Kaokoland Camping Sites (Puros/Sesfontien) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Chris
    Thank you for the track info, w.r.t. petrol I noticed on T4A they mention fuel(petrol?) at Puros is that correct?

2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion A/T
    2019 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Highline
    2015 Jurgens Xplorer

Fuel at Puros? Absolutely no chance, unless you can "bum" some out of the lodge in an emergency.

I don't use T4A and neither do I believe that it is safe to treat it as a "Bible". Situations, tracks, fuel etc change year on year up in the north west - it's best to double check on anything that could become critical. Also, make sure you have a map and know where you are for the occasion when the necessary satellite falls out of the sky.

Chris

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

wat van Camp Syncro, Marienfluss langs die Kunene rivier

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Ongongo at Warmquelle - NO< NO. Dit is nie meer wat dit was nie.

Marble campsite = goed

Puros - ek het net goeie goed gelees van die community campsite. ]

Khowarib Lodge - goeie verslag gelees onlangs.
    Camp Syncro langs die Kunene rivier

Quote Originally Posted by Dakman View Post
    We are doing a similar trip. We are not going over Van Zyls Pass; cannot see that there are any campsites en route. We want to travel from Epupa to Marble Campsite. It is too long for a day. Anyone done this route and bypassing van Zyls? Then I would like to know if it is better to do the riverbed route through the Khumibriver to Puros or detour which is indicated as the shortest route on Tracks4Africa. From there to sesfontein, same thing, what is the best route?
    We are travelling with an off-road campig trailer.
    We were given the advice that we should not do the whole route through the Marienfluss Valley up to the Kunene.? Would it be worthwhile just doing an in ond out day trip from Marble campsite?
    Our time is limited; we have 4 days from when we leave Epupa to get back to Swakopmund. Too short?
    if you had a few days more, you should do the route through the Marienfluss to Kunene river, Camp Syncro

as mentioned, don't fully rely on fuel at sesfontein, especialy in the high tourist season.

And yes, unfortunately Ongongo is not what it used to be.

Ongono and Puros sites are "off", but Marble is 100, so is Khowarib, about 35km from Sesfontein, direction Palmwag

I visied Ongongo earlier this year and found the 'manager' asleep in a wheelbarrow. I didn't stay.

I moved on the Camel Top just past Sefontein which gets better all the time, then to Puros Camp. I plan to go back next year. Why is it 'off'?

Default Re: Kaokoland Camping Sites (Puros/Sesfontien)

I'll be in this area in February/March, coming through Van Zyl's pass from Epupa, is it possible to travel south from Puros towards Palmwag? thinking rain season, flooding, etc... Which route?
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Kaokoland Camping Sites (Puros/Sesfontien)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Matondo, we found Puros Ngatutanga community camp to be more than adequate, especially in the context of being a community site in such an isolated area. You have your own shower and flush toilet for each site. You might have to light the donkey yourself or prompt the camp staff to do it for you if it is at the time of the year when a hot shower is what you want. For much of the year you will be needing a cold shower. Plenty of shade and the sites are pretty spread out for privacy. Highly reccommended. Recent reports seem to indicate no changes for the worse. In fact no other choices in this area. If you are going out of high season ie not from July to Sept. no booking is required. Otherwise you can book through the community camp central bookings, www.nacobta.com.na
    if I remember correctly. A bit of Googling should set you on your way, otherwise I am sure a further query here will give you the answer.

Marble campsite also of a very high standard with excellent communal ablutions.

The community camps and the Fort itself at Sesfontein are clearly not of the same standard to my mind. The best place to stay in the area seems to be the camp at Khowarib Lodge although the community camp is OK. At the lodge camp you can use their pub and also the restuarant if you book earlier in the day. Ogongo looked very exposed and drab with very little shade and has apparently deteriorated further.
    Stan, I was at the Ogongo springs camp in Late May. Not sure if you are talking about this one but it was all being rebuilt with shade cover and new showers and toilets. It would have been completed by June 2017. Down near the springs was where we stayed and they were planning to make new facilities along the ridge as well.The ridge camping was terrible but down inside near the springs was very good. They also stoked the donkey for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2