Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Prado 120

Don't touch the Grand Cherokee. My dad got one a year ago with 40 000km on the clock. He has spent R 60 000 on repairs so far. They are designed to fall appart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chris,

Thank you so much!

You answered pretty much all my questions.

Your point about the 4L petrol being just about run in at 200,000km is significant for me because of two reasons:
    - I listed the build quality as my only complaint with my current car. I am concerned also about the expenses i may incur closer to 200,000km with my diesel engine. Its on 160,000 now.
    - If i can be more lenient on the mileage, i may just be able to afford a recent spec 120. The prados price is a concern for me

The other thing i really like about your feedback is that you listed build quality as one of the prado's strong points - which is my car's biggest weakpoint.

Do you perhaps know where i can get more info on the prado's specifcation level (interior)? I cant find road tests or even second models in my area to go have a look at.

The 120 VX has a 5 speed auto box correct?

Thanks again

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Goodyear Wrangler ATSA Tyres
    Stofpad4x4 50mm Spacer Lift
    Stofpad4x4 Front Bashplate
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Llumar Smash & Grab Window Tint
    Dual Battery

That article about tyrone gilbert's prado says a lot!!

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pantoffel View Post
    Chris,

Thank you so much!

You answered pretty much all my questions.

Your point about the 4L petrol being just about run in at 200,000km is significant for me because of two reasons:
    - I listed the build quality as my only complaint with my current car. I am concerned also about the expenses i may incur closer to 200,000km with my diesel engine. Its on 160,000 now.
    - If i can be more lenient on the mileage, i may just be able to afford a recent spec 120. The prados price is a concern for me

The other thing i really like about your feedback is that you listed build quality as one of the prado's strong points - which is my car's biggest weakpoint.

Do you perhaps know where i can get more info on the prado's specifcation level (interior)? I cant find road tests or even second models in my area to go have a look at.

The 120 VX has a 5 speed auto box correct?

Thanks again
    My view is that the market prices are very effective. With this I mean that the rate at which a vehicle depreciates relates to the residual use left in it as perceived by the buyer market. That is why the Prado seems expensive, because you are looking at the miles covered, where you should be looking at the miles you will still cover with it problem free. I believe that a brand new Jeep Cherokee is worth less than a Prado with 200000km on the clock, because once the Jeep has 100000 km on, you will start having trouble, whereas the Prado will keep going for at least another 200000 km without problems.

Here is a link to a brochure for the 120. It is the Australia spec, but ours is similar. The older models had 4speed Auto boxes. I'm not sure when they started coming out with the 5 speed. Both are good auto boxes.

http://www.toyota120.com/GenDocs/2005AusPradoBro.pdf

This site also have more info. I'm also a member of the Australian Prado forum, Pradopoint. Bunch of crazy guys. They breathe Prado.

At some point they did a face lift. There was very little on the outside that changed, but on the inside they added a fridge in the armrest and a good quality GPS/Radio.

Look on www.autotrader.co.za. There Inspectacar in Wonderboom has many listed. Some look like good buys.

Thanks again Chris - very useful information!

Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=123717

Look here for just an idea of a standard Prado 120 on a trail.
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way!

Hi Hansie,

My experience is similar. Did three days driving down the Ugab river. Bumped the bottom a few times. This why I raised it and fitted the bash plate.

The best place to convince yourself of any 4x4's abilities is on youtube.

You speak of a "good suspension lift" what would be your recommendations here? I would like to do an air suspension, what do you think and which one?
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way!

Eish. Ek moet bieg. Ek weet niks van Air Suspension nie. Ek het self OME op en sal dit nie weer kies as ek kan oor kies nie. Ek sal eerder EFS oorweeg of by Mikem Suspension vir my Bilsteins of Koni's laat opsit.

the 120 is such a good product, can't go wrong!
    2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT DC 4x4 A/T

Good day folks

I've been reading this thread with some interest as I am busy trading my slow slow KZTE for a V6 beast. I've been searching for while now and I can get a pretty decent one for what my budget allows. It's a 2005 - 5 speed auto - 150k km - stock standard - R225 000. Its a bargain, now dealer involved!

My question is - about this 4l V6 beast - does this engine need a timing belt replacement at 200 000km 's? Does it even have a timing belt?

Are there any other "major" obstacle/replacement/expensive services down the line with this V6?

Congrats to all those lucky boykies that already bought their V6's - I'll join your club soon!

Just dropped off my Fortuner at Mcarthy Toyota Durban North for 70000km service(and diesel filter!!) and saw a very nice 120 V6 - 2009, 93kkms new tyres for R370k IMO its quite expensive but still a good buy considering what a DC/Fortuner costs these days, at that mileage that motor must be at its sweet spot!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by ToyBoata View Post
    Good day folks

I've been reading this thread with some interest as I am busy trading my slow slow KZTE for a V6 beast. I've been searching for while now and I can get a pretty decent one for what my budget allows. It's a 2005 - 5 speed auto - 150k km - stock standard - R225 000. Its a bargain, now dealer involved!

My question is - about this 4l V6 beast - does this engine need a timing belt replacement at 200 000km 's? Does it even have a timing belt?

Are there any other "major" obstacle/replacement/expensive services down the line with this V6?

Congrats to all those lucky boykies that already bought their V6's - I'll join your club soon!
    Nothing that I am aware of. All those I spoke with (about 6 guys) that has passed the 200 000km mark did nothing except the standard maintenance. It might be a good idea to speak with a stealer just to confirm.

AFAIK, the 4.0 V6 has a timing chain. Have a look at www.pradopoint.com, where common problems are listed.

Mine's now on 195 000 km, no problems experienced, only issue I have at the moment is a rattle in the front passenger door.
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

The timing chain is one of the items I mentioned at my last service at the stealers (wanted to do a big service including everything I could think of) at 170k. Usually at indy or just do the oil & filters etc myself. Stealer said no, not necessary for most things on my list so ended up with oil, filters, spark plugs and brake pads.... Other guys are always fixing broken 4x4's. This Prado might just just give you an inferiority complex 'cause you never get to fix broken stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by waldo_g View Post
    The timing chain is one of the items I mentioned at my last service at the stealers (wanted to do a big service including everything I could think of) at 170k. Usually at indy or just do the oil & filters etc myself. Stealer said no, not necessary for most things on my list so ended up with oil, filters, spark plugs and brake pads.... Other guys are always fixing broken 4x4's. This Prado might just just give you an inferiority complex 'cause you never get to fix broken stuff!
    Yes. That is definitely a big problem of the Prado.

Thanks for the advise - seems to me this prado is too good to be true - maybe the only exception to the norm =)

97c/litre increase....Eina!!!

Quote Originally Posted by krouxsa View Post
    97c/litre increase....Eina!!!
    The dudes calculating the fuel price needs to attend a course on how to operate a calculator. Eish!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast