FJ Cruiser Pic Thread / Upgrades / Mods - Page 132

Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 32 82 107 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132
Results 2,621 to 2,637 of 2637

Default Re: FJ Cruiser Pic Thread / Upgrades / Mods

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Ross, depends on weight of boat, Tyre pressures, sand condition and how to use your vehicles power and its ability plus yours. I launched my Gemini 5.5 with two 4 stroke 50's with my 300tdi 90 and sometimes struggled but always made it. Same with Disco's but I did get stuck even using the electronics correctly. The disco would allow too much wheel spin with the diesel especially. The V8 could power out most times depending on sand conditions. I used dsc off with rock crawl for slowest reaction on wheels.

LC 200 no issues. It pulls away easily and slowly.
    Thanks Bruce. Thought Iíd ask because years ago we struggled with a shorty Pajero v6 trying to pull a boat out, we just needed that extra metre for the front wheels to grab on harder compact sand. 18ft Skiboat with 2 x 90ís.
    Ross

Ordered my FJ today. Just need to know what you guys think about the standard Dunlop tyres for gravel roads, beach launching as main applications?

I am fitting a hidden winch and some spots as the only mods..
    Sounds like an awesome rig and I am sure you will enjoy it. I had a friend that was a senior engineer at Dunlop and he said that our demands are not the same as the euro types etc and one of the worst case scenarios for them was towing a heavy boat on a hot beach with soft tyres. There is almost nothing worse for tyres.

Obviously for the most part one goes onto the beach and off again and then pump your tyres up again, so this tends not to be a huge issue. He did however say that the Dunlop tyres that used to be fitted to the local prados were not fit for purpose for our conditions, and there were some of them rolled and suffering blowouts because of this. He mentioned bandages (?? Internal strengthing) that prevented a lot of these issues.

I am sure you would be fine but if you have any concerns then speak to someone that really knows the ins and outs of tyres and see if they are happy with the spec.

I think it would be more of an issue towing a caravan for 60km through the kalahari in low 2nd, that popping on and off the beach.

Hi Bruce. I have those tyres on my Fullback and have no hassles on the beach. Hit some powdery sand and bogged down to axles last Friday pulling the boat and just deflated a bit more and manged to get out and going again.

Ordered my FJ today. Just need to know what you guys think about the standard Dunlop tyres for gravel roads, beach launching as main applications?

I am fitting a hidden winch and some spots as the only mods.

Could only get white or sand beige so taking the white one.

Dealing with Toyota George, JP Sharp, is easily the most enthusiastic and best salesman I have ever come across.

I asked for delivery for 19 December but they won't allow me to take delivery and then reg in 2020. So will have to until 2 jan.
    Hi Bruce

Im considering fitting a winch as we are often on our own when overlanding and now with the Bush Lapa in tow it seems like a good thing to do. Also I can hang out hammock off it

However Iím not ready or keen to start fitting after market bumpers and bull bars - even though there are some that I like - with the weight they entail and the need to upgrade the suspension too. I have a 2015 FJ with extended fuel tank and I understand that the coils have been re- specced to handle the additional weight.

So to my question. What winch and how did you fit it? Will the standard suspension upfront handle the additional weight

Thamks
    Toyota FJ Cruiser - Getafix
    Bush Lapa - iKewer - Dogmatix

Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    Hi Bruce

Im considering fitting a winch as we are often on our own when overlanding and now with the Bush Lapa in tow it seems like a good thing to do. Also I can hang out hammock off it

However Iím not ready or keen to start fitting after market bumpers and bull bars - even though there are some that I like - with the weight they entail and the need to upgrade the suspension too. I have a 2015 FJ with extended fuel tank and I understand that the coils have been re- specced to handle the additional weight.

So to my question. What winch and how did you fit it? Will the standard suspension upfront handle the additional weight

Thamks
    LA Sport in George will be fitting a hidden winch for me, using a stofpad bracket and rhino 9500lb winch. Winch weighs 38kg so not more than 50kg's added to the front. No issue with standard suspension. I will post pics in about 14 days when this is complete. I am collecting the FJ on 19 Dec.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

How good or bad are the headlights especially for night driving?
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

A lot better than what I had on the Amarok before. They are actually very decent.
    Just make sure the level adjustment on the right of the steering column is set correctly. Usually it's out after coming back from the car wash.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I fit osram nightbreaker glopes but spots is nice to have for extra night vision

Quote Originally Posted by LesseW View Post
    I have an itch to sell my Prado and get a FJ again.... question to the people on this thread with children: do you manage well with only two doors and what about parking lots? Thanks
    Hi all, great information in this thread. Also thinking about a FJ in the future. Despite the door opening issue with kids, how is the space for passengers/kids in the back? is it sufficient and comfy (2 kiddos)?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jds View Post
    Hi all, great information in this thread. Also thinking about a FJ in the future. Despite the door opening issue with kids, how is the space for passengers/kids in the back? is it sufficient and comfy (2 kiddos)?

Thank you.
    Very comfortable.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Imo the driving lights are pretty good but the brights are crap especially when compared to more modern vehicles.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Imo the driving lights are pretty good but the brights are crap especially when compared to more modern vehicles.
    I fully agree, the brights are not the best, spotlights are definately needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Very comfortable.
    Thanks

I have purchased a thermometer/inclinometer cluster and need to fit it. Any advice on wiring and template to cut the top of the dash is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexkioilos View Post
    I have purchased a thermometer/inclinometer cluster and need to fit it. Any advice on wiring and template to cut the top of the dash is welcome.
    From where did you get it and price please

Hi Everyone..... considering an FJ but a bit concerned about consumption.... what can I expect in the real world?

Quote Originally Posted by Markus and Zelda View Post
    Hi Everyone..... considering an FJ but a bit concerned about consumption.... what can I expect in the real world?
    Anywhere from 5 to 8 km/litre
    Ross