Gwahumbe or lake eland

Default Gwahumbe or lake eland

Planning a weekend getaway, these are my 2 options , has anyone been to both these places.I have been to Gwahumbe once for a day visit but never to lake eland. any comments to help me make a decsion.

Hi Trev1136,

If you have not been to Lake Eland you are missing out big time. Going there very often. Lots of animals, roads to travel and some 4x4 areas only as well. There is a 4x4trail as well, not out of this world but very enjoyable. There is a cable slide covering a large part of the area, I believe there are in excess of twelve or fourteen stages and it takes approximately three hours to complete.

Well worth it. Go and enjoy.

Been to both. Can't compare the 2. Lake Eland is way better. You can camp down at the lake or stay in the chalets. Lots to see and do there and way bigger than Gwahumbe.
    JP

Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (KB6)

Hi Trev1136

I haven't been to Gwahumbe but have been to Lake Eland quite a few times. Really nice campsites at the bottom lake(gets cold in winter). No electricity but they have a generator that runs the lights and warm water provided by a donkey boiler. Theres a campsite at the top with electricity but we prefer the bottom. Nice game drive routes(no predators) and a few short 4x4 routes. In terms of activities theres fishing(bottom lake), mtb trails(good single track), swimming(bottom lake). Take a drive to the suspension bridge and as Wessels says maybe try out the zip slide.

Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Eland 4x4.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	153453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Eland mtb.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	153454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Eland bottom lake campsite.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	153455  

thanks for the replies guys, looks like it will be lake eland then. hope they still got place.

Going to lake eland this weekend(Ihope), the trials club is having their nationals there
    '79 Range Rover classic.

Now sadly sold.
    88" series 3"Littlemule"my first diesel.No more Landys, all sold

Hey guys,

I did Gwahumbe this weekend. What a great trip. The sani pass is really rough and my friends pajero bottomed out a couple of times, even though he has got OME suspension. There are not lots of animals but will definetely see them all. There are about 5 river crossings also and the accomodation looked really amazing and I am really interested in spending a weekend there.

Directions please to Lake Eland -- apart form doing the 4by stuff , can one fish there use a row boat / battery motor ??
    "They do come True"
    75 CJ5 350 Chev Motor 33's 4" lift.
    The op is nearly finished
    96 Disco 1 V8
    "I am UNASHAMEDLY ETHICAL!!"

www.lakeeland.co.za , http://lakeeland.co.za/direction.aspx

You can fish there. Mostly Tilapia and a few Bass. I'm sure you can use row boat in the bottom lake. It's best to use dynamite as the fish are few and far between.
    JP

Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (KB6)

Agreeing with JPD Lake Eland is great
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Original plan was day trip to Sani to show the kids the snow, but with all the troubles up there , we decided to give Gwahumbe a visit.

WOW, very nice. Our first time to visit & First time swambo (Michelle) has drive her car off road.

I though the route was quite challenging & we really enjoyed it. Spent around 2.5 hours driving & exploring and then had a few cold ones afterwards at the main resort.

They said that little Sani pass was out-of-bounds so we couldn't do that but all the other routes we drove. Some I though were quite challenging, but not real extreme. Swambo has driven sani a few times but she said this was quite challenging .

Things I really like was ,really friendly Staff, routes quite challenging, scenery very nice & only 60 minute from pinetown. Looking to plan a family picnic there soon. Maybe the wife's can take the kids fishing & for a game drive, while the men frequent the bar and health spa.

Pictures on the camera and swambo can't find download cable , so will upload proof later this week.

cheers

Devon
    "If at first you don't succeed, .... do what you wife told you in the first place "

Quote Originally Posted by devon View Post
    Original plan was day trip to Sani to show the kids the snow, but with all the troubles up there , we decided to give Gwahumbe a visit.

WOW, very nice. Our first time to visit & First time swambo (Michelle) has drive her car off road.

I though the route was quite challenging & we really enjoyed it. Spent around 2.5 hours driving & exploring and then had a few cold ones afterwards at the main resort.

They said that little Sani pass was out-of-bounds so we couldn't do that but all the other routes we drove. Some I though were quite challenging, but not real extreme. Swambo has driven sani a few times but she said this was quite challenging .

Things I really like was ,really friendly Staff, routes quite challenging, scenery very nice & only 60 minute from pinetown. Looking to plan a family picnic there soon. Maybe the wife's can take the kids fishing & for a game drive, while the men frequent the bar and health spa.

Pictures on the camera and swambo can't find download cable , so will upload proof later this week.

cheers

Devon
    Devon glad to here swambo took the Hilux and had some fun think after what u and the boys told her about the waterfall trip she would have been eager to get in behind her hilux steering off road
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel