Discovery 2: Safest place for Hi-Lift jack, etc - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Alex
    Please consider the following, that with packing such heavy items inside your vehicle should you be involved in any accident rollover, head on, side on, or rear impact ALL the contents in your vehicle becomes missiles. Let me assure you that unrestrained objects in a vehicle are far more dangerous inside your vehicle than on a rood rack especially fuel and heavy tools. There is an anti roof rack brigade who forget to put a suitable strengthened partition between them and the contents they are carrying. Tying or hatcheting things down is not good enough because the forces in a accident are massive and multi directional. So just like the anti roof rack brigade remind you that there are limits on roof racks remember that SUV's are not designed to restrain heavy pieces of equipment inside. So please have a suitably streanthed partition made to prevent flying objects from being able to hit you , otherwise put them outside the vehicle where if you are involved in an accident they don't have direct access to you. Just think of dropping a potjie pot on your foot now imagine one at 60 kmph hitting your head? thats very ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by James MacKay; 2012/08/17 at 05:08 AM. Reason: .
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

Agreed James. Have been looking for a 2nd hand LR dog guard without luck. But if I remove the back seat/pack into rear footwell the dog guard will serve no purpose. As an alternate, would you agree that a full height/width webbing system on ratchet straps could work?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

Or just get an air jack
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

I like this setup, will do it on mine someday...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

I like that Crips but I don't think it's practical to do that (on a Disco) without spending thousands on the swing arm?
    '02 Disco 2 TD 5 facelift, auto & Terrafirma +2" (retained air in back with +2" spacers) & what next

Quote Originally Posted by AlexFl View Post
    Agreed James. Have been looking for a 2nd hand LR dog guard without luck. But if I remove the back seat/pack into rear footwell the dog guard will serve no purpose. As an alternate, would you agree that a full height/width webbing system on ratchet straps could work?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Hi Alex

To be honest I don't know, but what I can tell you is the forces in any major accident are significant. If it were me i would have something made up, yes i might be over engineering a solution but I still think steel is best but then you might have a very valid solution maybe its a case of making sure you have enough and sufficient anchor points, but HLJ I agree outside the vehicle.
    Land Rover Puma 110 '2009'
    Terrafirma suspension
    African Outback add on's

I mounted mine on the "versapper"... think its practical....

Quote Originally Posted by EcLiPsE View Post
    I mounted mine on the "versapper"... think its practical....
    I dont want to cry Wolf but where does that thing go on a head on collision with another car?

Just asking...
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

1996 Range Rover P38 4,6 HSE
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

Quote Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
    Or just get an air jack
    I have one, used it once - in my driveway, to test - and parked it up in my roof rafters.

When I deflated it, the deflating valve folded in as the bag deflated and then it resealed and I could not get to it. Took me having to get the high-lift out, lift the car, retrieve the air jack. Rubbish.
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C
    LR: '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 Auto SuperCab 4x4
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive)

Quote Originally Posted by Crips View Post
    I dont want to cry Wolf but where does that thing go on a head on collision with another car?

Just asking...
    If it stays attached to the bumper it will either go through the other cars windscreen,or into the drivers chest
    If it gets snapped off it will do the same but quicker......
    A legend in his own mind

Have you thought of the engine bay?

I had my HL jack in my Sani's engine bay. I also currently have it in my Terrano's engine bay and also in my Patrol's engine bay.

You take the "head mechanism" and the foot off and mount these seperately to the main upright and the handle. It is out of sight and keeps fairly clean in the engine bay.

The only disadvantage is that it gets fairly hot, but as one usually wears gloves when using the jack, this is not a big problem. It also cools down fast when taken out, after 5 mins it is cold.

My jacks all are held in place with 8mm bolts or nuts and I keep a size 13mm spanner in the console to remove the jack quickly.

A friend brought his F.I.L.'s 76 series Cruiser SW and we fitted his HL jack in the engine bay in an afternoon. The old man was a pleased as punch. A HL jack is always a problem in a SW.

I am looking for pics to post here.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2012/08/20 at 10:18 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Default Pictures of HL Jack in the engine bay

I have had my HL Jacks in my various vehicles' engine bays since 1999 and have never had a problem or a jack malfunction due to dirt or heat in that time. I can reccommend this as a safe place to mount yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 High lift jack - all mounted in Terrano engine bay.jpg 
Views:	4146 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	161662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 High lift jack handle against firewall.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	161663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 High lift jack main riser and foot (left).jpg 
Views:	2815 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	161664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 High lift jack main riser and foot (right).jpg 
Views:	4289 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	161665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 High lift jack main unit and elastic bands.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	161666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 High lift jack- main unit mounting plate.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	161667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7 High lift jack main unit.jpg 
Views:	3655 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	161668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 High lift jack sand plate.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	161669  

Last edited by mvcoller; 2012/08/20 at 10:23 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

I'm not sure what the issue is here. A hi-lift is never something that is needed in a hurry. It is a recovery tool of last resort, and the various components can be broken down and stored separately, which is what I do. Frankly, it is an outmoded, old fashioned tool that should only be used by people who really know how to use them, who know the risks (they can kill you if released in the wrong way and with your jaw in the way) and which can do serious damage to your vehicle if used in an uncontrolled situation. They're a nice decoration on a vehicle, a brutal and inefficient recovery tool, and a nice to have in the same way that a Series Land Rover is nice to have in the middle of the Congo. Obsolete, in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    I have had my HL Jacks in my various vehicles' engine bays since 1999 and have never had a problem or a jack malfunction due to dirt or heat in that time. I can reccommend this as a safe place to mount yours.
    Excellent idea
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I'm not sure what the issue is here. A hi-lift is never something that is needed in a hurry. It is a recovery tool of last resort, and the various components can be broken down and stored separately, which is what I do. Frankly, it is an outmoded, old fashioned tool that should only be used by people who really know how to use them, who know the risks (they can kill you if released in the wrong way and with your jaw in the way) and which can do serious damage to your vehicle if used in an uncontrolled situation. They're a nice decoration on a vehicle, a brutal and inefficient recovery tool, and a nice to have in the same way that a Series Land Rover is nice to have in the middle of the Congo. Obsolete, in other words.
    Don't agree with you,apart from that it can dangerous.
    I've used mine twice this year where it was needed in a hurry.....
    Obsolete,not a chance.
    Best tool I've owned.
    A legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblebob View Post
    Don't agree with you,apart from that it can dangerous.
    I've used mine twice this year where it was needed in a hurry.....
    Obsolete,not a chance.
    Best tool I've owned.
    I assume you're talking about urgent needs on trails? The OP is talking about overlanding, where the need for HiLifts is never urgent, and seldom a tool of first resort. Spades, local labour and intelligent driving almost always trump over drastic methods when overlanding. On extreme trails where you are deliberately putting your vehicle into recovery situations, it's a different story - I don't do trails unless I have to to get somewhere. Same as I don't do river crossings unless I have to. Different applications.

Default Hilift on D2

My solution was to use a bracket that holds the HiLift on the rear door via the spare tyre bracket. To remove the stress of the weight, I constructed and alloy paltform with a nylon "skid" that the bottom plate of the Hilif slides onto when the door is closed. The plate also relieves some of the weight of the spare as a bonus. I don't leave the Hilift on there all the time - it can bestowed inside when not likely to be needed (or left home if running to the mall :-)

The advantage of having it in the engine bay is that you never have to remove it. It is always there, out of the way.

Then, it will be there when you get a flat tyre, even when not offroad. It works a lot easier and better than the standard jack that comes with most 4x4s
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

The engine bay storage does look very neat, but, in my situation - having both a Defender and Discovery 2 - I find that the D2 has (as standard) very little access for a Hilift (you have to add hard points for jacking) and the included hydraulic jack (standard under the bonnet) works very well for tyre changing on tarmac. There is no need to carry around 20-odd kgs of jack that isn't needed on a daily basis.

OTOH, when off-road or travelling in less-developed area, my Hilift can be used three or four times a day. I used to carry it on the roof rack of my Defender, but got tired of lifting it up and down (plus didn't like adding weight so high). So it lives permanently behind the rear ladder, the Defender always being loaded with camping gear anyway.

While the engine bay storage looks very tidy, it doesn't appeal to me, personally, as when on-road it's overkill and when off-road it needs assembly before use and disassembly after use. If it's needed, for example, when you drop a wheel in a hole and ground out the diff (has happened to me more than once) it will add considerable time to getting on your way again.

There's also the weight issue on some vehicles. The Discovery 2 is not over-endowed with front spring rate (LR used uprated springs even on winch-equipped models, for example). Add a bullbar (so you can use a Hilift) and the jack itself and you are probably well past the weight of a winch (which you may also want to add). Of course, you can add uprated front springs as well, but the "load" area of a Defender or Discovery is at the rear.

Don't get me wrong, the engine bay storage has its attraction, but looking at the photos, it doesn't appear that Hilift gets the workout that mine do :-) Different people will have different needs and solutions and all ideas have value.

Steve, no, the HLJ is only looking so new because I repainted it for display on the pictures. It looks much worse for wear now.

Assembling is quick; less than 30 secs... The head slides onto the shaft and the foot goes on with a bolt and wing nut holding it in place.

I must say however, on a Defender the HLJ needs to be mounted on the outside, its part of the rugged image.

You are lucky with the D2 jack, the Nissan's has a portion that screws out to the desired lenghth, and then works with hydraulics to lift the vehicle. The grease on the thread of the screw always dirties your hands (no matter how hard you try not to) and it ends up everywhere, including your trousers. I hate those jacks with a passion.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2