Border Crossing for Livingstone from Botswana. Which way?

Default Border Crossing for Livingstone from Botswana. Which way?

Hi all

What is the best way to enter Zambia for Livingstone coming via Botswana?

Via Kazungula / FERRY / Simonga ... OR.... via Kazungula / ZIMBABWE / Vic Falls ?

Last route obviously two border crossings, first route only one border crossing and ferry though. Where recommended by local staying in Livingstone that the Zimbabwe route is easier and quicker?

Note that we will be crossing on a Sunday.

Regards
    Henry

Interesting question! The only experience I have of the Kazungula land crossing into Zimbabwe (and back) was during December. It was relatively busy (23rd) but we exited the Zimbabwean side after an hour. Crossing back late that afternoon took a total of 20 minutes!

At Victoria Falls we met a Zambian lady and her family who travel this route from Livingstone to Kasane to visit and shop. According to them it's much quicker than the ferry.

The land route involves two border crossings, but the ferry crossing involves not only normal border crossing formalities but also dis/embarking vehicles. Therefore, in your shoes, on a busy day I'd take the land route? ;-)

I personally would always go via the ferry.
    If you need a visa for Zim then that is an extra cost, you'll also have double the amount of paperwork to do with doing 2 borders and double the costs.
    Cars always go to the front of the que for the ferry and now that Botswana has ferries running aswell as Zambia there is not often a long delay.
    Try not to arrive first thing in the morning or late afternoon as these are usually the busiest times.

I have not done many border crossings, but I doubt that there is an easy border crossing into Africa. Only very unpredictable!! If I have to choose, I'll rather do Kazankulu Ferry, just for the fun and experience of doing it. That's what we did last year going to Zambia vai Botswana.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Wink

Kazungula to Zambia if you work with a plan goes quick.
    When you land on the Zambian side the driver takes his car papers and go to the building at the gate to get the TIP and carbon tax.
    The passenger pays the ferry,council levy and road agency tax.
    The passenger must have a copy of the vehicle papers and pay for third party insurance. On a Sunday 30 minutes later you should be on your way to Livinstone. ( My record 15minutes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    ..... I'll rather do Kazankulu Ferry, just for the fun and experience of doing it.....
    Cant agree more! Why miss out on one of the unique border crossings in Southern Africa? One day it will all be gone and you would not have experianced it!!!

What route do I take when tarvelling down to SA and back.....yes you have guessed it ......the ferry! What route did I take when my mom toured Zambia (82 and not scared of malaria) ....the ferry!

JUST DO IT THE FERRY WAY!
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2012/05/22 at 05:55 PM.

The ferry.

Great, thanks all for the opinions and tips !

I have traveled the Zim road twice before on my way to Vic Falls, never the ferry and Zam route, so I guess its an easy decision and no-brainer, specially crossing on a Sunday at mid day ... must just get the rest of the travelling parties to agree.

I see there's a 15min record to beat, will get the wifes to kick out their high heels and put on their running shoes

Just remember to ignore the big trucks, and drive straight to the front of the queue. If you're feeling really intimidated, hire one of the fixers, I know that a lot of people say avoid them, but I've been through scores of African borders, and sometimes it is simply easier to get a local to do the heavy lifting. They don't ask for a fee, just that they get to convert the dollars, and they take the extras above the official exchange rate.

Do the ferry...get an approved runner and pay him when you are happy and finished. It is always an experience.

We are going the comming weekend with 2 bikes should be fun and games doing the crossing.

Marius, would you please post here asap after the crossing. Would like to know how they are handling the new regulation relating to foreign currency.

Yesteday my son flew back to SA from Ndola and they refused to take $ as airport tax. So they might refuse ZAR, Pula Euro & $ at the borders?

Ok cool I will let you know.