A-frame and wiring

Default A-frame and wiring

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/11/04 at 08:11 AM.

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/11/04 at 08:11 AM.

On my zook it was just wired straight to the lights and the battery was always connected, IIRC.
    My electrical knowlegde is rather pathetic, but I'm wondering how can the battery cause problems if there is no power from the battery going to the lights when they're off...i.e. with the switches off the lights are isolated from the battery

Quote Originally Posted by Zantus View Post
    P.S. Double check the earth.
    I agree.

Make sure you have a very good earth. Both ends
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/11/04 at 08:12 AM.

Having owned a series landy, I wouldn't go for a chassis earth
    Don't mess around and get it all the way to the back and earth it at the lights, then at least you know for sure you are properly earthed.

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/11/04 at 08:12 AM.

Run a loose wire around to the back and see if it helps, if not, the problem is somewhere else.

Wink

You only need 5 wires to run the Landy's rear lights.

The standard wiring with 7 wires has a auxiliary wire for providing 12 to a trailer (to for instance run a fridge) and separate wires for the left and right tail lights. If you use a 5-core cable, you can omit the auxiliary cable (pin2) and use in wire for the tail lights by bridging pin 5 and 7.

The wiring on the towed vehicle will definitely play havoc. Everything is not simply disconnected as Zantus suspected. Different vehicle manufacturers wire their systems in weird ways, so to protect both vehicles circuitry the lights on the towed vehicle must be isolated from the rest of the cars harness. Disconnection the battery will prevent the towing vehicle from charging the towed vehicle's battery when you use the lights but there may still be other circuits connected that can draw excessive current and damage the towing vehicle's circuitry.

There is two ways to isolate the lights on the towed vehicle.

The smarter way would be to cut all the wires from the car and isolate every positive (12V) lead with a diode, which will allow current to flow to the lights from the car's own circuitry under normal operation but will prevent current from a towing vehicle to flow back into the car's existing circuitry. You do not have to isolate the earth wire, it can stay as is. Diodes can be bought at most electrical/electronic hobby shop. You can typically use a 6A100 or similar diode You will only need for 4 or 5 of them it should be below R5 each.

Ask the people there to supply you a diode that can handle 6A and you will be safe. If you are not sure, also ask them to show you which way round to solder it into the circuit.

If you wire your vehicle that way you can simply use a back to back cable (5 wire bridged or 7 wire male to male) between the two vehicles' existing female connectors.

The other way (the lazy okes way) would be to cut the car's existing harness coming from the front and to wire a trailer male and female connector back to back. Then the existing cars harness can be unplugged and the towing cars lead be plugged in when needed. The down side of doing that is that you have an extra point of failure on your rear tails that can cause you problems if the connectors become submerged or full of mud, and you will have to crawl in under the vehicle every time to plug this in and out.

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/11/04 at 08:13 AM.

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/11/04 at 08:13 AM.

Andrew

I did a total re-wire on my series LR. I was also having all sort of interesting trouble with the earth connection.

To make long story short the head lights were connected incorrectly. The headlight has 3 pins - 1 is a earth, the other two are a high and low beam. IF you connect the earth wire to the the high/low beam live you will find that everything works BUT you now have a earth mess up (I am not electrically minded...) There is a now a feedback to earth via a live or something like that...
    What happens is that different things come one when they shouldnt. I eventually saw the problem when I put my indicators on and the brights indicator flashed. Spoke to the auto electrician and he explained the head light connection. Not sure if that is your problem but worth a check - disconnect the headlight plugs and check the system again.

(By the way - i ran an earth wire to every single light and fitting - did not want any earth trouble and worked like a charm in the end!)

Rusty - 4x4 X-Track Racing monster
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
    CJ6 Stripped to pieces - to restore sometime
    Whether you belive you can do a thing or not, you are right
    Henry Ford