SANPARKS - respect our animals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SANPARKS - respect our animals.

Damn Straight.

about time SANPARKS stopped being so 'sorry' about incidents and explained that it's the damn fools in the park that are at fault.

http://www.news24.com/Travel/Guides/...imals-20140121

SANParks: Respect our animals
    2014-01-21 09:56

Cape Town - It's been less than a month since the controversial Kruger National Park killing of an elephant that charged and injured two tourist after they got too close for comfort - and yet another video has emerged of a similar situation with lions.

Two children can be seen hanging out of a car window, less than 3 metres away from two lions. The male lion eventually assumes an attack position and gives off a warning growl.

Watch the lion video here.

SANparks Acting Head of Communications, Reynold Thakhuli said, “Unfortunately if the lion had mauled the children we would have been faced with same situation of having to put the animal down.

“Once these wild animals have human contact and taste human blood we have to put them down.”

Thakhuli said it was disappointing that people chose to “take a grand stand approach to these incidents instead of reporting it to the authorities”.

“Visitors must respect the SANParks rules and respect our animals, which includes remaining in your car at all times and keeping a 50m distance between you and the animals,” Thakhuli said.

“I appeal to our visitors to report these incidents to us instead of posting it to social media.

“Upon entering the park people are given a pamphlet detailing the code of good game viewing. We rely on our visitors to familiarise themselves with these rules and to adhere to them.

“The scourge of rhino poaching has the parks limited resources stretched and we cannot police everybody that comes into the park."

South African law requires SANParks to submit a written statement of an eye-witness account along with video footage in order to prosecute individuals who break the rules.

Visitors who witness an incident are advised to report it to the nearest camp reception or to a park manager at the nearest Kruger entry point, along with the registration details of the car involved.

Incidents can also be reported to the park’s 24hr emergency call centre – 013 735 4325

“We have taken action before to reported incidents with fines between R500 and R5 000 being issued. In some instances we have in fact banned people from coming to the park. But we need people to report the incidents before we can do something,” Thakhuli said

SANParks code of good game viewing:

- Visitors must remain in their vehicles unless in a designated area.

- Remember that no part of the body may protrude from a window or sunroof or any other part of the vehicle.

- Vehicle doors should be closed at all times.

- Keep at least 30 to 50m between you and the animals.

- allow ample space for you and other vehicles to make a quick exit if a situation does arise

- Stick to the speed limit! All general rules of the road apply within the Kruger National Park. The speed limit is 50 km/h on tar roads and 40 km/h on gravel roads.

- You are not allowed to drive “off-road” or on roads with a “no entry” sign.

- The feeding or disturbing of animals is a serious offense.

- A stringent noise restriction is enforced between 21:30 and 06:00. The use of cell phones is permitted only in camps, gates and in cases of emergency.

- The use of roller skates, skateboards, bicycles and motorbikes is prohibited.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2014/01/21 at 10:24 AM.

During our recent trip to the Kruger we saw many people popping out a sunroof to take pictures with ipads at a leopard sighting. leopard not more than 5meters away.
    chance to react when leopard decide to come down the tree and take the sunroof opening?? zero

At a lion sighting people with their heads out sunroofs, sitting on windows, sitting with the Kombi door OPEN. mind you the lions were busy stalking impala and amazing how fast they can blend into surroundings.... thats what they do. people had no chance if lions decided to change targets and leave the impala alone.

the whole week was like this. idiots ignoring rules and regulations.
    Its only funny until someone gets hurt.
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual & Auto
    2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Problem is it just ruins things.

I think it's over the top to go on and on about people driving with their arm out of the window.

I mean, Defenders would then have to banned from SANPARKS...

but it's a different story to hanging half your body out of the window 3m from a lion.

30m space is not always possible, frequently the animals are on the road next to you, and approach.

The bloody Guides in their open top vehicles seem to be worse behaved than the self drive tourists. surprised no one has been injured with one of those.

etc etc.

Sheesh man. you'd think some common sense would prevail...

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

I think it's over the top to go on and on about people driving with their arm out of the window.

eish.... i am guilty of this and i dont even drive a defender.

got these people at a lion sighting, and they also didnt drive a defender
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Its only funny until someone gets hurt.
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual & Auto
    2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE
    2011 Conqueror Companion

SANPARKS management are too lazy to enforce park rules. Easier to shoot an animal than to do their work
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

but it's a different story to hanging half your body out of the window 3m from a lion.

30m space is not always possible, frequently the animals are on the road next to you, and approach.

The bloody Guides in their open top vehicles seem to be worse behaved than the self drive tourists. surprised no one has been injured with one of those.

etc etc.

Sheesh man. you'd think some common sense would prevail...
    This is my exact problem with all the rules and regulations as well. I find it irritating that I'm never allowed to have my elbow hanging out the window (it's not a Defender, but it is a Ford, who is currently still making all LR's ). Clearly I know when it's safe to do so, and when not

I just can't seem to wrap my head around why no-one in Botswana needs rules and regulations to tell them it's daft to walk around outside within a couple of meters off a pride of lions, but in the Kruger you do?

Is it different type of people that goes to the Kruger? Maybe more international tourist who doesn't understand the concept of "wild" animals? Simply more people in general?

The problem SAN PArks have is liability. If an animal has attacked before, and action is not taken, they are worried about liability claims after that. They simply cant afford it.

Imagine if a mamba jumps into someones car, they will have to hunt that mamba down and kill it before it does it again.
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5301&dateline=1335341  324
    JK-2.8,KJ-2.5,JK-3.8,KB-300,GV-V6,KB6

Quote Originally Posted by Hermine View Post
    This is my exact problem with all the rules and regulations as well. I find it irritating that I'm never allowed to have my elbow hanging out the window (it's not a Defender, but it is a Ford, who is currently still making all LR's ). Clearly I know when it's safe to do so, and when not
    Hermine, it is not against the rules to drive with your elbow out the window, or to protrude slightly to take a good picture. That was confirmed by SANParks a while ago.

Just don't let a purist see you else you will be hung and dried on social media without any chance of defense. SANParks is not petty in this instance, they will fine if necessary and are not shy to do so but they are not a bunch of fools either.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond du Plessis View Post
    SANPARKS management are too lazy to enforce park rules. Easier to shoot an animal than to do their work
    Raymond, you want to tell me that you expect SANParks to police every inch of the 3000km game viewing road in Kruger?

Animals get shot because of idiot behavior. If a visitor taunts an animal enough to attack and he finds out that he is stronger than a human or a car, he then becomes a threat and will attack with far less provocation the next time round.

Customization and custom canvas work for any trailer, no matter the model or make.

Catch us on FaceBook!

Ultimate Overland - 4x4 Trailer Sales, Rental and Customization

Well, While I have lots of bad stuff to say about SANPARKS management, there are also plenty of guys on the staff trying to stay on top of the problems.

limited budget, Rhino poaching, corruption, lack of political will to stop the Rhino poaching...

and then also they have to worry about knobheads without out enough brains in their head to keep their kid's faces further than 3m from a wild lion's...

What does confuse me though, is how they are able to identify and kill the problem animal from photos (in the case of the Elephant) yet are unable to use photos to prosecute the morons responsible.

What does confuse me though, is how they are able to identify and kill the problem animal from photos (in the case of the Elephant) yet are unable to use photos to prosecute the morons responsible.
    Apocalypse, the rangers have a very good idea of which animals roam in certain areas, which bulls are dominant in which areas, frequent certain roads and such. They work with them on a daily basis so it's not difficult to deduct which elephant is the guilty party.

SANParks also has a database which they keep with identifying features so after a brief description or photo it is quite simple to pinpoint the guilty one.

In reply to your second point of confusion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse
    South African law requires SANParks to submit a written statement of an eye-witness account along with video footage in order to prosecute individuals who break the rules.

Customization and custom canvas work for any trailer, no matter the model or make.

Catch us on FaceBook!

Thought I'd lighten up the mood with one of my favourite cartoons. Sorry mods.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bryan
    Disco 4 SDV6 S (me)
    Jeep Cherokee CRD (swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyB View Post
    Apocalypse, the rangers have a very good idea of which animals roam in certain areas, which bulls are dominant in which areas, frequent certain roads and such. They work with them on a daily basis so it's not difficult to deduct which elephant is the guilty party.

SANParks also has a database which they keep with identifying features so after a brief description or photo it is quite simple to pinpoint the guilty one.

In reply to your second point of confusion:
    I was being tongue in cheek

just making the point of how unfair it is that the poor animal will be judged, tried and executed from a couple of photos taken or a story from some muppet who is too stupid to stay away from an angry elephant, but that the rules make it so hard to prosecute the same muppet for being a total idiot and effectively ensuring that the animal in question is put down.

While the Bunny huggers scream and point fingers at the Rangers who make the decision to kill an animal, yet say nothing about the muppets in question,

I am still confused as to why the Rangers shot the Elephant and not the toursits

They should do those kids with the lion a favour too and put their parent's out of their stupidity. It will be to the child's benefit in the long run...

Maybe they should start handing out "Free Meal" T-shirts. Perhaps the animals will start to take notice. I'm actually more concerned about vehicles crowding around sightings close to animals and ignoring the safe clearance regulations. With the amount of vehicles bunched together at some sightings carbon monoxide poisoning should be more of a worry than animals.

When we visited the KNP in May last year I had to drive on the verge at a lion sighting to get past all the bunched up vehicles to continue our journey. Some of the folks, a lot of them pensioners, looked like they setting out camp in their vehicles and denying a lot of frustrated folks an opportunity to see the lions.

My last visit in October coincided with an idiot nearly reversing his Prado into the bum of an elephant on his side of the road because he couldn't see past a safari vehicle to watch the ellies on that side of the road. In the process he also blocked off the entire road preventing any escape should anything have gone wrong. Luckily the ellies were in a good mood and relaxed and I was keeping my distance.

What these morons dont understand is that Male lions are programmed to kill young things. The first thing a male lion does after taking over a pride is kill any cubs that any of the females might have. It is programmed into their DNA. Try take some kids into the Lion Park and let them jump around near the window. I have seen lions attack the car where the kids were sitting.
    Jeep, there is only one.

I was being tongue in cheek

Catch us on FaceBook!

my heart agrees, my head knows better ....

At Kgalagadi there is stunning displays at the TweeRivieren and Nossob. It tells of the types of animals, and of the conservation principles.

amongst others - it explains the role of dead wood in the cological system - the rotting wood feeds insect, that feed others and and ... It then askes that GUESTS please dont desturb the eco system by picking up dead wood in the park.

every night you see new pieces of dead wood on roof racks ..... those same people put out food for animals to get better photo opportunities ....

SAD how well educated upper class people simple believe rules DONT apply to them.

Then expect park staff to pick up where their mommy left of - "Behave or I will tell your father..."

As for distance from a lion - At Dikbaardskolk we pulled in and stopped, to find 5 lions in the shade, one a mere 2m from my (closed) window. REGULAR occurance at this place ! On the day nobody opened their windows more than what was needed to get the lens out the car ...

Someone on the forum posted the link to this letter, the best written piece I have seen on the killing of the elephant. I wish I had written it.

http://m.news24.com/news24/MyNews24/...ttack-20140117

Quote Originally Posted by Durbsviking View Post
    Someone on the forum posted the link to this letter, the best written piece I have seen on the killing of the elephant. I wish I had written it.

http://m.news24.com/news24/MyNews24/...ttack-20140117
    x10

Clifford
    ORRA X275
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7l
    Powerbrake AT upgrade.
    Refurbished rims by Mag Workshop
    Grabber ATs
    Front bumper and bash plate by Maniac
    EFS Suspension lift also by Maniac

Respect to the author excellent piece and a balanced view
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

I warned a while back about not leaving windows open near predators, particularly in the case of small children, I eventually found the post I was looking for.

Admittedly, this rarely happens but you never know.

This happened in 1998, ten years ago, so the photos are poor scans of pics, but are posted for documentation purposes. Excuses, excuses....

Our stay at Nossob had come to an end, so we left early that morning en route to TR. We took the dune road, hoping to find some snakes along the way. At Munro waterhole we came upon a couple of parked cars, so we stopped to investigate. There, hidden behind some low lying bushes was a cat of some sort. A cheetah, we presumed, as "leopards are elusive, and you rarely, if ever, see one!"....or so the fable went.

Binoculars in hand, we discerned it was in fact a LEOPARD! The very first one we'd ever seen in the wild, so we were extremely excited. It just laid there, occasionally raising its head, in a lion-at-midday impersonation. Z-Z-Z-z-z-z-...

After quite a while of doing nothing, it seemed to be interested in something, raising its head, then slowly rising to its feet, eyes transfixed on something, we-knew-not-what.

Cool! It began stalking an unseen prey beyond the two cars in front of us, or so we thought. I looked to the left, but could see no antelopes or larger game, concluding maybe there was a ground squirrel or something small I couldn't see on the other side of the cars. It moved o-o-o-h so-o-o-o sl-o-o-o-w-l-y. Focused, totally concentrating, eyes locked in on its intended target. We kept looking around to see what had piqued its interest

"Ed, can you see what it's stalking?!!?"
    "Yeah, the baby in the back seat of that car!"
    "WHAT"
    "They better roll up their windows, NOW!!"
    "Oh my....please, please roll up the window!"

At the last moment, the young couple must have finally realized that THEY were the target of the hungry leopard, or more probably, their small child (in either a car seat or a carrying tote) in the back seat. They frantically closed the window....and the leopard sprung, landing with its paws against the glass!

It jumped at the window several times, clawing and scratching, trying desperately to get inside. It then walked around and attacked the other side window, again unsuccessfully.

It then began biting the hood emblem and searching underneath the car for a way in, very methodically. Our hearts were pounding and a few expletives were muttered, but mostly great sighs of relief that the child was safe. The couple ,(German we later learned) decided it was too close for comfort, so they started the car and moved away.

The leopard paused, and regrouped...PLAN B.

It now turned its attention on the second car, though there were no children in it that we could see. It sniffed every inch, bumper to bumper, peered in the window...

...and decided to climb onto the hood.

This must have frightened these people enough, as they, too, decided it was time to leave (or perhaps they just needed a clean pair of underwear...ahem).

As we were the only car remaining, it was our turn to be the plate du jour. We were in a 4x4, and the others in Sedans, so we were chosen last as the least vulnerable. Considering a leopard's climbing abilities as well as its weight, we did not want it landing on our windshield and breaking the glass, so we decided it best to leave as well. While I didn't mind video taping the movie, I had no desire to star in it!

Wide-eyed and hearts racing, we left the poor soul sitting forlorn in the middle of the road, hoping no one else would come upon this scene unaware of what had just transpired, and be caught off guard by this aggressive and desperate leopard.

Upon reaching TR, we told of our encounter at reception and were asked to show the video (no digital for me in those days) to the ranger. He said the leopard looked sickly, perhaps had rabies, and they would go dart the animal and perhaps it would need to be euthanized. I would love to hear from the others who were there, or the ranger if he's still around, as to the rest of the story....

Oh yes, we took the time while at reception to cancel our NIGHT TIME GAME DRIVE IN AN OPEN VEHICLE ! Yes, call me a scaredy cat!
    Link
    Last edited by JennyB; 2014/01/21 at 10:42 PM.

Catch us on FaceBook!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast