Small 4x4 advice request

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Small 4x4 advice request

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a small 4x4 for daily use and the ability to travel freely without having to worry about whether my little car will make it out alive (I currently own a Tazz!). I've looked at some Suzukis and am also wondering about a small Daihatsu Terios or Pajero iO. My budget is R70k max, but I would prefer to spend less. I'm going to the Kalahari soon for 6 months of fieldwork, so I need something that is easily fixable far away from the city.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I have seen a very nice Suzuki Vitara 1.6 soft top which is very tempting, though the asking price is at the limit of my budget. Does this sound reasonable for this vehicle? (The value app portal http://www.motoronline.co.za/portal/...chema=PORTAL30 someone recently posted about says the value is R38k!)

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Sally

Hi Sally,

Have a look at the Forum's Classifed section, there are a few Suzukis there and you may just find a suitable vehicle. Buying a 4x4 from someone on the Forum would be the way to go in my opinion. Hope you find what you need and enjoy the Kalahari when you get there.

Vitara's are nice. Jimny's are better

My2c
    '98 Nissan Patrol 4.2d GU Y61
    “Donkie”
    Life is a journey, not a destination!!
    Try slowing down once in a while
    and soak up your surroundings.
    You might just surprise yourself.

I suspect Jimny's are our of his price range. This would be my first choice:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/classi...-2-8-swb/cat/4

Very capable, the 2.8TD isn't nearly as thirsty as the 3.0 or 3.5 petrol engines and fairly cheap to maintain.
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

For that money I would buy an SJ413 and use the spare cash to fix it up a little.
    Dewald

Thanks everyone. Sadly Jimnys are out of my price range. Anyone got any feeling for whether R65k - R70k is an unreasonable price to pay for '97 1.6L Vitara in good condition?

What's the general opinion of the Terios (1.3L, early 2000s model)? I wouldn't want it to do any off-roading, just would like to be able to cope with rough roads, occasional mud/sand, not have to worry about the undercarriage scraping, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookjunkie View Post
    Thanks everyone. Sadly Jimnys are out of my price range. Anyone got any feeling for whether R65k - R70k is an unreasonable price to pay for '97 1.6L Vitara in good condition?

What's the general opinion of the Terios (1.3L, early 2000s model)? I wouldn't want it to do any off-roading, just would like to be able to cope with rough roads, occasional mud/sand, not have to worry about the undercarriage scraping, etc.
    You can buy a mint Samurai for that price which will run circles around much bigger/ more expensive vehicles off-road. It is not however very fast on road.

Sally. If you can stomach the fuel consumption you can get very good deals on SWB (even LWB) Pajero's in your price range.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

here is an older daihatsu feroza 4x4. would be better option than a terios. has diflock, low range, for R37000 then u got money to service it and maybe add some mods..
    http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree....AdIdZ388132140
    Luke aka Jedi

1954 Landy Rover Series 1 86"- Rambling Rose
    Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

Thanks Jedi!
    Any idea about the fuel consumption and availability of parts/cost of maintenance for this vehicle?

That is a bit above the top price for a mint car. I've got a 16Valve Hardtop Vitara, bought it 18 months ago with only 40 000 on the odo, brand new set of tyres fitted by the seller, and the seller sent it for a service before I took delivery. The car was in a "as new" condition (was.....)

I paid R65k, which was still maybe R5k too much, but the seller was a bloke of impeccable credentials, so I was willing to fork out the extra money. And it was propably the lowest km on ANY Viatara in the country at that time. Its on 90 000km now. A LOT of that on gravel and offroad. I never take a tar road anywhere if there is a gravel alternative. I went to places like Kaokoveld, Damaraland, frequent outings in the dunes and in the Naukluft etc. No worries about it's offroad cred!

Both the Jimny and SJ are more capable offroad. Since the Jimney is out of price, comparing it to the Samurai (SJ413) The Vitara is faster, uses less fuel on the open road, much better acceleration and overtaking, much better ride, less noise......

The SJ's got a life front axle, which makes it better in tough offroad (sand driving does not count as tough' IMHO) Its got better break over angles due to more clearance. It looks better, it will propably (definately) sell for more money 5 years down the line. The Vitara is a mini-SUV, the SJ is a mini-offrader. The Vitara is bland, the SJ's got soul.

I would pick the SJ413. Any day. But thats just me. Since I avoid the highway, the reletive "advantage" the Vitara may have is gone.

And the SJ looks waaay cool

For a normal person (i.e. excluding me) the Vitara is a better allrounder. '97 ish model with 120 - 150 000 on the odo in good nick should cost between R40 and R 50k.

RE Your other options: The IO is expensive to maintain. The Terios is an OK softie, but you will get the same and more from a RAV4, the Landy Freelander is the best softie but full of Landroverness() that will make you want to cry...and apart from the IO none of these have Lowrange.
    Last edited by Gert du Preez; 2012/06/16 at 10:43 PM.

only old freelander worth buying is the td4 with the bmw diesel. rest of the old freelander models are full of issues..
    Luke aka Jedi

Best company slogan: Cherrybomb performance exhaust, Disturbing the peace since 1968

Thanks Gert, that's really helpful. Right now I'm very torn between an SJ413 and a RAV4 - I guess it's almost a choice between lifestyles!
    What do you think of a 1996 5 door RAV4 with 260 000km on the clock, going for R60k? It's in great condition but the mileage worries me, and having all the fancy extras out in the bundu (electrical windows, mirrors, power steering, etc. etc.) - how likely are they to break down, and how difficult and expensive to fix?
    Then there's the all original 1988 SJ413, with (we think) 120 000km on the clock, R45k, engine overhauled but all original. Much less frills, much tougher 4x4 ability of course, much less to go wrong - I guess - but is it going to be more expensive to maintain, more difficult to get the parts if she does break down out in the middle of nowhere??
    (I'm going to the kalahari for 6 months of fieldwork, hence the worry about breaking down up there!)

Thanks Gert, that's really helpful. Right now I'm very torn between an SJ413 and a RAV4 - I guess it's almost a choice between lifestyles!
    What do you think of a 1996 5 door RAV4 with 260 000km on the clock, going for R60k? It's in great condition but the mileage worries me, and having all the fancy extras out in the bundu (electrical windows, mirrors, power steering, etc. etc.) - how likely are they to break down, and how difficult and expensive to fix?
    Then there's the all original 1988 SJ413, with (we think) 120 000km on the clock, R45k, engine overhauled but all original. Much less frills, much tougher 4x4 ability of course, much less to go wrong - I guess - but is it going to be more expensive to maintain, more difficult to get the parts if she does break down out in the middle of nowhere??
    (I'm going to the kalahari for 6 months of fieldwork, hence the worry about breaking down up there!)
    I would think carefully about this. Why does a petrol engine with 120 K have a reconditioned engine. Was it seriously neglected.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

as far as parts for the suzuki, i think parts shouldn't be too much of an issue as they been here for years not like a newer import. choosing between these 2 options i say suzuki, keep it simple....
    Luke aka Jedi

LOL, Jedi, even though I do not really consider the Freelander as a Landrover, it still feels like blasphemy to mention "unreliable" an land Rover in the same sentence. But thats what I meant

I think sally could not have picked a worse bunch to give advice. Hell, this is a community where MT's are required to thake the kids to school, 33inch is better than 31 inch, snorkels are cruicial equipment, and a after market suspension compulsery.

Look at her requirements: A dayly runner that can do some gravel travel, NO offroad. Presumably the worst will be Kalahari tweespoorpaadjies.

For that just about anything will do. Terios will be just fine. So the RAV, and Vitara. Of these 3, the RAV is the most abundant on the roads, and will propably be the easiest to maintain. (The newer Terios and older RAV share the same mechanical underpinnings)

What would clinch it in favour of the RAV (get the 1st gen model. Cheap, and they have a centre difflock) is great road manners thanks to the 2 litre engine and all-round independent suspension, they are really better than a beachbuggy in sand (which seems to be the worst the Sally may encounter) and they are more "car like" than the Vitara. (the Vit is better offroad, and is not a Toyota.....)

Sad to say, but the Toyota is prolly the best buy. Get 1 for about R55 - 60k. And look for the 4 door rather than the 2 door. They are more practical, and look better.

Thanks everyone - mmm, maybe I should have looked for a softroader-specific forum to ask! :-) (I'm enjoying the landrover discussion though! ;-)

Ja, apparently where I'm going for my fieldwork the roads are pretty much passable for a 2x4 with good clearance, but they don't like 2x4s there because of the corrugations they cause. Also I think for peace of mind anyway I'd like to have a 4x4 up there, but it seems a softroader would be fine.

I've heard some people say that for a Toyota 260 000 km on the clock is no problem, but for others that kind of mileage is way too high for their liking. Anyone got any thoughts on that specifically? And what's their consumption like? (I must still do a more detailed search on the consumption stats page on this forum, but only found one diesel on the second page with the filter facility built in.)

A friend of mine had a 3 door Rav4 and she loved it, and it was very reliable. She got about 9km/l on her '96 model 3 door and looking at the Fuelly website that seems to be what other people get as well.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/rav4/1996

Cool website, thanks Zantus!

Hi Sally, I assume from your comment re the roads and 4x2s that your research will be in the Kgalagadi TNP? The RAV is a great little vehicle, and is certainly the one I would go for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast