How do you cook prawns? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: How do you cook prawns?

As far as allergies are concerned, I know someone who can eat prawns but getting even a morsel of shell in books him a trip to hospital.

Also have a look at Adrienne Boswell's answer on Quora: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-i...-been-deveined

Seafood allergies can start very quickly. An ex colleague of mine almost lost her husband when he suddenly became allergic for the fish they had during Sunday lunch.

Worst of all, a seafood allergy would probably be a death sentence for me. I suspect I might lose my will to live if that ever happens
    Last edited by albertvl; 2019/05/24 at 11:27 AM.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Eeee ... I believe that increases your risk of suddenly becoming allergic to seafood.
    Hasn't happened yet
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Fluffy I agree Cold prawns the next morning, Really

I've decided shellfish is overrated. Or else overpriced. Not sure which.

@ over R250 + / kg I'd rather eat prime grass fed beef
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

In the pan, BUTTER, garlic, and lemon juice, fry cleaned prawns till they change colour..
    On the braai, I use 2 skewers thru about 6 prawns (makes for easy turning on the fire) , melt butter with garlic and lemon juice... Paint prawns both sides and chill so butter sets on prawns before braaing, a bit of dhania or parsley is always good addition,
    Mayo.. Mix mayo with tomatoe sauce till a light pink add lemon, garlic to taste, fresh or pickled chopped ginger and gherkin, dill and dhania or parsley
    Enjoy.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    In the pan, BUTTER, garlic, and lemon juice, fry cleaned prawns till they change colour..
    On the braai, I use 2 skewers thru about 6 prawns (makes for easy turning on the fire) , melt butter with garlic and lemon juice... Paint prawns both sides and chill so butter sets on prawns before braaing, a bit of dhania or parsley is always good addition,
    Mayo.. Mix mayo with tomatoe sauce till a light pink add lemon, garlic to taste, fresh or pickled chopped ginger and gherkin, dill and dhania or parsley
    Enjoy.....
    Anybody using mayo and tomato sauce on fresh prawns should be shot! You're missing the taste of the prawns with all your concotions IMHO
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

The choices we make, a bit of chilli is also good, Seafood mayo.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

I also never used to be too bothered about de-veining, until I managed to bite into a lekker full prawn-hol one Saturday evening. It was...*shivers*. Since then, de-vein religiously. Toothpicks help.

Anyway, prawns are fried in a hot pan. Dash of butter, wait till it's melted nicely, dump prawns on one side. Add coarse salt, Aromat and black pepper. Flip after about 90 secs. Add a good splash of lemon juice to the pan to "steam" the prawns a bit. Helps to cook them quicker without making them rubbery. Remove from heat and serve ASAP. They get rubbery if they stay too hot for too long.

Trick is to cook only a few at a time:

I served these with potato and onion cubes, calamari rings (which came out AMAZING) and a creamy lemon butter sauce I also whipped up:
    Last edited by Toxxyc; 2019/05/24 at 03:18 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I also never used to be too bothered about de-veining, until I managed to bite into a lekker full prawn-hol one Saturday evening. It was...*shivers*. Since then, de-vein religiously. Toothpicks help.

Anyway, prawns are fried in a hot pan. Dash of butter, wait till it's melted nicely, dump prawns on one side. Add coarse salt, Aromat and black pepper. Flip after about 90 secs. Add a good splash of lemon juice to the pan to "steam" the prawns a bit. Helps to cook them quicker without making them rubbery. Remove from heat and serve ASAP. They get rubbery if they stay too hot for too long.

Trick is to cook only a few at a time:

I served these with potato and onion cubes, calamari rings (which came out AMAZING) and a creamy lemon butter sauce I also whipped up:
    The few at a time is very important. I recently discovered that with squid heads. It prevents the temps in the pan to drop too much.
    Defender 2.8i

Enjoy.....
    Fine Foods used to make a "seafood sauce" which was good with any seafood. It was a mixture of mayo ( more like a salad cream/ Fine Whip and tomato sauce mix) and was used in copious amounts by restaurants.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2019/05/24 at 05:50 PM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Well tonight I used the pizza oven properly for the first time, oh my can these things get properly hot.. I did a flattie Peri Peri chicken(orgasmic) , chicken wings, sweet potato and potatoes, they are really amazing done in the oven... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_135011.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	529216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_164340.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	529217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_165308.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	529218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_170931.jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	529219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_180734.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	529221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_182228.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	529222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_175139.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	529223

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:

Well tonight I used the pizza oven properly for the first time, oh my can these things get properly hot.. I did a flattie Peri Peri chicken(orgasmic) , chicken wings, sweet potato and potatoes, they are really amazing done in the oven... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_135011.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	529216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_164340.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	529217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_165308.jpg 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	529218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_170931.jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	529219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_180734.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	529221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_182228.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	529222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190524_175139.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	529223
    Well I suppose at 64 one does have to rely on a Peri Peri Flattie for an orgasmic experience.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    As far as allergies are concerned, I know someone who can eat prawns but getting even a morsel of shell in books him a trip to hospital.

Also have a look at Adrienne Boswell's answer on Quora: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-i...-been-deveined

Seafood allergies can start very quickly. An ex colleague of mine almost lost her husband when he suddenly became allergic for the fish they had during Sunday lunch.

Worst of all, a seafood allergy would probably be a death sentence for me. I suspect I might lose my will to live if that ever happens
    I'm with Albert on this - if I don't eat seafood at least 2-3 times a week I become a Grumpy old Man (or as my daughter of 12 calls me, a MOT - "Moerige Ou Toppie" )

Seriously though, my late mom used to love seafood - until she had to be rushed to hospital one night during a self prepared seafood dinner - and mom was so full of "fiemies" about fresh and clean food that she used to scrub her potatoes with Sunlight soap and a Brillo pad....and then peel them, so every vestige of a vein or intestines were always removed - to the point where one lost 50% of the perfectly good meat!

Afterwards she could only eat "white" fish like "stokvis" or snoek. Nothing like for example haddock and no shellfish.

We always thought and heard that it has something to do with the iodine content (although she could eat onion), but I don't know whether this is just an old wives' tale.

Maybe one of our learned medical professionals could enlighten a pleb here?
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

22. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Homophobia towards prawn now?!?
    What on earth do homos and prawns have in common? On second thoughts - maybe I'd rather not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    What on earth do homos and prawns have in common? On second thoughts - maybe I'd rather not know.
    Prawns are related to crabs, no?
    Defender 2.8i

I worked in Mozambique for 13 years and had my share of cooking/grilling/frying prawns..The best way for me is to remove the dark intestine but leave the head and shell--it adds to the flavor ---Add about 2 tablespoons of water , blob of butter, curry ,fish spice ,garlic and apricot jam in a deep pan and heat up every ting until butter has melted---Add the prawns , turn up the heat , cook until all the prawns changed color to a even orange color and the sauce thickened a bit---You can add salt to your liking but I do not add salt---Now the best part is getting the prawn out of the shell eating it and -------------licking your fingers clean ------- I do agree that you must make sure where the prawn came from---Even in Mozambique it is a gamble----Have you seen a sewage works in Moz ?? Just saying ...
    Last edited by Mark Sanderson; 2019/06/01 at 05:27 AM.
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 50 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Sanderson For This Useful Post:

I think you should consider going to the professionals....

Restaurante Parreirinha!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1997 Discovery 1 300tdi - Pussy Galore
    1996 Discovery 1 V8 - Mr Creosote

I eat a lot of braaied sea food, but i prefer to stick to basics and simple use of a limited amount of butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper usede sparingly is it for me.
    Less messing around with exotic flavors brings out the taste in the sea food.
    But i have a family member that loves his prawns smeared in peri peri.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

After everyone has chowed the prawns, I take all heads and shells and boil in a big pot of water. Makes an awesome fish stock for curries.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

I fry mine after marinating for 30min in melted 50/50 mix Spillers Per-Peri Oil and Rama Margarine

(I learned this back in the 80's from a wonderful Mozambique Portuguese lady that worked in a Maputo restaurant her whole life)

I de-vain - mainly to aid marinating
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2019/06/01 at 02:33 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 840 000 km

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4