Companion - Tips, tricks and mods - Page 17

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Default Re: Companion - Tips, tricks and mods

Had a BunduTec BunduAwn fitted today... Cannot wait to going camping next weekend and try it out...

I did notice that the brackets have changed from the others I've seen, they do look solid though.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    Had a BunduTec BunduAwn fitted today... Cannot wait to going camping next weekend and try it out...

I did notice that the brackets have changed from the others I've seen, they do look solid though.
    Looks fantastic, like the fact that they have been mounted a tad lower. And believe me if I say, you will never be sorry about this addition.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    I saw earlier on some really nice pics of laminate flooring installed in a companion. I have some leftover material from an office re-model - commercial grade vinyl "faux" wood - which I was thinking of putting in there. In looking at the steel floor, I see all the rivets there... and was wondering about if I was asking for trouble by covering them up. The floor is meant to be bonded down with floor tile adhesive - which of course is a mess to get up, if you have to take them out. I was thinking I might, instead, use sikaflex at the outer edges of the vinyl floor tile pieces.

Anyway - have any owners had problems which required drilling out or replacing rivets there?

I installed the exact same flooring to our Companion some 5 years ago. First laid a underfloor, same they use for wood laminate flooring, that spongy type of material, and then just laid the vinyl on top of that to take care of the rivets, and after the job was done just a bead of clear silicone around the edges. As mentioned, over 5 years ago and still looks great today. And then just some advice on the actual laying of the panels, I laid mine so that I only had to cut on the short ends, i.e. from side to side, and I started in the front so that the final cut piece was right at the back (fridge end).

There are some photo's of the floor that I had done somewhere in this tread.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rooikop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rooikop View Post
    Looks fantastic, like the fact that they have been mounted a tad lower. And believe me if I say, you will never be sorry about this addition.
    I've been wanting to fit one since I saw yours... but SWAMBO wasn't convinced...
    Needless to say, as soon as permission was given, the order was placed.

Only thing I'm not happy about is the lack of sealing on the bracket mounting... Will need to sort that out asap.
    2011 Conqueror Companion

QUOTE=BobMabena;4138669]Had a BunduTec BunduAwn fitted today... Cannot wait to going camping next weekend and try it out...

I did notice that the brackets have changed from the others I've seen, they do look solid though.[/QUOTE]

I attach photo's of my Companion's awning (supplied and fitted by Conqueror).

Please note that the mounting is full length using 5 bolts on top, flush along the top and side of the van with adhesive sealer all the way. There are also bolts inside the awning holder. The awning unit is tied back with threaded steel rods and turn buckles at the front and back to steady and strengthen the installation.

The only major issue I have is that the awning is heavy (I'm told 35kgs) and affected the centre of gravity and the level of the van (sagged to the kitchen side) that I corrected by replacing only that coil spring with a heavier duty one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	527691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1333.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	527692  

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    I attach photo's of my Companion's awning (supplied and fitted by Conqueror).

Please note that the mounting is full length using 5 bolts on top, flush along the top and side of the van with adhesive sealer all the way. There are also bolts inside the awning holder. The awning unit is tied back with threaded steel rods and turn buckles at the front and back to steady and strengthen the installation.

The only major issue I have is that the awning is heavy (I'm told 35kgs) and affected the centre of gravity and the level of the van (sagged to the kitchen side) that I corrected by replacing only that coil spring with a heavier duty one.
    Thanks TRON
    I've heard that too (the heavy bit)... but to be honest, I preferred the BunduAwn setup.

Taking what you've said into account, I'm camping this weekend, so I'll take a proper look at the mountings and see if there's a way of making it more secure. I had seen the turnbuckles and I think that's definitely an option.

Cheers
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Thinking of upgrading the standard white 16" rims on my companion to black off road rims/mags. Does anybody in or around Cape Town have a pair they would like to sell ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190614_085811.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	531478

Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post
    Thinking of upgrading the standard white 16" rims on my companion to black off road rims/mags. Does anybody in or around Cape Town have a pair they would like to sell ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190614_085811.jpg 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	531478
    What I did with mine, was to replace the hubs to match my vehicle rims, then instead of putting just any old rims and tyres on, I bought matching rims and tyres to those that I have on my vehicle - I now have dual redundancy and a whole lot more spare wheels for my vehicle should I ever need them out in the bush.

P
    Prado 4.0L VX
    BMW R1200 GSA

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I.....I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference."
    -Robert Frost-

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post
    Thinking of upgrading the standard white 16" rims on my companion to black off road rims/mags. Does anybody in or around Cape Town have a pair they would like to sell ?
    I just had the std white rims and center caps powder coated black. Easy and not too expensive.

Please excuse the dirt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Cool idea!!! Thanks Wave. I Might go this route as well. Can you kindly Pm me what you paid to have this done?

I'll reply on here, so others know too, I had to have the tyres stripped off of the rims (no charge as I promised to come back to the same tyre place to re-fit)
    Paid R395 + FAT per rim & center cap.
    I did the spare too, with hindsight it was a waste of money as the spare is covered by the braai grid
    Took about 3 or 4 days.
    Took the brand new looking rims to refit, new valves & balance tyres @ R100ea

Another option would be to phone a few tyre shops around you and ask them to quote on new black rims, I know you can buy lekker black rims from Burquip, not sure if there is a branch in CT, but it could work out cheaper depending on how much your local Powder Coating spot charges.
    Last edited by Wave; 2019/06/21 at 09:18 AM.
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Valuable info thank you Wave. Appreciate the feedback.

I am busy changing from a Commander to a Companion and busy with some planning

Can someone confirm for me the maximum clearance height of the gorcey cupboard bottom shelf as well as the depth of the shelf ?

Dont have the Companion yet so i cant measure it myself
    2017 Land Rover Discovery Si6 HSE
    2016 BMW i3 Rex (94ah)
    2019 Conqueror Companion

Facebook - @GoCampingRSA
    Instagram - @ilovecampingsa
    Member of Western Cape Off-road Camping Club

Quote Originally Posted by Acydebyte View Post

Can someone confirm for me the maximum clearance height of the gorcey cupboard bottom shelf as well as the depth of the shelf ?

I'll try to remember to measure when I get home, but for reference, we've got a 20l microwave sitting on the foam at the bottom, and it's got about 40mm clearance... depth is perfect.
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Thanks, i popped into Safari Centre in N1 City to check it out, trying to see if the new National Luna 12kg Ice Machine would fit into the bottom shelf, it does but the shelf touches the buttons on the machine when you close it, but it can be stored sideways
    2016 BMW i3 Rex (94ah)
    2019 Conqueror Companion

Facebook - @GoCampingRSA

Hope this helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190714_161637.jpg 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	533837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190714_161628.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	533838

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Roes For This Useful Post:

We've noticed now on a couple of Companions that, it seems like, the bush in the Tough dog suspension holding the shock in place, fails, leaving the trailer in quite a predicament. Anyone else experienced something similar that might know the cause of this?
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Roes View Post
    Hope this helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190714_161637.jpg 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	533837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190714_161628.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	533838
    Awesome Stuff, thanks so much
    2016 BMW i3 Rex (94ah)
    2019 Conqueror Companion

Facebook - @GoCampingRSA

Hi There

I would be interested to know why you are changing from the commander to the companion.I know you did a lot of mods on the commander and also liked the space with the children.

KR
    A

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    Thanks TRON
    I've heard that too (the heavy bit)... but to be honest, I preferred the BunduAwn setup.

Taking what you've said into account, I'm camping this weekend, so I'll take a proper look at the mountings and see if there's a way of making it more secure. I had seen the turnbuckles and I think that's definitely an option.

Cheers
    The awning looks good Bob.How did it hold up on the camp?

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast