Companion - Tips, tricks and mods - Page 21

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Default Re: Companion - Tips, tricks and mods

Good Evening all,

Just wondering if the best way to keep the batteries on the Companion is by plugging the caravan in and switching the charger on so that it charges through the panel. I have been using a trickle charger plugged into the multiplug that feeds through the cigarette lighter. In this setup, I switch the built in charger off. Which of these 2 methods is preferable?

Kind regards
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 *** 2015 Conqueror Companion
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I retrofitted a BX-2 charger to my Companion when the original charger packed up.

When not in use, I just left the Companion hooked up to mains, and the BX-2 kept the batteries conditioned, and everything shipshape.

P
    Prado 4.0L VX
    BMW R1200 GSA

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I.....I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference."
    -Robert Frost-

Quote Originally Posted by FatHuey View Post
    Good Evening all,

Just wondering if the best way to keep the batteries on the Companion is by plugging the caravan in and switching the charger on so that it charges through the panel. I have been using a trickle charger plugged into the multiplug that feeds through the cigarette lighter. In this setup, I switch the built in charger off. Which of these 2 methods is preferable?

Kind regards

the factory charger (at least on mine, 2012) is not a smart charger - I’d think it would be very bad for batteries long term. Don’t know what yours has in it? Trickle charger should be great, provided it keeps up with the load (eg, do you leave anything on, like the fridge...)

Have you fitted front corner steadies to a companion? Which ones, and how did you fit them? Were they worth it?

The jockey wheel usually slips, so I have been using a single axle stand under the A-frame, but it isn't great for levelling and takes storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by pieter_fourie View Post
    looks like the middle of the bed but runs in the seam and drips down the side. I will take some pictures
    With enough time and enough water pooling around (ie: is the water able to pool on the fly sheet?) canvas will eventually leak. I stopped using the side metal rods and put guy ropes on the sides of the front bed fly sheet and made sure every time that fly sheet was nice and ‘taught’ and never had an issue again.

Quote Originally Posted by KKampa View Post
    Have you fitted front corner steadies to a companion? Which ones, and how did you fit them? Were they worth it?

The jockey wheel usually slips, so I have been using a single axle stand under the A-frame, but it isn't great for levelling and takes storage space.
    Mine has the Alko lifting legs, works like a dream

Last edited by Wave; Today at 10:58 AM.
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Those Alko supports works perfectly and are fairly easy to install. Not only do they prevent damage if the jockey slips, but also add to the stability of the caravan. +R1200 for two directly at Alko.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Also have the Alko steadies... they are brilliant.

One thing though... rather mount them with the handles to the side, and not the front of the caravan... the handles don't like stones.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Thanks. looks to be a good addition. How did you fit them? In one of the photos it looks like you may have to fabricate a mounting bracket?

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21