Default 1uz conversion: cooling

Hi

I am in the process of replacing the 2L-TE in my LJ78 with a 1UZ-FE. The conversion is going pretty well and I now need to start looking at the cooling system.

My thoughts are to replace the standard 2L-TE radiator with something a little larger as from what I have read there can be some cooling issues. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what radiator I should be looking at using? As I am using 1UZ's auto box, I will also need either an integrated oil cooler (like the 2L's radiator) or an external one.

Or, more importantly perhaps, does anyone know where is a good place in the Gauteng area to source radiators / oil coolers / fans / hoses / etc?

Thanks

PM sent..
    2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE AT.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

Just make 100% sure that the pitch on your radiator fan is in the right direction. MillaS had a problem on that one.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Just make 100% sure that the pitch on your radiator fan is in the right direction. MillaS had a problem on that one.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just want to make sure I understand. By pitch do you mean the angle of the fan relative to the radiator, or the pitch of the blades? I'm assuming the latter, as I would expect the radiator fan to operate best when the air flow is directly through it. In that case do you know what the optimum blade pitch should be?

MillaS bought a LC71 with a 1UZFE motor. The thing had overheating issues. The when he looked closely, he saw that the fan blade itself was the wrong blade. The blades were pitched in the wrong direction. It was blowing in stead of sucking.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    MillaS bought a LC71 with a 1UZFE motor. The thing had overheating issues. The when he looked closely, he saw that the fan blade itself was the wrong blade. The blades were pitched in the wrong direction. It was blowing in stead of sucking.
    I guess that can happen if you mount the fan the wrong way around. It is definitely something I'll check when I find a radiator and fan. I am going to some scrap yards as my first point of call. If I don't come right there I might just import something as the prices I have seen online are very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by germondc View Post
    I guess that can happen if you mount the fan the wrong way around. It is definitely something I'll check when I find a radiator and fan. I am going to some scrap yards as my first point of call. If I don't come right there I might just import something as the prices I have seen online are very reasonable.
    Mmmm
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Do not try and save money on a radiator. I doubt if the 2.4 radiator will be enough for the Lexus. Get your self a big fat alu radiator from one of the V8 shops ( Talk to Swanie of THE V8 SHOPPE 0118695153). Also get yourself decent electric fans ( Swanie stock them as well ). The ones you buy at Midas are no good. 4X4`s move slow during off road conditions with basic no air flow generated by the moving vehicle. So having a potent cooling system is a must. Money now spend is money saved later.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Do not try and save money on a radiator. I doubt if the 2.4 radiator will be enough for the Lexus. Get your self a big fat alu radiator from one of the V8 shops ( Talk to Swanie of THE V8 SHOPPE 0118695153). Also get yourself decent electric fans ( Swanie stock them as well ). The ones you buy at Midas are no good. 4X4`s move slow during off road conditions with basic no air flow generated by the moving vehicle. So having a potent cooling system is a must. Money now spend is money saved later.
    Read this post again, lots of very important advice given.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Thanks very much for the reply and good advice. I will definitely get hold of Swanie. Thanks again.