Botswana and Zim in July

Question Botswana and Zim in July

Hi guys

Im new to the forum and have found lots of useful information. I was wondering if you guys could provide me with some information about a trip we are doing in july.

Myself and 3 friends will be taking a land rover 4x4 diesel through botswana as well as vic falls and Hwange. We're unfortunately on a student budget, so accommodation in botswana is a major problem.

Our plan is to literally camp outside of reserves and off the side of the road where possible, to avoid ridiculous park camping fees. Our proposed itinerary includes: Khutse for a few nights, followed by Nata, then across the border into Hwange for 3 nights, Vic falls, Kasane, Savuti, Moremi, the okavango, and then down to makgadigadi before heading back to pretoria. Its roughly 16 nights.

I've made numerous enquiries about camping fees, park fees etc, and am aware of most of the costs. Does anyone have advice regarding cheap places to camp in the okavango, chpbe or savuti? And what do i need to do to book for Hwange? Ive yet to make any bookings due to the backpacker-like nature of the trip.

All the guys on the trip are pretty chilled and ready for an adventure, so we really aren't fussed about roughing it. I've dne a similar trip before, but it was back in 2000 before the campsites were all privatised.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!! The cheaper the better! Thanks!!!

Welkom by die forum en verskoon dat ek antwoord in afrikaans.

Oor jou bespreking vir Hwange sal jy moet kyk onder Zimbabwe. Daar is kontak besonderhede gegee.

Boskamp in Botswana word toegelaat, maar, nie binne die parke nie. Jy kan groot boetes op die hals haal. Maak seker jul is buite die amptelike parke. Daar is heelwat staatsgrond soos foresty, daar mag jul boskamp.

Onthou net die reel, jy los net jou spore en verder niks nie.

By Kasane is baie plekke wat baie goedkoop kamp opsies het.

In dir Caprivi is ook baie community kampplek. Ondersteun die ouens, baie keer baie billik.

As jul sou belangstel om op die Delta te gaan Mokoros ry, laat weet, ek het 'n tel no van een van die outjies in Boro settlement se sel no, hy doen dit vir n lewe en kan jul goedkoop so wegkom.

Vra gerus nog.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Dankie vir die info! I'm afraid my afrikaans isn't great, so will reply in english, but i can understand it fine in a reply. Don't worry, we will only camp in designated campsites within the reserves, but we will just make a plan whenever else we can. Could you please provide me with the details about the mokoro day trips from Maun? I am definitely interested in doing that, thanks for the help!!

I've managed to find quite a few cheap places to camp in and around Kasane, which should make life easy up there. Other than that, i was thinking about staying in Audi camp on the way to Moremi, and then possibly in moremi at third bridge. Are there any cheap places near Moremi and Chobe that anyone can recommend? I've also found cheap campsites at Nata.

Thanks for the help!! any information no matter how little is greatly appreciated.

Ok, ek gaan in afrikaans se, maar jy is welkom om te vra in engels, my engels is maar sleg met die skryf. Tenses jy weet.

Oor die mokoro trip, jip my seun het die ou se sel no, ek sal more hom bel en dit vir jou kry. Terloops, hul het met die toeroperateur R1000 vir die dag betaal, net twee koeldranke gekry en snacks, die man wat die mokoro gedoen het die hele dag is maar R180 betaal, so, ek glo jy kan met hom onderhandel . Terloops jy kan ook met hom reel om oor te slaap op een van die eilande, jy moet net vir hom ook kos saamvat.

Om Moremi te besoek is moontlik, maar oorweeg die kampplek by kwaai community, dit is fantaslties. Jy sien baie wild,

Stuur my jou epos adres en ek sal vir jou kaart stuur hoe ons daar gery het.

Terloops in Maun is Audi oraait maar hul het by Sedia Hotel gekamp. Baie beter.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    Sarel 0828209413

Smile Botswana and Zim in July

hi Elize, ek sal ook graag die kontakbesonderhede vir mokoro trips en jou trip report wil bekom. Ons gaan ook middel Julie Botswana/Caprivi toe.

waardeer dankie
    groete
    Paul

Ek sal die tel no vanaand kry.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    Sarel 0828209413

Hi Aleric. I have just came back from basicly the trip that you intend doing. I agree with Witklipbank wrt Botswanna. I stayed in Robins Camp in Hwange, and I would defenitly not recomend this camp. We were the only visitors in the camp, the camp is falling appart, the animals are very afraid of any vehicles, and it cost is appr. USD 50/pppn, this includes camping, vehicle, nature reservation fees, and exclude the entrance fee at the border post that is calculated according to you enjin capacity. The Vic falls was just amaising, but the locals tried to sell anything to you as soon as you stopped in town
    Overall, the Vic Falls was the only thing that made this trip into Zim worth doing
    Hope this helps, but this is my opinion and others might differ from me
    Henning Kruger

'11 FJ Cruiser
    '07 Conqueror Commander

We stayed at Senyati just outside of Kasane last year. Prices were reasonable, they have a watering hole right in front of the pub with elephants and other animals visiting 24 hours per day. Awesome. At Vic Falls, be polite but firm and you will be ok. We found Zimbabwe to be friendlier than Botswana. If you have a garmin with southern africa you will find numerous campsites using basecamp. We cannot go back this year, but will be trying in Jul/August again next year. Good advice from Witklipbank, leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos.
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

Thanks for the info! Kragkruger - where did you stay in botswana? Any cheap places i would be able to stay?

Plod - im definitely interested in staying at senyati.. Tried to get hold of them but no reply yet.

I've just been running through a potential budget, and Hwange seems to cost a hell of a lot for park fees and camping. Given that we are only going into Hwange for 2-3 days before heading to vic falls, is it feasible?

We're on a student budget and looking to keep it as cheap as possible. Is it better to just stay on the botswana side and do a trip to Vic falls from Kasane and back?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Another question - If staying in a reserve, for example at Savuti or Third bridge, does one have to pay for each day in the reserve? In other words, is it like Hwange where you pay a once off entry fee as long as you are staying within the reserve? Or do you have to pay the fees for each day in the reserve regardless of where you are staying?

Just makes it a lot more expensive if you leave early the following morning etc.

Thanks!!!

Aleric, in the Bots parks you pay per day. P125 per grownup, plus P50 per day for your vehicle. This is over and above the camping fees of around R150 PPPD.

In the vacinity of Moremi, there are three cheaper options I know of, being Khwai Community (close to North Gate), Kaziikini (close to South Gate) and Mankwe Lodge (51km from South Gate). Any of these are substantially cheaper than inside the reserve, but you still have to pay the reserve entry fees even as day visitors.

I do not know of any alternative accomodation in the vicinity of Savuti.

Vic falls is close enough to Kasane to make it a good day trip. Entrance to Vic Falls is $20 US, and entry into Zim will cost you around $70/vehicle.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2012/06/25 at 01:53 PM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Ons was onlangs by Bobo Settlement se Mokoro's. Baie lekker.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0366.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	152219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0428.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	152220  

Thanks peter! Does that mean if we stay in a park for one night, we have to pay for 2 days in the park as well, even if we leave early?

In Botswana betaal jy per dag en eers vir dag twee indien jy na 11 uur die oggend die park verlaat. Dus, dit is goed, gaan vroeg in die park , geniet die hele dag, slaap en staan vroeg op om teen 10:30 die park te verlaat, dan betaal jy nie vir nog 'n dag in die park nie.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    Sarel 0828209413