Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 4Wheel Lover View Post
    I like your pics Ostilion

Are there different categories of photos? If there is pardon my terminology. I like to break them down into Information photos and Artistic photos.

7915 is a good example of an artistic photo. I would have liked the focus to be much sharper. You're working with very high contrasts and that is shown much better with sharp edges.

7916 is another one. Here I would have set the focus nearer and allow the focus to "wane" into the distance, if that makes sense.

On the other photos your main object is too centred. An offset would have given it a beter touch. 5 fully grown males and only 1 female. First time I've seen that.

ANY IDEA WHAT CAR THAT WAS

Where are the guys who REALLY know about photos......
    Thanks, It is only resend that I started "trying" to take nice and sometimes unusual photographs, It is making me jealous to see some of the excellent photographs some of the guys are taking, so I am trying as well, but still a lot to learn and this includes photography and the camera. I am using a Panasonic Lumix TZ1, it has all these nice settings, just need to leartn how to work them

"5 fully grown males and 1 female", I guess she is the lucky girl , this picture was taken sometime ago at the Rhino and Lion park just north of Krugersdorp.

No idea what car that was, this was taken at Gaansbaai earlier this year. I think it has been there for ever.

Thanks for the comments

Some wonderful pictures been taken!!!

Here are some general tips, I am by no means an expert but picked up a thing or two.

Composition is 95% of a shot and you need abit of an eye for it. But there are some rules to help. The first is the rule of thirds. It seems that a better balance picture has third proportions. So for sunset have the horizon a third from the bottom of the frame. A surfer standing against the sunset should be positioned a third from the left or right. A subject dead centre attracts too much attention... 50 50 sky ground you don't know which one is emphasised.

Its also a good idea to have something running through the picture to draw the eye. River, fence, road...

Little things that don't belong in a picture like a bit of tree intruding into the picture or a shadow of someone standing near by.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

YSBLOK Guest

A Photo of Table Mountain from another angle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boot Foto.JPG 
Views:	402 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	7927  

Default Namibia July 2007

More Namibia fotos

Name:	Nam Toer 2007 727.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	7936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nam Toer 2007 899.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	7937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nam Toer 2007 544.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	318.2 KB 
ID:	7938  

Jeepers daai foto spreek boekdele. I like it , it's wild.
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Some really great photos here! I'm jealous! But I like reading the views expressed and I agree that this thread is providing a great learning curve, Thanks, guys!

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

I like your pics Ostilion
    So do I

7915 is a good example of an artistic photo. I would have liked the focus to be much sharper. You're working with very high contrasts and that is shown much better with sharp edges.
    When it comes to sharpness, nothing beats a good tripod, whenever practical. It allows you to control depth of field without worrying about slow shutter speeds, as well as allowing you to photograph things when the light is low. Image stabilisation helps, but it's typically only a stop or two.

The attached picture shows why it's a good idea to always have a tripod with you.

Name:	IMGP2380_1024.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	7939  
    '97 Disco Tdi

AND YOU NEVER REPORTED A UFO

What the heck is that Henk?
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

That was the recent comet in about Jan or Feb lots of photo's appeared on the Forum.SimonB had some nice shots as well
    2010 3l D4D Hilux Raider DC, Burnco front bumper, Cooper STT's, Ironman Shocks and Coils, Stofpad Rocksliders and LCSP's
    <O></O>
    ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Henc, very nice photo. I agree on the tripod, must stil buy me one. Is there a huge difference between the different tripods, as moneywise, you get a tripod from R99.00 upwards. Im not talking about a professional photographer.

Default Leopard near Kruger

one of my favourites

Name:	Shumbalala_cropped.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	7996  

WHOW WHOW WHOW, That is an amazing photo of the leopard!!!!!
    TLC 105 Fully Locked

MAN!!! I spend a lot of my spare time in the veld, and I have been for 30 odd years. I'VE NEVER SEEN A LEOPARD IN THE VELD!....and here you've got one stalking you! Brilliant.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Quote Originally Posted by Paj3.2 View Post
    one of my favourites
    Yes this is a beut.

Look at those ears. Magic...
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
    Henc, very nice photo. I agree on the tripod, must stil buy me one. Is there a huge difference between the different tripods, as moneywise, you get a tripod from R99.00 upwards. Im not talking about a professional photographer.
    'fraid so. What you need to look at is the weight of camera that you are planning on supporting and then choose accordingly. The cheaper tripods will work just about OK under ideal conditions. The trade-off is also weight. The heavier a tripod is, the more stable it should be, AND the more weight it is to lug around.
    '97 Disco Tdi

Thanks, will go tripod hunting.

If it helps, I'm using a Manfrotto 725B. It's perfect for digicams and seems to cope fine with smaller DSLRs unless you get into big heavy lenses.
    '97 Disco Tdi

this isint the best photo, but it took it with a 3.2MP pentax optio THROUGH my binos lens. hows that for fitting a zoom lens

Name:	P1020250.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	8020  
    1997 Cruiser 1HZ - New Toy
    2003 Lexus IS200 - Daily
    2006 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 - Trouble Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Berty View Post
    this isint the best photo, but it took it with a 3.2MP pentax optio THROUGH my binos lens. hows that for fitting a zoom lens
    Berty, Berty, Berty... you should've left us think that thing's ears were filling your viewfinder! A very nice photo to have been taken in such a way though!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
    Thanks, will go tripod hunting.
    Don't buy the cheapest you can find - they're made of very thin metal and they don't stay stable for long - but Manfrotto will probably be one of the most expensive you can find. They're excellent quality though, and you get all kinds of cool attachments for them.

Look for a quick-release mount to attach to the camera so you don't have to unscrew the camera from the mount every time you may want to take a photo without the tripod; supports from the legs to the centre shaft for greater stability; a nice and thick centre shaft with a solid telescopic extension, and rubber feet that can screw in deeper to expose spikes. Not everything is equally important, of course, but it's for you to decide what you really want and what would be a bonus extra. The panning device, the centre shaft-to-legs support and the centre shaft telescopic extension should all have tightening screws though, even though you may not use all of them all the time.

I have a relatively cheap tripod with most useful features, but two nice things I'd like to have on my next tripod are a spirit level, and a hook at the bottom of the centre shaft to hang my bag onto if I want to stabilise the tripod, like when there's a strong wind. And I think I'd like something that can extend to eyelevel, so, just a smidgen bigger than my current one.

Oh, and get yourself one of those little mini tripods too. They can be very useful for close-up photography, especially when focus is so critical, and you get some pretty inexpensive ones too. It's not that important that it should be superstrong and stable, as you're probably not going to take macroshots in a gale anyway; all it has to do is keep your camera steady, and it has to be easy to put away when you're not using it. The cheapest one I've seen has flexible legs though, and that's the only one I wouldn't recommend, because it moves when someone sneezes in the next room. All the others I've seen have something going for them, be it in size, price or stability.

Page 5 of 158 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast