Code EB License - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Code EB License

Quote Originally Posted by mariusrautenbach View Post
    I'm confused.. My car (not disco) has a tare weight of 1077kg and GVM of 1540kg.
    I am looking at a Jurgens XT75. Would I be able to tow one legally?

Ja I'm hearing the laughs "kyk pappa hy sleep 'n bos wa met sy platkar!!"
    You need to find you GCM, which is your gross combination mass, ie total maximum mass of your vehicle and trailer. And deduct you GVM which will give you your weight you can legally tow.

Also any trailer that has a GVM of more than 750kg needs overrun brakes. Also bear in mind according to South African law you may not tow a trailer exceeding your tow vehicle tare MASS even if your vehicle spec allows it without service brakes ( not overrun brakes).
    Remember your vehicles tare does not include, fuel, spare tyre and passengers. You also need to add the trailer towball induced weight to your car's load, so if your trailers towbar weight is 100kg, you need to add that to your car's load.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pedro; 2014/03/26 at 10:44 AM.
    Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
    Mods:
    ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen

I'm confused.. My car (not disco) has a tare weight of 1077kg and GVM of 1540kg.
    I am looking at a Jurgens XT75. Would I be able to tow one legally?

Ja I'm hearing the laughs "kyk pappa hy sleep 'n bos wa met sy platkar!!"
    first of all, to tow a trailer heavier than 750kg, you need an EB licence - not a B licence which is what many people that got their licence under the K53 have.

secondly - your vehicle needs to be rated for the trailer being towed.

what vehicle is it? some vehicles have zero tow rating.

The XT75 specs. tare mass: 420kg, GVM: 750kg.
    Car is a Fiesta 1.6i 2006 model.
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4wd Manual.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

The XT75 specs. tare mass: 420kg, GVM: 750kg.
    Car is a Fiesta 1.6i 2006 model.
    That is the trailer weight spec, what does the plate on the car say for the fiesta GCM, GVM, and Tare?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
    Mods:
    ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by deltazane View Post
    SWAMBO just told me she reckons her license is valid for towing trailers...she has a UK License. Anybody have any info on this? Its a code B, B1 (which has a picture of a truck next to it) and fkp?...
    What happens to tourists who want to rent a trailer? If their countries don't require special licenses then how does our law apply and in Swambos case she is a South African citizen who got her license abroad..
    As far as I know. If you are a SA citizen or have permanent residency, then you need to have a SA drivers license. Also you don't normally have to do the test over, but can get a SA license issued on application and showing proof of foreign licence.

I have just been researching transferring to an SA licence and I came across this thread.

Yes, you can transfer your foreign licence to an SA one, but only within the first year of getting you SA permanent residence status. I missed this and after nearly fifty years of drinking, all over the world, have had to do my learners and take a driving test. Needless to say I failed the first time!

Picked up my SA licence today. Yay!!! But no!!! I can't tow our trailer!! My licence is the standard Code B!!!!!! aaaaaagh!

So now I have to do my learners again, (just did it a month ago) and then do another test to get my EB licence. What a schlep.

Think I'll just do the HGV gets so I can drive anything and tow anything!!!

There is a article in this month's Weg Sleep on the new proposed legislation. One of the changes will be that any potential applicant for a drivers license would need to do a min of 60 hours practical with a driving school. These hours will have to be loged in a logbook before you can apply for the yard test.

The article is not clear if this will only apply to new application ( it refers only to B licenses) but also any change on the license code.

What is also interesting is that they are looking at allowing registrared driving schools to issue new licenses. Hectic
    If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. David Livingston

Hectic indeed!

How can the average person afford 60 hours in a driving school? It's an expensive enough process as it is.

Oh well, I had better do my next test before new legislation comes in and changes things again!

Crazy, a private pilots license is 40 hours.

Default Re: Code EB License

Has anyone done their EB licence in Durban?
    Can I take my own trailer? Or are there driving schools that provide one? Struggling to find anyone who actually knows the difference between a B and EB...

Default Re: Code EB License

I'm also strugggling to take the EB test in the Durban area. I have contacted several driving schools and, as you say, haven't a clue what the difference is!

in the end I started taking lessons to get my heavy goods vehicle licence!!! Loved driving those trucks but failed the first test by tolling backwards slightly!!! Unfortunately as R3000 a go (test and truck hire), I can't afford to retake the test.

I will do some asking around as I did hear about someone who recently did their EB test in the Durban area. I'll let you know if I get any info. Pls let me know if you find a place.

Cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4