Companion - Tips, tricks and mods - Page 19

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Default Re: Companion - Tips, tricks and mods

Quote Originally Posted by Herman_db View Post
    You need to remove the cover plate and route the 12 volt cable through the back of the fridge. The 12v socket has a little plastic pin you remove in order to take it out of it's holder and it will stay on the inside...
    Just another reason why I love this forum...

Officially joined this group this week...now to read through the entire thread and to decide where to start...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190818_102346198_HDR.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	538211
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 *** 2015 Conqueror Companion
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FatHuey For This Useful Post:

Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by FatHuey View Post
    Officially joined this group this week...now to read through the entire thread and to decide where to start...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190818_102346198_HDR.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	538211

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    My mods to Companion (2012):
    Next:

1. Separate the two water tanks, and re-do the nest of hoses run haphazardly thru the nose cone. Should go from +/- 100 l before the pump sputters to +/- 140l.

2. Install 3,000 watt sine-wave inverter with a transfer switch in line to the power strip in the pantry to run icemaker.

3. Add additional 220v power point near distribution panel

4. Have sheets made that zip over beds to ease bed making process.

5. Make mount for spare shocks - the U-channel under the van seems like a perfect place. Will fabricate a couple of bolts to go thru either end of the shock, with some washers, to hold it there.

6. Air Con. I have a portable ac, 7,000 btu, which blows cold air out the front, and has an exhaust hose meant to direct the hot air out of the room. I fabricated a mount that connects the exhaust hose to the cold air output, thereby making it a duct. I can then place the AC unit outside the van, under the side fold out bed. The hot air blows out the back of the AC unit, and I can place the duct hose thru the ammo box door into the inside. But I'm toying with having the duct plug into the right side tent pole tube. I always get the poles out of the left side. My theory is that if I made this seal tight (would be easy), I could cut a duct into the pole tube on the middle inside of the van. The cold air blows into the pole tube, and is forced out into the inside thru that duct. In this way, I would not have any "openings" for bugs, etc..., by running the duct thru an opening. The issue I see is that the thermostat on the AC unit is outside, so it would not know the inside temp - but the insulation is so poor, I don't think that would matter... Not sure yet.
    One thing I would have seriously considered if I was in your shoes was the upgrade from the old transformer charger to a more modern charger. That system is not only noisy, it takes up lots of space for other gadgets and definitely not as efficient or as battery friendly as current chargers.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

Quote Originally Posted by FatHuey View Post
    Welcome, and I am sure if you can't find it straight away help will be available. Enjoy!!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

Quote Originally Posted by Rooikop View Post
    One thing I would have seriously considered if I was in your shoes was the upgrade from the old transformer charger to a more modern charger. That system is not only noisy, it takes up lots of space for other gadgets and definitely not as efficient or as battery friendly as current chargers.

Indeed - itís not in use. Just out of the frame is a Ctek. I just have not bothered yanking the old one out because the things I fit there will fit in front of it. But thanks for the (excellent!) suggestion :-)

Good evening. Apologies if this question was already answered in this thread.

Which is the best way to level a Companion on uneven terrain? Must i place my Spirit level on the A Frame or on the floor of the caravan to get the most accurate result? If on the floor, which i think might be the best place, where exactly on the floor? In line with the axel?

Reason for my question is because if i place the spirit level on the floor it might show that the caravan is 100% level but when i do the same excercise on the A frame, without moving the caravan an inch i might get a completely different reading!! Any pointers or tips is much appreciated as this is making me confusicus!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post

Which is the best way to level a Companion on uneven terrain? Must i place my Spirit level on the A Frame or on the floor of the caravan to get the most accurate result? If on the floor, which i think might be the best place, where exactly on the floor? In line with the axel?

Reason for my question is because if i place the spirit level on the floor it might show that the caravan is 100% level but when i do the same excercise on the A frame, without moving the caravan an inch i might get a completely different reading!! Any pointers or tips is much appreciated as this is making me confusicus!!!
    I permanently mounted leveling bubbles to the frame near the coupler.

Do you have the front stabilizers/legs? That makes it easier. I also pull out the fridge before leveling

I've got one of those "bubble" levels... that lives in the grocery cupboard...
    When levelling, I just pop it on the front locker... easy to see, and seems to level everything up nicely.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Thank you for the advice gents. Appreciate.

Built this mini-panel, to include:

Voltage monitor with a DPDT switch. The DPDT switch reverses the leads across the shunt, so it measures energy in or energy out depending on the switch position.

Load transfer switch - this was wired in between the AC main breaker and the breaker for the multiplug, plus this added plug point on the new panel. So breakers up, feeds AC power from "shore" to the plug point in the pic and the multiplug in the kitchen. Switch down, and the inverter powers the plug point and multiplug.

Inverter remote - powers on a 3000 watt sinewave inverter, which I mounted on the underside of the right side bed, so it is over the battery compartment area
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Hi All

My Companion needs a full service and some minor maintenance work (awing zip repair, pipe leak etc.)

Where can I take it to ? Do I take it to Pretoria, Midrand or Nortgate branch ? Any feedback on recent service experience will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance .

Pieter
    Toyota Hilux & Conqueror Companion

Maybe I missed it😜

Is this the best way to get more out of the gas stove?

What other options/alternatives have you used?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28AE3F07-208E-4A00-B8A3-8B03755AECAF.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	542183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4E44FEA8-6CF3-4D8B-AD65-FE46FB0108D9.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	542184  
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

I have 26 pieces of iso board to give away to any Conqueror Companion owner in or around Cape Town. Perfect to insulate the roof of your Companion for heat and condensation. Expect a 5 degree difference inside your caravan when fitted. Took me less than 10 mins to fit 36 panels. Collect in Tygerfalls on Saturday. First come first served. Please PM me if you interested. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190926_133519.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	542223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190926_133713.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	542226

I have 26 pieces of iso board to give away to any Conqueror Companion owner in or around Cape Town. Perfect to insulate the roof of your Companion for heat and condensation. Expect a 5 degree difference inside your caravan when fitted. Took me less than 10 mins to fit 36 panels. Collect in Tygerfalls on Saturday. First come first served. Please PM me if you interested. Click image for larger version. 

This auction is now closed.

Hi guys. I have suddenly been forced to consider changing from my Comfort to the Companion.
    Looking at the Bush Lapa next door to us at Satara, I quite like the pop up for air so that my wife can have her afternoon sleep.
    Has the Companion got that feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Slabeye View Post
    Hi guys. I have suddenly been forced to consider changing from my Comfort to the Companion.
    Looking at the Bush Lapa next door to us at Satara, I quite like the pop up for air so that my wife can have her afternoon sleep.
    Has the Companion got that feature?
    The brand new ones do (unless I'm wrong)
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

@BobMabena is correct.

Acydebyte on this forum has the new model with the pop up roof. Very very nice indeed. I saw it.

Hi, I am very interested in how you did this modification. Could you please share some details.

Thanks

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast