How many spare wheels for Zambia trip?

Default How many spare wheels for Zambia trip?

One or two spare wheels for doing a 3 week trip in Zambia?? What is your feelings?

The route we will be following is Livingstone, Kafue, SLNP and the Kariba. All three vehicles will be on new BF Goodrich all terrain and mudd terrain tyres. Two of the vehicles have the same wheels. One is pulling a trailor.

Previously trips doing Namibia I tend to carry two spare wheels, due to sharp shale like gravel roads, and possibility of cuts high. Botswana I normally only go with one spare wheel, mainly sand, and extra repair kit and inside tube normally enough for thorns etc.

Opinions??

Regards
    Henry

I once picked up a nasty sidewall cut and had to waste a full day driving back to Chipata to buy a new tyre. Since then I have a dual tyre carrier but have never needed to replace a badly cut tyre. I always travel on my own so I need to be safe.

You on the other hand will be in a group thus no need to carry extra tyres if all your tyres are the same. Make sure the trailer has an extra spare.

Keep in mind that odd size tyres are not readily available in Zambia and if you find one its going to cost you an arm and a leg.
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2012/05/14 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks Bertie, you confirmed my feeling about this.

At least I've got some one else to blame as well now if I get stuck with out more spare wheels

If you've got 3 vehicles, 2 with the same wheels and one with a trailer, then one spare wheel per vehicle and trailer....and one additional tyre (only) which will fit the 2 similar vehicles and the trailer. Plus an additional tyre for the vehicle with the odd tyres.

Four spare wheels and 2 additional spare tyres is plenty. Zambia isn't particularly hard on tyres....it just doesn't have a great choice of tyres to buy.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd