Defender speaker placement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Defender speaker placement?

So after many years of tinkering with big sound systems in my old Citi Golf, I thought it would be a breeze to do a simple speaker upgrade in the Defender, was I wrong. Where on earth do you fit speakers inside it?
    Right now my only idea is to have very small speakers in the front doors, which are quite useless (but they are no name brands), and then build boxes for two 6 inch speakers under the back seat.
    Do you guys have any suggestions on a better installation?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

I built in two 5" Calibra's into the cubby box between the front seats - much like the Jeep Wrangler idea. I managed to move them forward in the box without compromising internal space. These speakers are driven from an amplifier (switched to sub-woofer) mounted in the battery compartment underneath the front passenger seat.

I can then mix the sound between the small 4" Pioneer speakers front and rear. The sound is a lot better as you can now introduce some bass into the mix.

But there again to get hi-fi quality in a Defender with out the introduction of additional surface boxes, sound proofing etc will be difficult - let alone the legendary road noise of the Defender.
    I Own the Best 4x4s by Far<br><br>Defender TD5 CSW <br>Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE<br>Sprite Tourer SP

Do you have the small ones in the stock positions? Two right above the front seats , ie at your head and then 2 in the corners at the back window.

Thank goodness its right above my head otherwise I wouldn't be able to hear it over the road noise!
    Currently: 2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D/C 4x4
    Previously: 1996 LR Defender 110 V8

No, right now all it has is the two useless ones in the front doors. I saw one the other day with the speakers above the front seats, but had no idea that was 'out of the factory' stuff. I considered doing that, but it looks like a hell of a thing to do.

I suppose mounting them in the centre box would make the most sense, Im guessing they are mounted to face rearwards? or are they facing sideways towards the driver and front passenger?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Sideways and in the slanted area to not lose access space in the box. I thought of mounting it to the rear but the magnet would have taken up to much usable space.
    I Own the Best 4x4s by Far<br><br>Defender TD5 CSW <br>Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE<br>Sprite Tourer SP

Built 2 boxes to fit underneath the rear seat for 6x9's in the 110, they fit perfectly facing towards the front seats also added a amp to make them hearable over the road noise the cooper's provide, next step small tweeters on the dash and that will be it. works like a bomb!
    Live today as if itís your last day to make a change in this world. Cause tomorrow is promised to no one.

Driving the BEST 4x4's

I have 2 small ones above the driver and passenger. I have 2 6x9 in the back in the far corner in the boot.
    Galoppie
    2008 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D
    GME 29Mhz
    Icom v8000 vhf
    Ham Callsign ZR1LJO

1994 Land Rover Defender 200 tdi 110 Station Wagon(sold)
    2013 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 Hi-Rider (sold)
    Echo 3 Trailer (sold)

So far what Ive done is fitted 5,25" mids with the little tweaters in the middle in the front doors, but because the space for a speaker in the door is so narrow when the window is open I built spacers to move the speakers out a bit. This is already a vast improvement. Now Im building boxes for 6" speakers that will fit under the rear seats, but on the outer most area (on the wheel arch) so the seats can still be folded forward.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Default Speakers in rear doors ?

I am currently facing the same problem.

Did anyboddy have sucsess in putting small (5.25"") speakers in the rear doors of a Defender ?

My TD5 has 2 front speakers mounted in the aircon unit, they face the driver's and passengers shins, and two in the rear in the little metal boxes on either side of the rear door. They realy are useless and I have been toying with upgrading them so will watch this thread closely.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8
    www.jeepsaforum.co.za

Exactly my problem ... Which why I am looking at the passenger rear doors. Looks as if there could be enough space but I do not want to cut a hole just to discover it does not work.

Hence the question - did anybody sucsessfuly installed speakers in the 2 rear doors of a 110 ? If so - what size ?

Sound system in a land rover?!?!?! WOW. (lol Series II owner over here....)

Quote Originally Posted by TheoP View Post
    Exactly my problem ... Which why I am looking at the passenger rear doors. Looks as if there could be enough space but I do not want to cut a hole just to discover it does not work.

Hence the question - did anybody sucsessfuly installed speakers in the 2 rear doors of a 110 ? If so - what size ?
    Local company has fitted two speakers in the headliner just behind the passenger's ,they work well.

He wanted to place them at the back corners, it retrospect It probably would have been better, except when the landy is fully loaded they can are hidden.

All in all these together with the two in the aircon mounting work well. Want pictures?
    2000 TD5 110 "The Gecko"
    1982 3.5 RRC "The Project"
    http://sites.google.com/site/projectrangie

Pictures will be great thanks.

How did you fix it to the headliner ? Is there enough depth ?

Was done by Image Audio, I started doing it myself then realized that I was going to make a mess of it :-)
    Excuse the quality took these 5 mins back with the flash..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7029 [640x480].JPG 
Views:	2971 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	68711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7030 [640x480].JPG 
Views:	1676 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	68712  
    2000 TD5 110 "The Gecko"

Default rear speaker pods

Found these on Ebay. They replace the metal plates at the back of the defender to fit 6"x9" speakers.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RDX-BLACK-Rear...QQcmdZViewItem
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My speaker is mounted above the back door with additional air conditioner between them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2810.JPG 
Views:	1454 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	68801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2811.JPG 
Views:	3054 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	68802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2812.JPG 
Views:	5005 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	68803  

Land Rover 110 Td5
    Land Rover 90 Puma
    Series II 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbzie View Post
    Local company has fitted two speakers in the headliner just behind the passenger's ,they work well.

He wanted to place them at the back corners, it retrospect It probably would have been better, except when the landy is fully loaded they can are hidden.

All in all these together with the two in the aircon mounting work well. Want pictures?
    Stubbzie how do you find the standard speakers on teh aircon unit? TonyP already mentioned they are useless.

I plan to install a radio soon, but having a Hardtop 110 I ONLY have the shin ones. Looks like I might need to install some bigger ones, maby along the roof as per your pic, only not that far back. The echo will be horrible, I only have rubberizing with no trim at the rear.
    Sold Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top.
    Crank driven compressor http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42059

Sold: 2000 Discovery2 V8 Auto

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

Quote Originally Posted by O.B. View Post
    Stubbzie how do you find the standard speakers on teh aircon unit? TonyP already mentioned they are useless.

I plan to install a radio soon, but having a Hardtop 110 I ONLY have the shin ones. Looks like I might need to install some bigger ones, maby along the roof as per your pic, only not that far back. The echo will be horrible, I only have rubberizing with no trim at the rear.
    They are fine, except mine are not standard, I have MB quartz speakers and an amp under the back row seats. They are lekker loud and can easly be heard over the Defender noises. Only problem is that to hear properly you would have to turn them up to the degree that you would go deaf, expecially if the back passangers want to hear as well. Since I have put the two in the back and have adjusted the balance to go 60% to the back it's much better. We can all actually listen without having it so loud we can't talk.

Getting it right in a defender is defenitly a challenge, but hey if we wanted easy lives we wouldn't buy Land Rovers
    2000 TD5 110 "The Gecko"

if you dont want to mount boxes to your roof or cut the door panels you can also just replace the standard speakers with small but high quality and high output
    speakers.... only problem is you will pay allot for them and you wont buy them at hi fi corp or autostyle. you will have to go to a specialized sound shop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast