Companion - Tips, tricks and mods

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Companion - Tips, tricks and mods

We took possession of a 2010 Companion in mint condition on Thursday - not my first choice but that is what Swambo wanted. We pitched it yesterday to see how - and if - everything works. Having no manual for it, things went a bit slow but we managed to figure everything out - well - mostly everything!

For instance - there is a little spline driver that I have no idea what it could be for - and I also have no idea how the shower set-up works - but we're off to Conqureror this morning to go and find out. I also picked up some quality issues which I will address before our first camp.

In the mean time - any advice, pointers, warnings and suggestions on mods will be appreciated.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
    083 631 6995
    [email protected]
    www.kubu4x4.co.za
    Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
    Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Thanks Jannie, will do!

Baie geluk Vossie,en ek wens julle baie genotvolle jare van kamp toe met die nuwe baba.
    BlinkGat Products
    Manufacturing of Aluminium
    custom made Products
    Sarel 082 820 9413
    www.blinkgatproducts.com

Dankie Sarel - ons kan nie wag vir die eerste kamp nie!

Good luck with your Companion Vossie. Not sure what you meant by " not your first choice " , but apart from a few niggles : geyser pump, electrical side tripping, a couple of leaks ( we got ours new), we' ve had ours sorted by Conqueror Midrand, no hassles, and we've now enjoyed our Companion for a full year. You will find your Companion the object of a lot admiration almost wherever you travel. We've had to almost always accede to requests from curious fellow campers , to " kom kuier", and have a view of this small looking caravan which appears to be an inigma to most campers, so get used to that. We fitted the extra, quick sail for the kitchen, leeu sail to cover the open bits under and around, extra points for lights around the van, extra LEDs for the inside with a mirror, have 3 gas bottles, 2 battery's with charging system. The only thing I haven't as yet sorted, is the crap layout of the kitchen with our models and the kitchen sink. The lack of a proper mixer sucks, and then the storage in front of the stove impedes your proper use of the stove. Oh, and I've had my cadac replaced twice. Seems like third time lucky for me. All said, it is, and will remain a very enjoyable van.
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Overlander
    2014 Range Rover Evoque 2.2 D
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Santos View Post
    Good luck with your Companion Vossie. Not sure what you meant by " not your first choice " , ...........
    My heart was set on the Summit Everest but , as I mentioned, Yvonne wanted a "caravan" . Bed sizes made Conqueror the first (read only) choice in the "lightweight" class. We will definately look at the "leeuseil" and the other options. I need to figure out the shower first!

Vossie, congratulations on your van, enjoy.

The main problem I found was with the water tanks, the piping from the rear tank is higher than the outlet and you can't get all the water out (also posed some filling challenges).

Modified mine to have the rear tank pipe running directly to the front (someone else posted a similar idea).

The back:

And the front:

I also made a mod on the breathers, will post later.

Other mods were :
    Installing National Luna fuses on all positive cables from both batteries (at the battery terminals), there were none.
    Solar system with a CTEK D250S Dual to also charge from the vehicle.
    In addition to the Leeuseil also bought a quick awning from Midrand (they need to make a mod on the van), assume you can still get them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030455B.jpg 
Views:	7249 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	154119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030457B.JPG 
Views:	8188 
Size:	327.4 KB 
ID:	154120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030460B.jpg 
Views:	7262 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	154121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030461B.jpg 
Views:	7277 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	154122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030464B.JPG 
Views:	7625 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	154123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030463B.jpg 
Views:	7268 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	154124  
    Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)
    Jeep Cherokee CRD (swambo)

Here is the breather mod, don't know if it is really necessary but I installed taps on them to give me control of overflowing. I fill nose down from the front tap until the front breather overflows and then shut it off and fill until rear overflows out of the filler. Travel with taps closed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030468B.jpg 
Views:	7217 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	154126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030471B.jpg 
Views:	7226 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	154127  
    Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)

Thanks, Bryan. I noticed that filling it completely is a bit of an issue. Seems to work better if one drops the nose down quite a bit. Thanks also for the pics. Now I don't have to go figure it out myself! LOL

Brian excellent tip re the breathers. I had to figure that one out for myself. I don't have the valves fitted, but lift the breathers, drop the nose and fill in from the back until water comes out the tank filler at the rear. Also had an idea that might work, but haven't actioned it yet. You could get a fitting to attach your hose to the front red tap, ahead of the nose cone then drop the nose, lift the breathers and open the rear tank and open the red tap and fill that way. This would be sure to force out any airlocks, but I haven't tried this yet.

Sorry for the hijack Vossie, but Brian , is those Luna fuses on the battery positives entirely necessary ? Shouldnt the trip switches on the DB serve the same purpose ?
    Last edited by Papa Santos; 2012/07/10 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Papa Santos, if you get a fault in the cabling between the batteries and the DB or between the batteries themselves you could have a big problem. Much safer with fuses and I won't be without them.

On the breathers, that is the way I fill, from the front tap (with a garden hose clip on fitting) but when the front tank is full the front tank breather overflows, so then I shut it off.

Real problem on mine was the piping between the two tanks, it ran in the chassis just in front of the rear tank and was higher than the tanks, so if the siphon between the two tanks is broken (by air) the rear tank will not empty. I now get +140L out of the tanks.
    Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)

Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)

Difficult to reconcile that you guys are happy to spend over 200 thousand bucks on a trailer and then happy to mod things that should of been done in the factory. With that kind of cash I do not expect any "niggles".
    Jeep, there is only one.

Quote Originally Posted by kevjones View Post
    Difficult to reconcile that you guys are happy to spend over 200 thousand bucks on a trailer and then happy to mod things that should of been done in the factory. With that kind of cash I do not expect any "niggles".
    Hi kevjones
    I'm a Companion owner as well and loves it to bits. Bought it from Conqueror West rand (fantastic service). They made some modification for me as well. I think the that it's a boy thing. People buy R600 000 cars and spends another R100 000 on it on mods. But then also think about it like this, how do you manufacturer a trailer and keep a 1000+ people happy. I think the Conqueror boys are doing a great job.

More important, when a thread is positive or constructive, please keep it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    We took possession of a 2010 Companion in mint condition on Thursday - not my first choice but that is what Swambo wanted. We pitched it yesterday to see how - and if - everything works. Having no manual for it, things went a bit slow but we managed to figure everything out - well - mostly everything!

For instance - there is a little spline driver that I have no idea what it could be for - and I also have no idea how the shower set-up works - but we're off to Conqureror this morning to go and find out. I also picked up some quality issues which I will address before our first camp.

In the mean time - any advice, pointers, warnings and suggestions on mods will be appreciated.
    Hi Vossie
    Give Viv from Conqueror West rand and Midrand a call: 0832294276 and I know he would be happy to help you with anything you need to know.

Just rented the Comfort from Mega Heidelberg and although I would make a couple of design changes (it's a girl thing) we had 2 great weeks camping in Hwange and Caprivi. Everything has a place and everything in it's place! We didn't use the shower although our friends used theirs and said it was awesome! The videos on youtube are very informative. Found the l-shape awning was enough although we put the biggie up as well during the trip. An old caravan tip that my hubby remembered was to take two blocks of wood to put under the legs when setting up. Oh yes - take a level to ensure you set up correctly!

hi - what is leeuseil? We have also got a brand new companion. also trying to figure everything out.

You can see the Leeuseil below, it runs around in an L to the back and ties in to the No. 4 awning side. I can guarantee it works, we have not had a single lion under the Companion.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast