Discovery 2: Safest place for Hi-Lift jack, etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Safest place for Hi-Lift jack, etc

I'm probably travelling solo so can get away easily without a roof-rack, especially after removing one/both of 60/40 rear-seat.

With corrugated roads but without a 2.4m roof-rack, where can I temporarily mount:

1) 1.2m Hi-lift jack (25kg)
    2) Shovel

Options I've thought of:

- on top of the bull-bar ( in accident and probably most dusty)...
    - in the rear passenger foot well (no passengers other than possibly for quick rides )...
    - vertically onto the spare (dusty)...
    - mount my 2 Thule load-bars across the Disco's roof-rails with a small 'floor' and use U-bolts for same & mount jack there...

If it can be secured properly, I'm thinking either the foot well (temp brackets onto bottom of front seats or bottom of removed rear bench) OR onto the spare are my easiest and safest methods?

Can the door 5 hinges handle another 25kg vibrating like crazy on the spare wheel? I'm quite sure that this would be fine for at least the shovel.

Can the Disco 2 roof-rails (skinny version) handle the above?

It's important that I get this right. Would really appreciate your opinions?

Thanks in advance!
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

I would go with the rear footwell - you could probably retrofit some std high lift brackets that are used for roofracks and secure it to the floor pan with large coach washers. It will be out of the dust, and if secure, then out of contention if you have an accident. In terms of the 5th door hinges - I have a 35" wheel on the back of my D2 door, and I have hammered the vehicle quite a bit. The hinges have held up fine unlike my DEF's. Not sure how much heavier the 35" wheel is than std but it is certainly a 2 man job to put the spare on the carrier!
    1998 Defender Tdi Hard Top with ARB rear locker aka Slasher
    2004 Disco 2 V8 GS with 4" lift and 35" tyres plus a couple of little extras aka Goat
    2012 Disco 4 V8 HSE aka Rocky

Hiya Oilrag. Thanks! See you've added another baby to the collection - niiice!

I like the idea of the rear footwell too but would prefer it to be a temporary fit. I can't imagine that the roofrack hi-lift fitting can be temporary. Or am I missing your point?
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

My HL Jack has been on my spare now for a few years-no probs.
    Plus its easy to get to-no need to unpack etc
    Safe(relatively) in a collision
    Dust free with a cover,if it is a bit sticky I rinse with water then use.

I once had to use it three times in a hour(Baboons Pass) and was glad it was out the vehicle to use-one bolt and a locking plate(Frontrunner product)
    Also its handy for hanging muddy boots,rubbish bag and recovery ropes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A legend in his own mind

That's neat Bob! I do have a cover. I'm also concerned that the interior will get packed thereby covering available space (inevitable on a trip). It's strange that I looked at the Front Runner www but didn't see this bracket.

By the way Bob, your wheel cover is akin to a recce's satchel. I like it. Awesome character. Same for the car.

If you're travelling alone, Alex, why not take the rear seats out of your vehicle. You'll have so much storage space that you'll find dozens of places for your hi-lift.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

The 60 portion of the 60/40 is already out for the trip. Keeping the 40 in in case I do need to give someone a ride. It's a group working holiday (hopefully 40/60 respectively ). But Mike, would prefer it out of the way and not in with the baggages and baggages and baggages... (Kidding - I go light)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexFl View Post
    That's neat Bob! I do have a cover. I'm also concerned that the interior will get packed thereby covering available space (inevitable on a trip). It's strange that I looked at the Front Runner www but didn't see this bracket.
    It's actually for a Land Cruiser,but it fits...
    Frontrunner don't always have all their stock on their website,that why I go there and mooch.
    Plus try and talk to the guys in the workshop who know whats been made,or getting designed.

Thanks for the compliment as well

But as far as packing the HL in the cabin-its got to be fastened down properly in case of a roll over or a collision.
    Then you've probably got a ton of stuff on top of it,may as well fit your fire extinguisher next to it
    It should also be quick to remove if needed in a emergency eg -you need to open a crushed roof,or a quick winch is needed.....
    I keep a length of chain with two hooks in the spare wheel bag that makes the HL jack a very versatile tool
    A legend in his own mind

I agree with Uncle Rob, best place is on the spare.
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

Quote Originally Posted by Crips View Post
    I agree with Uncle Rob, best place is on the spare.
    I agree.

On the defender mine is on the roof rack, and it is always a mission to take it off or put back. The thing is heavy, and it's mounted almost too high to reach without standing on my toes.
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

Nice Disco you have there Bob!!!!!
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

What's your route and how often are you likely to need the Hi-Lift? On a two year, 65 000km round trip, we probably used our Hi-Lift at most 10 times, mostly in Malawi during the rains, once or twice in Ethiopia in snow, and in Uganda in deep mud. I prefer to have as little kit on the outside as possible when overlanding, because anything that is useful, like a jack or a spade is very tempting for thieves. My Hi-Lift lives inside my vehicle, behind the rear passenger seats, with the head removed and kept separately in a canvas bag. I last used it 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    What's your route and how often are you likely to need the Hi-Lift? On a two year, 65 000km round trip, we probably used our Hi-Lift at most 10 times, mostly in Malawi during the rains, once or twice in Ethiopia in snow, and in Uganda in deep mud. I prefer to have as little kit on the outside as possible when overlanding, because anything that is useful, like a jack or a spade is very tempting for thieves. My Hi-Lift lives inside my vehicle, behind the rear passenger seats, with the head removed and kept separately in a canvas bag. I last used it 15 years ago.
    Good points
    But then comes-Where do I put my spare wheel.......I hardly ever use it?
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    Good points
    But then comes-Where do I put my spare wheel.......I hardly ever use it?
    It takes me about 20 seconds to get it out if I have to - the 110s rear seats fold forward, and it, and my worm drive LR jack, both sit together right there, with my spade. The reason I have the head off and separate is that it's easier to keep it in working condition packed like that - I service the head before every trip, and it literally takes seconds to pop it back on in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    It takes me about 20 seconds to get it out if I have to - the 110s rear seats fold forward, and it, and my worm drive LR jack, both sit together right there, with my spade. The reason I have the head off and separate is that it's easier to keep it in working condition packed like that - I service the head before every trip, and it literally takes seconds to pop it back on in an emergency.
    A disco 2 doesn't have storage space like a 110
    A legend in his own mind

Default More ideas

Some more ideas

Renier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8130_1.jpg 
Views:	696 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	160866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0521.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	160867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0528.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	160868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0520.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	160869  
    "If you can park your car and NOT turn around to look at it as you walk away, you haven't bought the right car"

Fancy Nancy - 2009 Pajero 3.8 Liter 24 Valve V6 SOHC MIVEC ECI- Multi Engine 6G75 with 184Kw & 329 Nm.
    Topless Tersia - 96 J-Top SWB 3.0 V6 Pajero. Restoration 99% completed.

Nice idea with it next to the wheel,it also spreads the load,but what I really like is that its tucked in closer to the body,protected by the bumper.

That is what I worry about-coming down on the base of my high lift,I'm sure it would warp the door and break the rear window.
    Think I need to use that idea
    A legend in his own mind

I cant speak for others, but i will always find a place inside for the Jack, the pump, the axe and the spade.

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Just when I thought I had all the answers... Still confused

Was about to go the route in pic 1 above for Hi-lift and spade when I saw this AWESOME spare wheel cover by OWH (all the bells and whistles). A new gadget - a real "must have".

Tony, Bob is 100% right. We're pretty hard pressed for space in a disco. The 1,2m Hi-lift fits into the rear footwell with about 2mm to spare on either end before it pokes through the speakers mounted at floor level. The Hi-Lift will possibly not get used but it's insurance. You're right it may not be necessary at all.

Another option was to mount it horizontally across the (mid-height of) after-market bull-bar. Just under the headlamps and spots. But very un-inclined to do this.

Bob, I rather like pics 2-4 above but don't want to hack away at my Disco that much. It is still my commuter too.

If I can resist the OWH spare wheel cover when next I go there - the Hi-lift will be mounted vertically on spare. If not, I'll invite some friends with a roof rack to tag along .... Noooo, I'll bury it under all the other kit in the rear footwell and hope that the plastic/panels/speakers survive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast