Small 4x4 advice request - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sally, I'm one of those people that look at the bigger picture when buying a car. Looking at the odo reading is kind of like looking at the speedo of a 1980 1100 Golf and telling your mates it can do 200......

It does not tell the whole story. If the rest of the car is in great shape, odds are it was mechanically maintained as well. Try to haggle for at least 5k discount.

And take it for a complete service, replacing things like the cambelt and clutch as a matter of routine (unless good evidence exists its been done.) Obviously, all other belts and hozes as well

And no, 260k on the odo will give you at least another 100 000+ without too much hassles. And even then, biting the bullet once and going big on a overhaul will give you many many years of service.

Every single component on a car is man made, and can be replaced or repaired.

Many people differ from me on this issue, but modern cars can really do 500 000km with routine maintennance and 1 or 2 bigger expenses on the way.

Hi Tony, I'll be working in a private game reserve not too far from the Kgalagadi TNP. It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it ;-)
    Thanks for the advice, I'm now pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Rav... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gert du Preez View Post
    Sally, I'm one of those people that look at the bigger picture when buying a car. Looking at the odo reading is kind of like looking at the speedo of a 1980 1100 Golf and telling your mates it can do 200......

It does not tell the whole story. If the rest of the car is in great shape, odds are it was mechanically maintained as well. Try to haggle for at least 5k discount.

And take it for a complete service, replacing things like the cambelt and clutch as a matter of routine (unless good evidence exists its been done.) Obviously, all other belts and hozes as well

And no, 260k on the odo will give you at least another 100 000+ without too much hassles. And even then, biting the bullet once and going big on a overhaul will give you many many years of service.

Every single component on a car is man made, and can be replaced or repaired.

Many people differ from me on this issue, but modern cars can really do 500 000km with routine maintennance and 1 or 2 bigger expenses on the way.
    Thanks Gert, that's very helpful, and you make lots of good points. I guess as an inexperienced buyer I tend to get too attached to one or two particular numbers, and forget to look at the whole picture.
    Thank you very much for all your help :-)

i agree with the softroader direction. just got a Feroza myself and looked at the vitara 1st but way more expensive for same class. The vitare/sj/feroza are all old school bulletproof but really cant compare as daily drivers to the likes of a pajero io (brilliant but expensive) and rav. I got mine as a toy and more hectic stuff in mind. Got no difflock as previouly stated in this thread... I Wish it had... But then i only paid R35k and its got a 16v 1,6 engine with lowrange.
    Torch

Daihatsu Feroza
    1,8 (Toyota 7AGE) custom build
    20V silvertop head
    weber sidedraughts
    30' KL71 muds
    Winch

Platkar: Tucson CRDi
    Buell XB12

Cool, thanks Torch. I went for the Rav and we're enjoying it so far :-) Enjoy the Feroza!

Hi all, now my turn for some advice :-)

I'm looking at trading in my 99 Jeep 2.5 XJ. After having to basically rebuild the engine, replace the turbo and the rest of the issues I've had with it, it's no longer a thing of beauty in my eyes.

Now that is not the only reason I'm wanting to trade it in, I'm on a project in the Joburg CBD and I'm needing an economical (more than my daily used Everest) which can get me to the office from Pta and an also fit in the small parking bay at the parking lot near my client.
    Also because I used my Jeep as a weekend off roader mud and fun car around Gauteng ( never trusted it for long journeys or anything hectic) I'm not wanting to get a platkar as I enjoy playing in the dirt.

My budget is Maximum 110k, So, I'm looking at in no particular order, 2nd hand:
    Mahindra Thar
    Suzuki Jimny
    Freelander
    Rav4

The key is cost,fuel efficiency, reliability, size and ease of maintenance.

Any tips/advice/warnings,

Cheers,
    Grant
    Ranger Wildtrack 3.2. Manual + 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.4 platkar. 1x SWAMBO, 1x Ex-SWAMBO, 1x mini SWAMBO, 1x mini Me, 1x very mini SWAMBO, 2x Useless Mutts, 1x Mortgage, 1x Maxxed Credit Card... Yup, I am the Statistic!

Have I left everybody dumbstruck at my decision to get rid of my jeep hehehe
    Ranger Wildtrack 3.2. Manual + 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.4 platkar. 1x SWAMBO, 1x Ex-SWAMBO, 1x mini SWAMBO, 1x mini Me, 1x very mini SWAMBO, 2x Useless Mutts, 1x Mortgage, 1x Maxxed Credit Card... Yup, I am the Statistic!

Quote Originally Posted by Bookjunkie View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I'm now pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Rav... :-)
    There are 2 "softroaders" that really buck the odds. They live in the most inhospitable places and last. They are the RAV and the CRV. They are both totally underrated.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Cool, does the Rav come with low range and diff lock?
    LSD is also cool but don't want to lose my low range.

No Low Range. The VX has a centre diff lock. The normal RAV has only Front Wheel Drive. So just make sure that you know what you are buying.

That RAV4 D4D really is a beaut.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

RAV 2 Litre has the Camry Petrol engine, if reasonably maintained, that engine is just about at 50% of its life at 260000 km.

I've seen bundles of Camry's from Phuthaditjaba with 500 + kkm on the clock.......and in Phuthas, "service" means topping up when the oil light comes on.

The RAV will also get you the best resale value (and the Suzuki SJ).

SJ is a great car offroad, but a bitch to drive daily over long tar distances (I had 6 of them - 4 x SJ 410's, and two SJ 413 LWB's). SJ is also very reliable, not sure how easy parts availability is in remote destinations...........I'd say, all things being equal, the RAV also comes out tops in this department (lots of RAV's also in neighbouring countries).
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Is the Rav economical?

I'm not too worried about cross border as this vehicle will be for weekend fun in the dirt and as my runabout in the Joburg CBD, I'm wanting to limit the km I'd put on my everest with a PTA to CBD run daily and also a car which is able to fit in the tiny parking bays at the wemmer parkade

I'm fond of the Suzuki. Although finding one is hard to do.

I would say a vitara like Zantus has got would be ideal.

Ps : Love your signature innerchild
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Bookjunkie,

Your car selection seems to have been sorted. You have us all guesssing though. If it is not too big a secret we would like to know about this "project" of yours in the Kalahari. Sounds like you're heading for some nice places.

As you say, someone has to do these %$^&# jobs, so it might just as well be you. Seeing as we are spared the agony of having to go and live in the bush, let us in on the secret so we can gloat?

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Bedinges
    I would say a vitara like Zantus has got would be ideal.

Ps : Love your signature innerchild
    Never even thought of the Vitara. Thanks for the heads up.

LoL! Thanks 😃

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2