800VA Inverter connected to Main battery

Default 800VA Inverter connected to Main battery

Hi Guys,

We're relocating to Pretoria very soon and a daunting Marine tank move lays ahead

My main concern is to run a 300W heater and 80W flow pump for roughly 8 hours to ensure optimum water conditions for my water creatures.

I currently have a 800VA pure sinewave inverter that I run off a deep cycle battery incase of power outages, but this setup won't last nearly long enough with the 300w heater. I'm currently contemplating the following options and would like any advise.

1. Run a petrol generator all the way and power the two appliances
    2. Connect the Inventer under the hood of the hilux and run the AC cables to the back of the bakkie. Quite a bulky unit but the Hilux has plenty of hiding space.
    3. Perhaps consider a dual battery setup.

On first thoughts, Option 2 might be the easiest for me to setup, but I'm not sure if the alternator/main battery will be fine. Any thoughts/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

How big is the tank? Usually people overdo the size of their heater so before you go into that just revisit your requirements.

Having had a 400L marine aquarium through the worst of the load shedding in CPT it might be worth investing in a generator or UPS.

A pure sinewave inverter is not needed for aquariums - these are not fancy electronics you're dealing with..
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Andreas do you have the UNILINE Pure Sine Wave Inverter?

Your option 2 sounds feasible, but you should not turn the engine off for more than a few minutes at a time. Or you could add a switch to the heater circuit to turn it off temporarily during stops. Obviously the 300W heater will only be needed now & then to maintain water temperature.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Andreas do you have the UNILINE Pure Sine Wave Inverter?

Your option 2 sounds feasible, but you should not turn the engine off for more than a few minutes at a time. Or you could add a switch to the heater circuit to turn it off temporarily during stops. Obviously the 300W heater will only be needed now & then to maintain water temperature.
    Agree with Eggie here. Dont think the heater will be on all the time, else you will have boiled Sushi. Also as he says, keeping the engine running.

Drive carefully, dont want your little buddies to get sea sick on the trip.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Sorry Andreas. I misunderstood your post...

You're asking for advice on the move itself...

Tricky one, but are you moving it as a whole?
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Hi Guys,

We're relocating to Pretoria very soon and a daunting Marine tank move lays ahead

My main concern is to run a 300W heater and 80W flow pump for roughly 8 hours to ensure optimum water conditions for my water creatures.

I currently have a 800VA pure sinewave inverter that I run off a deep cycle battery incase of power outages, but this setup won't last nearly long enough with the 300w heater. I'm currently contemplating the following options and would like any advise.

1. Run a petrol generator all the way and power the two appliances
    2. Connect the Inventer under the hood of the hilux and run the AC cables to the back of the bakkie. Quite a bulky unit but the Hilux has plenty of hiding space.
    3. Perhaps consider a dual battery setup.

On first thoughts, Option 2 might be the easiest for me to setup, but I'm not sure if the alternator/main battery will be fine. Any thoughts/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Have you considered leaving your livestock (liverock,fish,coral) at a petshop to babysit till you move you tank and setup then have it shipped, much safe than running directly off a gen. What size tank do you have ?

Personally I would simply run two 6mm2 cables from the main battery back to a second battery in the back. Even a few meters of ordinary surfex (fused both sides, about 20 amp) would do the trick. Set up the whole system in the back with the second battery and inverter. Be VERY careful of water spillage on the electrics, we are talking 220vac here in a moving vehicle with salt water, all adds up to DANGEROUS Remember to take sudden stops (as in emergency) into account and so on, nobody pre plans an accident.

I was also thinking how he is going to move a whole tank without disturbance. I have a 330L freshwater Malawi tank and needs two people to move it when empty.

Thankfully moving fresh water fish was easier when we moved from CT, but we still had some losses

Also, the heater should only require power when it goes on when the temperature drops, then auto-off once the temperatures are right again. That said, not an idea to maybe use two of those small 50W heaters during the move?

Best option IMHO would be to get a decent shop to babysit your fish while you move, then fly down and fly them back up. Just one or two of those fish dying = the cost of the return ticket
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Thanks for the replies gents. For the sake of clarity

The tank is roughly 900l. I've considered flying them up, but logistics will be a mission. I'm planning on taking the fish/coral and liverock with the main setup. If need be, they can stay over in the holding tanks connected up to the mains when I get there. I'll also have a quarantine tank ready if there is any delay with the setup of the main tank.

My major concern with this entire move is off course supplying enough power to run the heater etc. Looking at the temp differencial between the actual outside temp and desired water temp I think a 200-300W would be required. There w

By the sounds of it, it's better to add the inverter directly under the hood and run a cable with AC through to the back. Hopefully there'll be no kinks etc in the cable....I'll take the gennie with incase we're required to stop for a extended period.

Best option IMHO would be to get a decent shop to babysit your fish while you move, then fly down and fly them back up. Just one or two of those fish dying = the cost of the return ticket
    Agreed. Unfortunately I don't trust them. I think it will be riskier keeping my livestock in their tanks. Can't afford for my fish to get infected which is a real possibility in some of their tanks...

900L ?

How do you move and load it?
    Kobus

HDJ81 VX

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    900L ?

How do you move and load it?
    I'll have to empty the entire tank and break the system down piece by piece

Therefore the tank/stand/livestock etc will all be seperate during the move.

Has anyone run a gennie on the back of a car/trailer. How would you prevent it from getting wet during a downpour. What are the risks

P.S - Dink dis tyd om my hobbies te review

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    P.S - Dink dis tyd om my hobbies te review
    Not at all, I love all my fish tanks. Haven't gone for a ocean tank mainly due to moral concerns over where they get the stock and how they get them. Same for some fresh water species we refuse to buy (aka Torpedo Barbs & Hatchets).

That said, nothing like setting up a habitat that the fish enjoy and flourish in.

I really hope your tank move goes well! Then at least I know where I can get coral frags from should I want a ocean tank
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Hope admins don't mind .. but maybe post your question here http://www.marineaquariumsa.com .. marine aquarium forum .....lots of advise here ...

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Not at all, I love all my fish tanks. Haven't gone for a ocean tank mainly due to moral concerns over where they get the stock and how they get them. Same for some fresh water species we refuse to buy (aka Torpedo Barbs & Hatchets).

That said, nothing like setting up a habitat that the fish enjoy and flourish in.

I really hope your tank move goes well! Then at least I know where I can get coral frags from should I want a ocean tank
    Agree. You will be more than welcome after I get the stability back in the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by poobear View Post
    Hope admins don't mind .. but maybe post your question here http://www.marineaquariumsa.com .. marine aquarium forum .....lots of advise here ...
    Thanks. I'm a 'old' member there but thought the question around inverters/gennies and the risks etc might be better suited on this forum.

Let me go see if they still remember me there