Forum trip, October 2012 - Page 10

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pretdave View Post
    It seems like I am the only person considering using a 27/29 MHz radio ?
    If this is the case then I am going to feel somewhat lonely in ether space - and I should then not take it and save the bother of licensing hassles ?

Dave
    Dave, it looks like no ones interested in radios. As its nice to have comms occasionally .
    I am sure, and stand to be corrected, but most will have at least 29MHZ., but wont talk about it.
    If i were you get the license anyway, cant be that much....
    Hope you try out Mikes magic cream, we might not recognize you on your return.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Toni, did you book 1Time for the flight to Zambia??
    I see they are in trouble, their corporate colours being the same as the Lions franchise, so they might also be grounded and not allowed to play the airline game.
    No, I'm booked SAA/SA Airlink.

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    Dave, it looks like no ones interested in radios. As its nice to have comms occasionally .
    I am sure, and stand to be corrected, but most will have at least 29MHZ., but wont talk about it.
    If i were you get the license anyway, cant be that much....
    Hope you try out Mikes magic cream, we might not recognize you on your return.
    Hi Ian
    Yes , the cost of the licence is not a factor. The hassle factor of finding someone who will accept my money and send me a licence is , well , a hassle.
    I dont think anyone else has a 29 MHz- if they do please PM me...and confirm !
    Yes, the cream , will certainly help with mozzies . Maybe even restore some hair ? And give me a soft and radiant complexion. Heres hoping.

Dave

.............the cream , will certainly help with mozzies.........
    Nope it will not help against mozzies! Due to the scent it might just attract the mozzies, but obviously this statement is not based on any science or lab test.

I have just put some on my hands....it will keep your skin nice and soft with a fresh smell in the extreme hot Zambian early summer weather!
    By the way we have had more than 1 day on 32C which is quiet hot for August. Expect Sept/Oct to be very hot and brewing!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2012/08/23 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Nope it will not help against mozzies! Due to the scent it might just attract the mozzies, but obviuosly not based on any science or lab test.

I have just put some on my hands....it will keep your skin nice and soft with a fresh smell!
    I thought mozzie deterrence was the whole claim to fame ?

I thought mozzie deterrence was the whole claim to fame ?
    No No....Tsetse flies!

.......... The hassle factor of finding someone who will accept my money and send me a licence is.......
    I will find out from Deis Radio in Ndola, maybe I can get you the licence from here

Dave,

it has little or no effect against mozzies. But if you have faced tsetses all day without SSS, then you would positively welcome being attacked by mozzies.

On this subject, dark coloured clothes and movement attract tsetses like the plague.......so could you lot all wear blue or black please, and move around all the time? That'll be me standing quietly over there, stock-still in pale clothes.......and smelling of a ladies' skin care product.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

If the Tsetses see Dave, they will disappear fast :P
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    Dave,

it has little or no effect against mozzies. But if you have faced tsetses all day without SSS, then you would positively welcome being attacked by mozzies.
    On this subject, dark coloured clothes and movement attract tsetses like the plague.......so could you lot all wear blue or black please, and move around all the time? That'll be me standing quietly over there, stock-still in pale clothes.......and smelling of a ladies' skin care product.
    Mike
    For those who have never encountered tsetses before, there are, as Mike says above, two things to remember: dark colours and movement. So they follow anything that moves and they are attracted to dark colours, especially dark blue and black. When driving, they tend to cloud at the back of the vehicle, so there are two ways to zap them: the one is to attach a wire basket in which you burn dry elephant dung (plenty of that around) which repels them big time. The other is to zap them with Doom the minute you stop. I prefer the elephant dung option. But Mike and the SAS assure us that Skin So Soft works as a repellant and I am prepared to believe them. Just in case, I will bring my Dettol soap and Tabard, my fly swatter and my Doom... because tsetse bites are nasty.

Thanks Mike. Do you carry metal based warning triangles?
    Dave
    As Bertie and others point out, the Zambians are pretty relaxed on this - I use the fold up ones that slot into a plastic sleeve from Midas. Have never had an issue in Zim, Zambia and Mozambique. The reflective tape is available from Outdoor Warehouse and Midas. You don't need a police clearance certificate for Zambia, but you do for Zimbabwe. If you take one out, make sure you void it with your licencing authority on your return, otherwise they will deregister your vehicle and declare it exported.
    The key thing that everyone needs is proof of ownership of their vehicle, or a letter from your bank giving you permission to export it if it is financed. I would also advise everyone to get certified photocopies of you key documents - vehicle papers, passports, insurance docs etc. Your bank manager can do that or your local cop shop - I know it sounds like overkill, but if you lose your documents through theft or fire, having backup copies cuts through the red tape super fast.

My apologies for being a serial poster on this thread, but as a recent sign up on the trip, I'm playing catch up:
    Dave (Pretdave) has offered to transport a box of supplies for Mike and me up to Zambia, because we are both flying in and will have minimal shopping opportunities. Could I - and Mike has not been consulted on this and will probably be thoroughly p**sed off with me for requesting it - ask that all and sundry cater a couple of extra servings of dinner for Mike because I know that he is a Spartan caterer. I live on biltong and Provita and will bring plenty of that, but he is a delicate British flower and needs pampering. I think that the least he deserves, having put this whole trip together with no pecuniary gain to himself, is free meals throughout the trip!
    No argument from Mike allowed. I'll supply the whiskey and some of the biltong (and a healthy pack of tuna, smoked mackerel, smoked mussels and Provita).
    Is anyone bringing a guitar? If not, I'll pack a half size one. I do a mean Dylan.
    TW

Every time I go to Africa people here worry that I'll come back as skinny as a rake. Every time I come back fat......

Only pack a guitar if you can sing, and anyone who owns a ukelele, only pack that if you can swim

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

Every time I go to Africa people here worry that I'll come back as skinny as a rake. Every time I come back fat......
    Only pack a guitar if you can sing, and anyone who owns a ukelele, only pack that if you can swim
    Mike
    Sing? I'm the original fat lady.

Default Distances

I was asked earlier by email for approx. driving distances between camps. These are pretty reasonable estimates:

Sesheke to Kabula.............55km
    Kabula to Senanga ...........180km
    Senanga to Mukambi..........400km (all tar)
    Mukambi to Konkamoya......125km (spinal route)
    Konk to McBride's .............320km
    McB;s to Mukambi.............235km
    Mukambi to Kaingu.............40km (River Road)
    Kaingu to Nanzhila.............130km
    Nanz to Livingstone...........245km

To give you an idea of the possible speeds........Senanga to Mukambi, 400kms, will take maybe 4-1/2 to 5 hours with a fuel stop at Kaoma, plus any shopping/ banking time in Mongu.

Mukambi to Nanzhila (which we're doing in 2 parts), took me 9 hours last year, same time of year.

I can also tell you that Mukambi has had a mast erected nearby, and so there is cell phone coverage in the area. So that's the place to phone home from to tell your kids that you aren't ever coming home again.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeAG; 2012/08/24 at 12:17 AM.

Tony, can you bring a decent torch with you? Mine died on the last trip.

Thanks.

Mike

PS I don't drink whiskey..........yet!

Tony, can you bring a decent torch with you? Mine died on the last trip. Thanks. Mike

PS I don't drink whiskey..........yet!
    Will do, I think an Led Lenser P7 will do the trick. Whiskey is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Sing? I'm the original fat lady.
    If you aren't any good, send Zac up instead. At least I know he can sing........

If you aren't any good, send Zac up instead. At least I know he can sing........
    Sadly he is canoeing the Orange River, where he has been offered a job as a river guide (Zac is my son, for those who are bewildered by this exchange).

Tony, to beat the meat ban and the absence of decent lamb up north Anne is going to make quite a few precooked meals. Lamb knuckle stew, curry, Pork stir fry and the likes. It would be little trouble to increase the catering to 4 instead of 2 and a pleasure to invite the 2 of you for dinner. In any case we always over cater in true SA tradition.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast