Buffelspoort in September. - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default buffelspoort

howzit guys,if there is a cancellation i am looking for 2 spots,both mazda d/c with familys.
    halfjob
    roy mcgregor
    i only work to support my hobbies!!! 2006 mazda d/c sac intercooled, optimised, 31' bfg's

Roy I have sent you a PM.

Busy packing for our Buffelspoort trip tommorow. Nerves are starting to kick in Anyone want to loan me some big takkies? (Spike?)

Ja. Been thinking about you guys.
    Just as well I cancelled when I did because I'm working this weekend.

Enjoy it.

Hope you have bashplates and a wetsuit
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post

Hope you have bashplates and a wetsuit
    Recovery points on
    Dif breather (one) on
    Bashplate being fitted on the way out tommorow at R&D (Hope so anyway as its being flown from JHB tonight)

Waders and diving mask packed

toilet paper in ziplock bag next to driver seat - check
    Knopkierie to stop wife screeming - check

Morne I packed all my stuff in black bags. Everything. A bakkie load of black bags. Didn't bother with normal packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    Busy packing for our Buffelspoort trip tommorow. Nerves are starting to kick in Anyone want to loan me some big takkies? (Spike?)
    morne cool you are going as well, i have a few lifejackets spare if you need!!
    see you tomorrow
    halfjob
    i only work to support my hobbies!!! 2006 mazda d/c sac intercooled, optimised, 31' bfg's

If the tide is in your packing systems are going to get flooded.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    If the tide is in your packing systems are going to get flooded.
    ha just finished packing the beers in a waterproof fridge
    what vehicle do you drive morne'??

Sorry Morne, I didn't realise your wife was reading the thread. There's no water. Everything is dry

ok i leave in 15 mins can i post a secondhand d/c well looked after never been offroad for sale to highest bidder
    will post report on sun/mon if i get back

Quote Originally Posted by halfjob View Post
    ok i leave in 15 mins can i post a secondhand d/c well looked after never been offroad for sale to highest bidder
    will post report on sun/mon if i get back
    Only if it has only been driven by a old lady (ou vrou met 'n nat broek )
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Well were back. Was an awsome trip. Made it through with only a broken mudflap. I realy need to do a suspension lift and I think this trip convinced the misus to hook out the money.

Thanks to all the guys that went with and guided my "platkar" through all the tricky rocky sections. I had so many bangs underneath that I just started to ignore them.

Made it through all the water section, but realy ### myself when the water hit the windscreen there at the end.

Will post some more pictures later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buffelspoort Sept07 009.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	8584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buffelspoort Sept07 021.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	8585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buffelspoort Sept07 035.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	8586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buffelspoort Sept07 082.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	8587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buffelspoort Sept07 084.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	8588  

Default buffelskloof trip report

hoesit all,well we are back in one piece all i can say is WHAT AN AWSOME TRIP8) and we had a great bunch of people as well.
    we headed off to the engen one stop on friday 11.30 where we met up with most of the guys,a quick intro and howzit to all, got our convoy positions and we were on our way. we stopped at touws rivier to refuel and headed off to our first overnight via the backroads. geoff took us through a reserve(or 2) and also gave us some interesting facts about the area,anyway we got to camp at around 6:15pm and set up for the night.we also met a couple of others and morne' who had made their own way there.with the pitching of tents out of the way we got down to the seeeriaaas business of calming our nerves with a few (too many) relaxants of the bottled type well needless to say all the "fogies" buggered off to bed and we were left with geoff,rob,roy,myself and the fire. geoff had been so kind as to give each vehicle a bottle of the hooligan juice called amarula, and man oh man was it lekker rob was in fine form and geoff was known as "chairs" for the rest of the evening after being a fine fellow and going to dump a couple of empties, and in the process managed to fall over some chairs. dunno if it was an eyesight problem or what, but he went seriously arse over kettle. we finished up at 12:15am with lots of courage for what was to follow.

most of us were up at the proverbial sparrows f*rt and were packed and ready well before the 9:15 briefing.geoff reckons that people who are ####ing themselves will always be ready long before the time.
    we headed off in convoy to the start our epic adventure which was all of 50m away from the campsite,we had a problem with morne's colt in the first 500m or so with it hanging up on a rock and ripping off his left front mudflap,a quick stop to remove his flaps and spare wheel and we were on our way again. rocks rocks and more rocks were the order of the day accompanied by the obligitory rock and roll and the odd swear word which escaped my tightly clenched teeth and lips when my undercarriage happened to fight with the odd stubborn rock....my kids heard a few choice ones for which i was severely reprimanded by all in the trok. we reached the fork and stopped for a quick smoke break and checked out how high the water was during the laingsberg floods. next up was the washing machine which was on the blink cause i came out dirtier than when i went in....refund due next time round. after this was the dogs leg which was the first of the deeper water crossings,this was negotiated without mishap apart from a few(just about all)cruisers with water on their distributors and plug leads, this was to become a routine at every water crossing,cruisers parked with bonnets up and heads inside.
    supper stop... the tale will continue shortly
    ok i'm back,forgot to add that just before the car wash i went through a small little off camber dip where the bakkie was balancing on two wheels....lots of screaming all round
    after dogs leg i lost count and track of how many crossings and rocks and reeds and things we went through!! there were a number of fairly deep crossings but the only place where a lot of okes got stuck was in a mud hole which had got worse and worse as the guys tried to make it through.there was much betting and laughter as the guys tried not to get stuck,roy and i were the only ones in mazdas and roy cruised through to keep our zoom zoom flag flying high.i managed to get a fair way through but in the heat of the moment i forgot to engage my diff lock otherwise i am sure i would have made it. hitting the solid wall of mud also managed to snap off my lower half of my bullbar at the weld
    anyway the rest was cool and the last crossing was awsome,nice and deep as corne's pic shows roy going through with the wrong line, but being a mazda it was a breeze even without a snorkel
    will post somemore pics tomorrow,now i am going to bed to dream about going again sometime
    cheers
    mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by halfjob; 2007/09/09 at 09:46 PM. Reason: continue trip report

Impressive bow wave in that one pic

Thanks to Geof and Rudy for guiding. Great to meet you all. What a brilliant trip! That last 200m, Eish.

I must say those two ZOOM ZOOM bakkies impressed us all the time, JB and myself were on the radio often asking if they are ok, no problem with them was the answer
    well done guys
    2002 LC HDJ 100 VX
    stuck for now in France,
    La Mothe Achard

How deep were the other wet bits this time round?
    I found that long zigzag section more scary than the last bit.

But shoo....that bow wave photo looks scary

Spike, that bow wave was the last little bit close to Rudy's house, Oom Louis said it was a little to high compared to the last time you guy's went, but all went through,

the previous bits were less water than before but the dog leg was still deep enough to wet my diff
    2002 LC HDJ 100 VX
    stuck for now in France,
    La Mothe Achard

Jeah, that last bit was scary. When my wipers disipeard under the water I got worried a bit.

thnks Robert for guiding me through the rocky bits. I must say that truck of your looks impressive in the rear mirror when you just drive over some big rocks instead of going around it8)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast