL battery box does not charge sufficient to keep the Waco running. I want to charge the be battery box from the solar panel on the BL. Should I bring a cable with by plug from the battery or the solar charger? The NL battery box has a panel on that will not charge once the main battery is changed.
    Jean Joubert
    Triton 3.2 Auto
    Pajero 3.2 (SWAMBO)
    Allutop +
    Bushlapa Vlooi

  23. #7576
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    59
    Posts
    186
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Not a mod but struggling getting my geaser higher Than 45C. Gas open, water full, air valve open. Both gas and water flow full on geyser, have tested with different settings can anyone recommend something that I am. Missing

  24. #7577
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDonkie View Post
    Not a mod but struggling getting my geaser higher Than 45C. Gas open, water full, air valve open. Both gas and water flow full on geyser, have tested with different settings can anyone recommend something that I am. Missing
    You need to slow the water flow. Try gas at max and water flow at half. If the pump starts pulsating, increase water flow slightly until pulsating stops. You should get between 52 and 54 degrees.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeNed For This Useful Post:


  26. #7578
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Upington
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,097
    Thanked: 72

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDonkie View Post
    Not a mod but struggling getting my geyser higher Than 45C. Gas open, water full, air valve open. Both gas and water flow full on geyser, have tested with different settings can anyone recommend something that I am. Missing
    I found this very helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5v1-xt47B8
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

  27. #7579
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Alfred
    Age
    68
    Posts
    304
    Thanked: 84

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods (additional Solar Panels)

    There has been some discussion around this topic recently.
    Most of the time the current solar panel on my BL is sufficient, unless the camp site has a lot of trees.
    I want to have additional solar panel input for the BL for such times, which can also be used to charge the 2nd battery (NL battery box) in the back of the vehicle.
    I am in the process of putting something together, but not being too technical, would appreciate any comments from the more technically inclined and experienced guys on the forum.

    I have 2 panels (80w each) to be connected in parallel.
    Panel specs are as follows:
    Type - Polycrystalline
    Max Power - 80W
    Max Power voltage - 18.0V
    Max Power current - 4.45A
    Open Circuit Voltage - 22.18V
    Short Circuit Current - 4.76A

    I assume this will give me a maximum output of 18 volts at 8,9 amps. I understand that in real life this will probably be less due to sub-optimal conditions, efficiency losses etc.
    I am leaning towards a normal PWM controller (the price of MPPT controllers scares me and is probably overkill for this setup).

    I have a few questions:
    1. Any reason to spend more money on a MPPT controller, or will the PWM controller be OK?
    2. Will a 10 amp controller be OK, or should I go bigger (20 amp, 30 amp ....)?
    3. Where should the controller be ... closest to the solar panels or closest to the batteries? Or does it not matter?
    4. What size/thickness wiring should be used?
    5. Is there a maximum length that the wire can be between the controller and the batteries?
    Anything else I need to consider?

    Thanks.
    Triton 3.2 A/T D/Cab 4x4 (EGR blanked, Remapped, 63mm zorst)
    BL Vlooi 295
    Platkar - Rav4
    Previously: Isuzu "LUV", Disco D1 TDi, KZ-TE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office

  28. #7580
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,544
    Thanked: 546

    Default Re: Bush Lapa mods (additional Solar Panels)

    Quote Originally Posted by dust-devil View Post
    There has been some discussion around this topic recently.
    Most of the time the current solar panel on my BL is sufficient, unless the camp site has a lot of trees.
    I want to have additional solar panel input for the BL for such times, which can also be used to charge the 2nd battery (NL battery box) in the back of the vehicle.
    I am in the process of putting something together, but not being too technical, would appreciate any comments from the more technically inclined and experienced guys on the forum.

    I have 2 panels (80w each) to be connected in parallel.
    Panel specs are as follows:
    Type - Polycrystalline
    Max Power - 80W
    Max Power voltage - 18.0V
    Max Power current - 4.45A
    Open Circuit Voltage - 22.18V
    Short Circuit Current - 4.76A

    I assume this will give me a maximum output of 18 volts at 8,9 amps. I understand that in real life this will probably be less due to sub-optimal conditions, efficiency losses etc.
    I am leaning towards a normal PWM controller (the price of MPPT controllers scares me and is probably overkill for this setup).

    I have a few questions:
    1. Any reason to spend more money on a MPPT controller, or will the PWM controller be OK?
    2. Will a 10 amp controller be OK, or should I go bigger (20 amp, 30 amp ....)?
    3. Where should the controller be ... closest to the solar panels or closest to the batteries? Or does it not matter?
    4. What size/thickness wiring should be used?
    5. Is there a maximum length that the wire can be between the controller and the batteries?
    Anything else I need to consider?

    Thanks.
    1. A MPPT comes into its own when one or more panes are partially in the shade or early morning/ late afternoon. If you can keep both panels in the sun (which is easy if they are mobile) PWM should be fine.
    2. 10A will be fine.
    3. As close to the batteries as possible, i.e. at the end of the cable. This reduces the impact of voltage drop to the battery.
    4. I would recommend at least 4mm2 but it does depend on the length. Going the proper solar cable route would be a good idea and they will be able to make a better recommendation.
    5. As short as possible, as long as necessary. There is no real maximum length but the longer the cable, the more the voltage drop and efficiency loss. I've found that I usually have sun close the caravan and don't need a really long cable.

    Consider putting hinges on the short side of the panels to make a "suitcase" when folded (and the cables and regulator fits neatly inside). Putting the hinges on the long sides makes a very tall array which can be top heavy.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. 3 Bush Lapa Miskruiers in one spot!
    By Kooskop in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 2021/02/26, 04:24 PM
  2. Project Venter Bush Baby: first impressions
    By coala in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 2014/10/28, 06:57 AM
  3. Bush Lapa Miskruier featured in.....
    By Kooskop in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011/10/03, 03:18 PM
  4. Kyknet Buitelug Expo - Bush Lapa range
    By Kooskop in forum Trailers, Caravans, Towing etc
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2011/09/29, 08:20 PM
  5. Performance mods on TD's
    By 280iNyati in forum Vehicle & Technical Chat - General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2006/09/12, 10:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •