Cape to Cairo trip advise

Default Cape to Cairo trip advise

Hi all. Does anybody know of anyone that has done an overland trip from Cape Town to Cairo in a 1996 Mitsubishi colt Rodeo DC V6 3 Litre. I have one in mint condition and thinking about doing the trip next year January 2013. If anyone has good advise and tips I would really appriciate it. Or some good websites to go to aswell. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty View Post
    Hi all. Does anybody know of anyone that has done an overland trip from Cape Town to Cairo in a 1996 Mitsubishi colt Rodeo DC V6 3 Litre. I have one in mint condition and thinking about doing the trip next year January 2013. If anyone has good advise and tips I would really appriciate it. Or some good websites to go to aswell. Thanks
    Hi, some idea of our route would be helpful. You can drive Cape to Cairo on tar roads most of the way, except for short sections through Kenya, Sudan and Egypt, so the Colt is fine. But if you're looking at taking the longer, more adventurous routes, then you'll need to start thinking about spares etc, and what other vehicles there are out there that can be cannibalised. I'm not familiar with the Colt, but a 1996 should be almost fully mechanical, which is an excellent start - you can almost always find a similar part that will do the trick.

Also have a look at some of my stickys above this post, and do a thorough trawl through the regional threads as well - there's some gold to be mined out there.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty View Post
    Hello,

A few tips:

- Have a look at www.africa-overland.net, you find on this site many many informations and links to personal websites of people who did it, who are doing it or who are going to do it. Simply fantastic.

- Invest in two books:

Africa Overland at www.bradtguides.com

Vehicle dependent expedition guide by Tom Sheppard (ex RAF) at:

www.desertwinds.co.uk

It was basically my intention to do the trip, however, as my friend still has to work, I have to split it: as of tomorrow Zam and Zim, will leave my rig in Lusaka, probably in October / November Malawi and Moz (or Tanzania), etc...

Maybe team up from Nairobi Northbound, according to situation, either Djibouti and container back home, or Egypt / Lybia / Tunisia (some travellers were already granted transit visas for Lybia this year) or Syria (www.toubab.ch did it without problems end of last year, met him last May at Nunda Lodge, Caprivi), or container Alexandria / Europe or even Egypt / Israel and Ferry Haifa to Turkey (met in Katima Germans who did it with two sets of passports).

Cheers.
    Last edited by eric60260; 2012/07/19 at 08:12 PM.