Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 ... LastLast

Default Metalian Mini trailer tips + modifications

Let's share all tips and modifications done to Metalian Mini trailers in a single thread for easy reference. Please share what you've done with pictures and as much as possible info.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Hi George,

I just ordered one which I will use for demonstrating some mobile surveillance equipment. I have ordered a few extras and mods for the trailer but haven't decided on all yet.

Once I get it I will fit it with a state of the art mobile power system (660Ah of batteries, 2kW inverter, etc.).

I will post pics when it is near completion.
    Todd
    2020 Ford Everest Limited bi-turbo

Good idea George.
    All I have done so far is add the roof carrier,must say it looks good on it.
    Busy speaking to hbannink who is an agent for Metalian to install some Electrics in it.This is what the trailer looks like with roofrack on.

Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Thought I'd share this unique idea from a Mini owner who asked for a wire basket up front. The nosecone is narrow as it still gets two jerry cans either side.

The tent on this unit is a full length unit from Bushwakka. I'm not sure how the bedroom and kitchen side works. Maybe the owner should open this up and do a show and tell .

The rear spare wheel was lowered to allow the tent to extend over the spare wheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	054.jpg 
Views:	1978 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	159036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	055.jpg 
Views:	2025 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	159037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	056.jpg 
Views:	1728 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	159038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	057.jpg 
Views:	3104 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	159039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	058.jpg 
Views:	1800 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	159040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	059.jpg 
Views:	1694 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	159041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060.jpg 
Views:	1658 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	159042  

Default Mini Metalian mods

This is the story that goes with the pictures that Heinz has posted in the above entry.
    We have been using a RTT for the last 10 years and eventually got tired of having to fold up tent to go on a game drive so started looking around for a small trailer. We enjoyed the skirt that hangs down under our RTT and found it most useful so was never really looking at Mike’s tent or using our RTT. (Not completely over the RTT as we are going to CKGR end of Jan next year and just think we will be safer without a trailer if there is a lot of rain).
    I decided to go the expensive route and had a standard Bushwakka tent fitted, flush on the top of the trailer, they said they would be able to adapt their tent to the low trailer height and have the “L” awning with 1 side closure. (We have not actually camped with the trailer yet but are very impressed with the looks of the tent) We had very good service from Bushwakka.The “junior” Tentco seems to be about the only standard tent to fit a 1.4m trailer but does not have much in the way of awnings.
    My trailer has the fridge slide in front, with National Luna Twin fridge, and a drawer and slide in the rear compartment.
    A table made by Metalian fits in the top of the rear compartment.
    I am using 235x85x16 BFG A/T tires with 6 stud hubs so if necessary can use the spare on my Pajero as well. (Picture only show the BFG on the spare wheel carrier)
    I have a small nose cone and open wire box for wood on the front, with space for 2 jerrycans as well.
    The spare wheel and gas bottle are mounted on a lower than standard rear swivel arm to accommodate the flush mounted tent and large spare wheel. The rear swivel arm was chosen to get more weight to the back of the trailer to balance the weight of the fridge and batteries in the front.
    2 x 105 amp/hr batteries are under the fridge slide with a Ctek D250 charger keeping them going.
    Water tank and pump and there is a 2 burner stove in the drop down door.
    I am now busy making some plywood shelves & drawers for the kitchen and “clothes side” of the trailer.
    Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm

I am also in the process of kitting out the kitchen - if and when you have photo's please post. I'll do the same.

Ryan
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2012 Mini-Metalian Trailer

Thanks guys. Funny enough just as I asked Malcolm for pics of his tent, Heinz posts the pics above .. telepathy This thread is all about sharing the info and pics on mods done so please share everything you've done to yours.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

@mcowell just a question about the bushwakka tent, if you say L shape does that mean you have the room on the clothing side of the trailer and the awning at the back? Is the kitchen side also under a awning?

Would like to see some pics about the shelves etc. Received my metalian about 2 weeks ago, still deciding on the tent though
    Jaco
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Default Bushwakka tent

Hi Jaco,
    I am only going to get my trailer next week, it is one of the original batch but there are a lot of extras and we were away for 8 weeks. If you look on the Bushwakka website at the Medium family tent,it is an additional detachable awning where it says "MEDIUM FAMILY TENT" at the bottom of the page, over the kitchen area.

If this is not clear please let me know.

Malcolm

A Mini Metalian dolled up in matching metallic silver and black anodised aluminium trimmings for a Jeep client. Complete with water on tap, stove, slides, Jeep rims, etc... This client has also requested that I move the nose forward in order to allow two jerry cans to fit between the body and the nose cone. Will post pics when this is done. Should be a nice variation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	1805 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	159713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	1826 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	159714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	2014 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	159715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	2343 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	159716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	1674 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	159717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	1559 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	159718  

Wow, it looks great!

Malcolm, I'm very interested to see pics of your tent once it's up. Now there is a good reason for you to take her out camping.

It's a challenge finding the perfect Mini tent and she deserves that perfect tent. I'm toying with this idea (strange things your mind comes up with at 2am ) to sit down and design the perfect Mini tent. I'll appreciate it if you guys can direct my train of thoughts to what you think such a tent should have or do?
    I'm thinking that the folded tent should fit the dimensions of the trailer top and that it should have enough headroom to allow for proper awnings and side walls.
    Maybe, just maybe sometime in the future I might buy a roll of canvas and see how far I get.

I'm also now in the process of making patterns for storage covers, for both the mini and the maxi. The reason is mainly for our demo models which have to brace the elements because we just don't have enough permanent under roof storage for both.
    The mini is first, she's here, still waiting for the maxi to arrive.
    Last edited by JennyB; 2012/08/12 at 07:13 AM.

Customization and custom canvas work for any trailer, no matter the model or make.

Catch us on FaceBook!

Ultimate Overland - 4x4 Trailer Sales, Rental and Customization

Jenny I like your idea about the perfect tent for the mini!

Yes, the folded tent should fit the dimensions of the trailer top and it should have enough headroom to allow for proper awnings and side walls, especially for the kitchen side as well.

I cannot comment more about the tent as I don't have any more experience in TTT's, hope to improve on it as soon as my tent is fitted to my mini...

Maybe you can try the patterns out for the storage cover on my mini while it is there for the tent fitment
    Jaco
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride.

Hello All,

Just put in order for a Metalian Mini. Went to see it at Henk's place, great trailer.

Would like some views on the Gas stove, it takes up almost the whole kitchen work area. Are there any other options? Also where would be the best location for the gas canister (Serving the gas stove).

Cheers,

Oh and another thing. I want to take a few bikes into the bush any ideas for a bike carrier for the mini metalian trailer?

I have been dealing with many suppliers of goods and services in my 52 years on this little planet of ours, but I can honestly say that I have never encountered anything remotely close to my experience with Heinz and his team. Thank you guys, you make me proud to say I am a Metalian owner!!!!!!!!!!
    Full report back with photos will follow very shortly!!
    Claim the joy in life!

AB, Thank you for the heads up.

There is a rear tow bar available which takes the rear spare wheel swing arm bracket on the driver's side and a gas bottle holder on the left as fitted to the metallic silver "jeep" trailer earlier in this thread (just check the pics more closely).

We fit a tow ball onto this bracket that takes standard bicycle racks that mount on to tow balls. If this is for a three or four bike rack it is advisable to strap the bikes back to a swivel bracket mounted on top of the trailer (because the rack will require an extension to clear the wheel, the leverage and weight becomes excessive for the ball on it's own.)

Bottom line - can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigsum View Post
    Hello All,

Just put in order for a Metalian Mini. Went to see it at Henk's place, great trailer.

Would like some views on the Gas stove, it takes up almost the whole kitchen work area. Are there any other options? Also where would be the best location for the gas canister (Serving the gas stove).

Cheers,
    Hi Craig,

I think the only other option would be to have a freestanding stove which you can use on a table.

I personally find the one Heinz supplies with the Metalian to be convenient in the sense that it stays connected to the gas pipe and it's just a matter of closing the kitchen door and shutting off the gas bottle and you are ready to go.

As you rightfully said, it takes up a fair amount of space on the work area, more so in the Mini but I prefer to rather make use of a freestanding table for prepping opposed to a freestanding stove.

Customization and custom canvas work for any trailer, no matter the model or make.

Catch us on FaceBook!

Ultimate Overland - 4x4 Trailer Sales, Rental and Customization

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    AB, Thank you for the heads up.

There is a rear tow bar available which takes the rear spare wheel swing arm bracket on the driver's side and a gas bottle holder on the left as fitted to the metallic silver "jeep" trailer earlier in this thread (just check the pics more closely).

We fit a tow ball onto this bracket that takes standard bicycle racks that mount on to tow balls. If this is for a three or four bike rack it is advisable to strap the bikes back to a swivel bracket mounted on top of the trailer (because the rack will require an extension to clear the wheel, the leverage and weight becomes excessive for the ball on it's own.)

Bottom line - can do.
    Thanks Heinz, Regarding the bike rack. If I don't get a nose cone, I could possibly attach a Thule bike rack to the spare wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by JennyB View Post
    Hi Craig,

I think the only other option would be to have a freestanding stove which you can use on a table.

I personally find the one Heinz supplies with the Metalian to be convenient in the sense that it stays connected to the gas pipe and it's just a matter of closing the kitchen door and shutting off the gas bottle and you are ready to go.

As you rightfully said, it takes up a fair amount of space on the work area, more so in the Mini but I prefer to rather make use of a freestanding table for prepping opposed to a freestanding stove.
    Thanks Jenny, I think you're right. I'm leaning towards installing the stove.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 ... LastLast