Faulty new Monroe Reflex D8017 shocks? How does yours ride?

Default Faulty new Monroe Reflex D8017 shocks? How does yours ride?

I have just replaced my front shocks with Monroe Reflex D8017.

The problem I had was bouncy ride, and bottoming over speed bumps even at very slow speeds.

New shocks are much better. Did come with all the attachments. But I still feel they may also be faulty already!!

Drove 2000km in the last week, 50% highway, the rest dirt roads and 50km of 4x4 roads.

I found the shocks very car like, soft on the open road. But as soon as I find a good bump, rock, pothole, ridge, etc then the shocks bottom out!!

Can this be the design?

Are the Monroe Reflex for city drivers who never see any off road

Also, when driving very slowly over large boulders, the soft shock move / sag a lot more than I would like, and reduce ground clearance going over each bump. This is not great for off roading...

Would love to hear comments from others. Is this a faulty set of shocks, or should I rather buy the stiffer bilstiens?
    ML270 cdi (W163 first facelift 2000 model).
    C180 (94 model) - batted and bruised but trusty steed is still going strong.
    BMW F650GS Dakar - for sale...

John my ML use to feel to soft as well but since I did the torsion bars and lifted the nose that 3cm it feels much better even gogga (who drives it everyday says there's a noticeable diffidence.
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Bedinges View Post
    John my ML use to feel to soft as well but since I did the torsion bars and lifted the nose that 3cm it feels much better even gogga (who drives it everyday says there's a noticeable diffidence.
    Agree, I think you need to look at your torsion bars. Remember that the shock does not give a constant reactive force(like coil springs or torsion bars) but it only acts as a damper on the rate of change of longitudinal displacement(ds/dt highschool physics). Make sure that you car still has the anti-roll bar fitted as well. It may have been taken off.

Why didnt you get the original bilsteins refurbished or OEM replacements from imcomex, in my opinion the bilstein is a better quality shock.
    --Kar

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Bedinges View Post
    Interesting, thank you.

I went back to Autowiel today actually (where I bought tyres last week Thurs). They took the car for a drive, and hit a few speed bumps, and concluded that the shocks are fine, but the car is soft, and seems to have too little travel before it bottoms out.

Decided to try jack up the torsion bars, and test again.

We were only able to jack up the torsion bars about 15mm from where they were set, then the setting was as max! They said this is another sign that the torsion bars are getting tired / soft, because when jacked to max setting, the torsion bars should be a few centimeters higher than "level", but they were now just a few mm higher than level.

I then went to Ultimate 4x4 and 4x4 Megaworld, and made a few phone calls to try to find stronger than OEM torsion bars. Dead end! Everyone says that no company makes torsion bars for the ML.

Called Merc, R2900 each, so R5800 for both torsion bars, and will still have to fit them and do wheel alignment again.

So for now I have left the torsion bars on max, and had the wheel alignment done again by Autowiel. The ride is still soft, but does not bottom as easy now (has more travel before it bottoms). I think this ride is acceptable for now, but I will monitor it closely.

One thing I would like to try is to turn the current torsion bars up one spline (to allow for more adjustment). Can anyone refer me to someone that has done this on an ML before? tks

Quote Originally Posted by Ne3M View Post
    Agree, I think you need to look at your torsion bars. Remember that the shock does not give a constant reactive force(like coil springs or torsion bars) but it only acts as a damper on the rate of change of longitudinal displacement(ds/dt highschool physics).

Quote Originally Posted by Ne3M View Post
    Why didnt you get the original bilsteins refurbished or OEM replacements from imcomex, in my opinion the bilstein is a better quality shock.
    From my research online and on forums the Monore Reflex seem to be far more liked that the Bilsteins. Too many bad reports on the forums from guys that tried the Bilsteins, and they failed prematurely, and they went back to OEM Sacks, or to Monroe's.

Where can I get the OEM shocks refurbished?
    Where can I get a price on Bilsteins (tried a few places but was told they have to be imported, 4 weeks waiting, very expensive, etc)?

tks

John on the torsion bars send Chris B a PM he will be able to give u more info.
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGore View Post
    From my research online and on forums the Monore Reflex seem to be far more liked that the Bilsteins. Too many bad reports on the forums from guys that tried the Bilsteins, and they failed prematurely, and they went back to OEM Sacks, or to Monroe's.

Where can I get the OEM shocks refurbished?
    Where can I get a price on Bilsteins (tried a few places but was told they have to be imported, 4 weeks waiting, very expensive, etc)?

tks
    Thank you very much for your Email and your interest in our products.

Please be informed that I have forwarded your Email to our sales partner in South Africa, Imcomex in Pretoria

Contact person is Margaret Ferreira, Email: [email protected]
    I am sure she will contact you asap.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me

Thank you very much

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Jessica Wacker
    Vertrieb Innendienst BU-AM

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein Tuning GmbH
    Milsper Straße 214
    58256 Ennepetal
    Germany

Phone: +49 2333 791-4899