Bush Lapa mods - Page 10

Page 10 of 341 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 35 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Lapa mods

Have a look at these http://www.stonestomper.com.au/ for a stone guard ... they will stop all stones from hitting the camper or reflecting back and hitting the back of the tow vehicle .

Thank you Rockman, that really does look the part. Converted into SA Rand (and shipping), it will not be cheap though.
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.
    In the process of going there and doing that.

Thanks rockman! That is sort of what I was going for but I want to keep it simple and easy to remove + I want it to fold up to be not much bigger than say....a 6 pack of beers (universal language ). I'll have mine running from the recovery points on the Hilux (after market) to the bottom hinge of the side doors on both sides of the Miskruier.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Thanks so much for the excellent pictures, they help immensely. Could I trouble you for two more? I would like to see a clear shot of what the area under the bed and behind the batteries looks like (the one on the BL site is kind of odd) and also one inside the kitchen cupboard towards the back of the trailer. A measurement of how deep the kitchen cupboard is from the door edge to the back of the trailer as well as the depth of the cupboard where the electrical box is would also help greatly.

The reason I am after all this is I have a water system that I have prototyped here are I want to find out if it will work. The panel has two valves and three quick connects (two shown). The idea is that with the valves I will be able to select whether I want filtered or unfiltered water (each from an individual quick connect to prevent cross contamination). The second valve is to select whether I want to draw from the tank or else from a jerry can etc (third quick connect). I anticipate that drawing from the Jerry will become useful at shower time where the can can be heated in the sun or next to the fire. I tried it out in the garage and it worked well. now I have to bend rigid tubing to connect the components (rather than plastic) and figure out where I am going to put it. I would like it on the kitchen side) The pictures don't show much but they give you the general idea. The approximate dimensions of the panel is 140mmx230mm and 100mm deep. I am going to adjust this a bit but not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Jason, Some more pics to help. I'm sure you can change the route of the piping and fit your filters under the bed.....or even in a cavity under the trailer with a protective plate over it. You have a tap low down to the right of the entrance and then the one top left near the kitchen. I have connected both to the pump and use the lower one for the shower. Maybe you can connect only that one to the filters since the outlet comes from inside under the bed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0855.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	169825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	169826  
    Jason Porter

1989 HJ61 'The Cruiser'
    Bush Lapa Boskriek #98 'The Snoozer'

'Life is great when you are in 98!'

Jason, unless someone can do this today I will see if I can do this for you tonight. I'm off on a 2 day conference from tomorrow so the weekend latest.

When you talk about the kitchen cupboard I take it you are referring to the one on the picture - the part closest to the tap on the right of the pic?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Jason, unless someone can do this today I will see if I can do this for you tonight. I'm off on a 2 day conference from tomorrow so the weekend latest.

When you talk about the kitchen cupboard I take it you are referring to the one on the picture - the part closest to the tap on the right of the pic?
    Yes that is correct. I am thinking that if it is deep enough inside the cupboard (so that the lines do not protrude past the edge of the cupboard door), I will install the valves and quick connects where the triangular reflector is on the rear of the trailer and then keep the pump in the factory location.
    Jason Porter

1989 HJ61 'The Cruiser'
    Bush Lapa Boskriek #98 'The Snoozer'

'Life is great when you are in 98!'

I started this project this weekend and it is still a work in progress.... I'm trying to prevent the Miskruier from being blasted with stones and more importantly, stop the stones from bouncing back to the Hilux. I have already picked up a few chips on the tail gate and bumper and the paint on the Miskruier's A frame has taken a hammering. The larger mud flaps I had fitted on the Hilux is helping and I am hoping this will stop the rest of the stones. All I'm trying to do is keep the stones at ground level and force them to just pass through underneath the Miskruier. I still need to get proper shock cord that will handle sharp turning. I want to make it simple to just hook on and off and only use it on gravel roads. Our Namibia trip next year will be a good test and I suspect the shade cloth is going to take strain.
    Michael,

Jannie made this stone guard cover for us from shade net and have strengthened it in various places.

We have gone many places with loads of stones on dirt roads and must admit we have not had a single stone chip on the back of the FJ Cruiser.

However, there is definitely some chips on the A-frame and a couple on the Miskruier's body, just above the nose cone. I suppose if it is redesigned, with the netting also going around the bottom of the A-frame, lots of chips would be prevented.

The netting folds away neatly on top of the nose cone where it is secured with 3 velcro straps.

Last edited by aviator609; 2012/10/10 at 11:02 PM.

Thats a nice cover, but it does not stop the stones traveling from the
    wheel > B-Lapa > Back window!

But maybe the stones dont go back to the window because it does not hit a sqaure surface but the nose cone directs them away.

It seems as well that Jannie is a very accomodating manufacturer and helps out alot with client needs.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Thats a nice cover, but it does not stop the stones traveling from the
    wheel > B-Lapa > Back window!

But maybe the stones dont go back to the window because it does not hit a sqaure surface but the nose cone directs them away.

It seems as well that Jannie is a very accomodating manufacturer and helps out alot with client needs.
    Hi Carlp,

As said, I have not had a single stone chip on my FJ, but there are some on the top and toward the topsides of the front of the Miskruier, above the cover. So yes, I think it does deflect it away from the vehicle and as a result some stone chips on the Miskruier. The A-frame is much worse off, and that's why I think a fully "wrapped " nose cone cover will be better!

Also as you said, Jannie goes well beyond being an accommodating manufacturer and he is always looking at improving the Bushlapa family of products!
    Last edited by aviator609; 2012/10/11 at 05:33 PM.

Jason, here is a picture of the storage space under the side-bed, if you still need it.

In the bottom left is all the side-skirts of my L-shape tent.

To the right is the battery boxes.

The pipe that runs vertically, is the filler pipe of the watertank and the horizontal pipe is the overflow.

Sorry, I forgot to measure the cavity at the right inside of the kitchen.
    Last edited by Jaco Kruger; 2012/10/12 at 07:18 AM.
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Di-D 4x4 Auto with a Bush Lapa Miskruier (#30) following closely behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Kruger View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to measure the cavity at the right inside of the kitchen.
    Jason, the measurements of the cavity at the top right shelf of the kitchen is 180mm wide x 280mm high x 220mm deep.

The cavity of the bottom shelf has a little step that is 125mm high and that also has a square tubing support beam (looks like 19mm tubing) about a third of the way in from the front. This cavity is therefore 85mm wide to the front of the step and 180mm wide above the step. It is 280mm high in front of the step and 155mm high on top of the step, while it is 280mm deep throughout (except for that support beam).

I hope this was what you needed.

This is not actually a modification, but can be helpful. Camp Cover sells a ground sheet bag that mesures 670mm x 400mm x 230mm. They have 3 sizes, this is the large.

If folded correctly, all the sideskirts of the L-shape (and I suppose the bushwing) fits neatly into that bag.

Although the BL comes with a bag for the sideskirts, this one is much smaller and has handles to carry it by. Also, the BL bag closes with velcro (which has to be kept open by one person, while another fill the bag), while the Camp Cover bag has a zip.

My reasoning is that with this bag, I can carry the sideskirts, which is rarely used on an overlanding trip, in a compact space in the towing vehicle and have the storage space under the sidebed available for bulky clothes (like jackets), bedding, etc.

The Camp Cover bag is not expensive either, after discount I paid R265.00. Must be said that I own just about every bag that Camp Cover make and therefore get a standard discount at Megaworld.

Willem, that cover looks neat. My "stone protector" is still not complete. I did manage to buy the shock cord I need this weekend. I'm not happy with the design and will have a re-look at some point.

Jaco, I also bought one of those bags at OW but I use mine for my gas geyser, hoses and all the fittings I could possibly need for any kind of tap. If you do a decent job of folding the side panels, it is amazing how small you can make that parcel....
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Jaco, picture of mine that I use for my geaser....

Name:	DSC_0640.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	171705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0641.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	171706  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

I finished my stone protector this weekend. It is quick to fit (hooks on at 4 points) and folds up to even less than the size of a six pack....

Last photo shows the beating the A frame has taken already

Name:	DSC_0627.JPG 
Views:	2633 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	171707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0628.JPG 
Views:	2604 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	171708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0642.JPG 
Views:	2599 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	171709  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Default Reading light

Reading with a head light is a pain and I have been promising my wife that I will do this. I eventually got to do this over the weekend. I really did not feel like making up the wiring, plugs and doing the soldering and connecting etc. I was therefore very happy to see that OW had this Lumeno 6 LED and 5m extension with the necessary plugs. Ok the 5m extension is overkill but I suppose it is good for using on any of the 2 beds on the Miskruier or as a lead to move the light anywhere.

I use some self adhesive velcro on the back of the light and on the canvas above the bed. In addition to the adhesive, I also stitched the one on the canvas by hand to make sure it does not come off when the light is removed. I plugged the lead in at the 12v socket by the door and ran the wire around the side of the mattress.

The 6 LED light and 5m extension in the packaging from OW. Light R159.95 and the lead R79.95.

Out of the packaging

Velcro on the light

Velcro on the canvas

Light off

Light on

Plug at the door

Name:	DSC_0629.JPG 
Views:	2621 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	171730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0631.JPG 
Views:	2578 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	171731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0633.JPG 
Views:	2498 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	171732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0634.JPG 
Views:	2709 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	171733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0635.JPG 
Views:	2535 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	171734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0636.JPG 
Views:	2627 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	171735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0637.JPG 
Views:	2562 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	171736  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

In the batery compartment of the BL (is it below the bed above the water filler?) is therr enough space for 2 105ah batteries next to each other?

What other space do you have in the rig for ammo boxes? Will a ammo box fit in the nose cone of the miskruier?

In the miskruier, if you remove the mattress for the front fold out bed if you do not have kids yet, can it then be used for packing?

Can someone post a pic of what the Miskruier looks like inside when you open the door before you open up the fold out beds?

The 2 105's can be seen on Jaco's pic he took of the space under the bed. Well only the one, the other one is behind the one on the pic. You can fit ammo boxes in the space opposite the fridge slide. I only use one - see pic. You should be able to fit 4 in there. If you need the 2nd bed for packing, get the Boskriek. That space in front on both the Boskriek and Miskruier can be used for packing. The frame and canvas of the double bed on the Miskruier will however take up some of the space. See picture below inside a boskriek. Imagine that front section closed. Plenty space albeit at an angle....

Name:	DSC_0639.JPG 
Views:	428 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	171780  
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

I plugged the lead in at the 12v socket by the door and ran the wire around the side of the mattress.

Michael, that looks like a normal lighter plug on the extension cord? As I have it, my BL only has Hella plug sockets (which is a better connection anyway). I will probably then have to substitute the lighter plug of the extension cord with a Hella plug?

Otherwise, this is a very nice and easy solution to the reading light question. Thank you.

Do you suppose one can leave the light in place when folding the bed up or do think it may damage?
    Last edited by Jaco Kruger; 2012/10/22 at 02:59 PM.

The Hella plug would be one of the improvements on the later BL's . Yes, you only need to swop the plugs. You get the 2 metal clips with the kit that can be used to secure the light fitting. I was thinking of riveting it to the pole running through the canvas just above where I fitted the velcro.

The light is tuff enough to mount and leave there.............I'm more worried about the sharp edges of the light damaging the mattress covers or canvas if it rubs against it continuously. That and the possible weak spot in that pole with 2 holes in it. I would also prefer to remove the wire and only fit the wire once the bed is set it up.

It is quick and simple to set up.....plug and attach....
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Page 10 of 341 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 35 60 110 ... LastLast