Ihaha/Suvuti in Sept, 2012

Default Ihaha/Suvuti in Sept, 2012

Hello. My wife and I are renting a 4x4 in Maun on Sept 11, 2012. We had plans to meet and travel with friends immediately after arriving in Maun that fell through. We have reservations in Moremi Park Sept 20-25 and we are now scrambling to figure out what to do with our time before arriving at Moremi. Our first choice is to drive the tar road to Vic Falls and then back to the Moremi area through Chobe/Suvuti, but all campsites are now booked solid. I'm wondering if anyone is willing to share their reservations at Ihaha and Suvuti from Sept 14-18 with us? We are easy going and willing to pay for half of the campsite fees. Please let me know if you or someone you know may be interested. Or perhaps you have other recommendations for filling our time?

Thanks...

Cool

Hello,

AFAIK, the camping fees are pro person and not pro campsite....

Cheers.

Thanks Eric60260 I knew that, but forgot. We are still looking for a generous person to share their sites with us. We are certainly willing to work out some sort of cost sharing scenario if we can.

Make reservations at Nxai Pan or camp in Nata, then Hwange, on to Vic Falls and then Kasane, where you can visit Chobe for a couple days and a boat cruise. Its up in the air what to tell you after that without knowing what your 1st campsite is on the 20th.

Cool

Hello,

If you have a rent car, make sure that you are allowed to drive to Zimbabwe with it.

If not, a good option to visit Vic Falls is to stay at Kasane (Lodge with camping sites), and take a day tour to Vic Falls via the Lodge (I do not remember exactly the costs, maybe $ 100 / person, but it saves you a lot of costs you would have if driving do Zim).

Thank you. We are staying at Xakanaxa Sept 20-22 and 3rd Bridge Sept 23-25. I've heard Nxai Pan can be a real disappointment in September as most wildlife have dispersed from the area that time of year... We have also considered the Central Kalahari and Makgadikgadi Pans area, but are unsure if it is worth our time for the same reason as above.
    Last edited by quickhatch; 2012/06/15 at 09:15 PM.

Don't discount Nxai Pan! Many people warned us we'll be disappointed with Nxai in September but they were totally wrong. We followed a pride of lions with cubs for 2 days, and they were stalking the waterhole so we saw some interesting interactions. The waterhole is the only one around for miles so the animals have no other option but to drink from there and the lions know it. It is true there is not much game around, but the little there is stay in very predictable places and you are bound to see predator-prey interaction if you stay long enough.

Of course if you get a booking for Savuti and Ihaha it is better and more spectacular, but Nxai Pain is worthwhile as well should that plan fail.

Wish you luck with your request!

We've been to Nxai four times now at various times of the year and have always really enjoyed it. Last time was in November and we had great sightings - lion every day (though my other half could have done without the encounter with a lioness en route to the campsite ablutions...). The waterhole is great and it is a small enough park with few enough visitors to make it feel like your own. Highly recommended.

Hi Quickhatch,

We are doing the same type of trip at the very same time - Sept/Oct. We couldnt get in to savuti or Ihaha, but have been told that if you rock up at savuti there is an overflow campsite which is quite large. From there we will decide whether to push through to Kasane, or try and camp just over the river from Ngoma bridge...
    See you up there.
    Cheers

Hi Quickhatch and welcome to the forum

9 extra days to work out where spend in Botswana. What a pleasure! Don't scramble, take your time. Yes, you do need to get your campsite bookings done, but there are often cancellations and changes. We were able to shift dates last year with a few days notice. Didn't get exactly what we wanted but there were options.

I think the big question is actually which direction do you go from Maun...You could go South-West: with 9 days to spend I would seriously consider the Kgalagadi. Some of the best big cat viewing you may see anywhere in Southern Africa. Perhaps you have done it before.

You could also go up the panhandle North and make your way back along the Zambezi to Kasane and then south to Moremi. Lots to see and explore. 9 days on that route is perfect.

If you prefer North-East, then you can also base out of any of a variety of very good campsites in Kasane (don't even need to book, there are plenty to choose from) and take a few days to explore Chobe river front and also Vic Falls. This is a great filler if you don't get the Ihaha, Savuti, or Linyanti dates you want.

Enjoy the planning.

Regards
    RSG
    Cape Town to Cape Maclear and back in 3 months (click here for trip reports)
    Vehicle knowledge is more important than trip knowledge imho (click here for expensive lessons)
    We will never be the same again.

Jurgens XT140 Off-road trailer (sold)
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 S (2005) (sold)