Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 161

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    241
    Thanked: 0

    Default Arctic trucks in sa!!!

    Good news at last!!!

    As reported in the June 2012 issue of Leisure Wheels (pages 22 to 25), Arctic Trucks are now available as an aftermarket conversion for Toyotas (Hilux, Prado, LC200, LC76, LC79); Nissans (Navara, Pathfinder & Patrol) and Isuzu KB!!

    They are also talking about an Amarok AT35 kit being available soon! actually, the image on the top right of page 25 shows a single cab Amarok being given the treatment...

    The main kit they will sell is the AT35 - a 35" wheel conversion with all the associated bits. There is no mention of whether diff-ratios are changed, or how the conversions will affect warranty. I suspect that they will change the ratios to avoid undue strain on the drive-train. However, they have been involved directly with Toyota SA equipping vehicles for operations in Antarctica and apparently Toyota still provides support to the modified vehicles.

    While this is not cheap at R150k, considering that they effectively give you a "factory" conversion with some very significant structural and component upgrades, the increased capability and technical backup make the price worthwhile. Trying to do the same independantly may result in a similar look, but reliability will probably be an issue, so the price includes a certain amount of peace of mind.

    Oh, and talk about good looking! Eish... No they just need to make an AT35 kit for the New Ranger

    check out www.arctictrucks.co.za for more info!
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) 2.7HO CRD - Sadly sold
    2012 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8T S-Tronic - Platkar

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    58
    Posts
    16,457
    Thanked: 2348

    Default Arctic trucks in SA!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Megagustodon View Post
    Good news at last!!!

    As reported in the June 2012 issue of Leisure Wheels (pages 22 to 25), Arctic Trucks are now available as an aftermarket conversion for Toyotas (Hilux, Prado, LC200, LC76, LC79); Nissans (Navara, Pathfinder & Patrol) and Isuzu KB!!

    They are also talking about an Amarok AT35 kit being available soon! actually, the image on the top right of page 25 shows a single cab Amarok being given the treatment...

    The main kit they will sell is the AT35 - a 35" wheel conversion with all the associated bits. There is no mention of whether diff-ratios are changed, or how the conversions will affect warranty. I suspect that they will change the ratios to avoid undue strain on the drive-train. However, they have been involved directly with Toyota SA equipping vehicles for operations in Antarctica and apparently Toyota still provides support to the modified vehicles.

    While this is not cheap at R150k, considering that they effectively give you a "factory" conversion with some very significant structural and component upgrades, the increased capability and technical backup make the price worthwhile. Trying to do the same independantly may result in a similar look, but reliability will probably be an issue, so the price includes a certain amount of peace of mind.

    Oh, and talk about good looking! Eish... No they just need to make an AT35 kit for the New Ranger

    check out www.arctictrucks.co.za for more info!
    ? - gonna sell like hotcakes - Not!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    241
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Fair comment Manny But I can see there being a lot of these parked on pavements all over the country
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) 2.7HO CRD - Sadly sold
    2012 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8T S-Tronic - Platkar

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    False Bay, Cape Town /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
    Age
    50
    Posts
    500
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    The AT35 will give you much grater ground clearance
    I hope their workshop's attention to detail is better than their proofreader's!!
    ZS1ZW

    Every day is a school day!
    I have taken a vow of poverty............To annoy me, send me money.
    If you cannot fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria Oos - Garsfontein
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,977
    Thanked: 154

    Default

    That conversion gives the appliance just enough height so you can put a clothes line up and your laundry won't hang on the ground - NICE!!!
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,878
    Thanked: 4378

    Default

    Let's see.

    Toyota hilux twin cab V6 auto R460k
    Artic conversion - 35" tyres and kit R150k

    That's R610k

    Less than a range rover evoque. Definitley an option...

    On the other hand, if you want a real 4x4 - a rubicon with 35" tyres, upgraded bumpers and a 3 or 4" lift kit is still less than a standard twincab...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    66
    Posts
    90
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Let's see.

    Toyota hilux twin cab V6 auto R460k
    Artic conversion - 35" tyres and kit R150k

    That's R610k

    Less than a range rover evoque. Definitley an option...

    On the other hand, if you want a real 4x4 - a rubicon with 35" tyres, upgraded bumpers and a 3 or 4" lift kit is still less than a standard twincab...
    Hi Apocalypse,

    Now we're talking serious stuff, that won't cost and arm and a leg, but that can be usefully used in our bush environment !

    Who wants an Artic conversion for bush/sand/mud work ?

    Dave

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kimberley
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,882
    Thanked: 22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Let's see.

    Toyota hilux twin cab V6 auto R460k
    Artic conversion - 35" tyres and kit R150k

    That's R610k

    Less than a range rover evoque. Definitley an option...

    On the other hand, if you want a real 4x4 - a rubicon with 35" tyres, upgraded bumpers and a 3 or 4" lift kit is still less than a standard twintub...
    Phixed8)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,220
    Thanked: 49

    Default

    The article in Leisure Wheels from last year.
    In this article the said +-R70k. Less than half the R150k you mentioned.
    My understanding was that you would be able to go to your local Toyota dealer and order a new Hilux with the AT35 package without any warranty issues
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Conqueror Companion

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    35
    Posts
    277
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    I saw one on the N1 South the other day. Looks pretty cool...

    I'll post some picks as soon as I can get them of my phone.

    13 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland (ridiculously capable) mall crawler 2.0
    (ex) 09 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland - mall crawler
    (ex)
    '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited - small mods


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pretoria East
    Age
    35
    Posts
    277
    Thanked: 21

    Default

    Sorry for the poor quality, obviously a cellphone pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

    13 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland (ridiculously capable) mall crawler 2.0
    (ex) 09 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland - mall crawler
    (ex)
    '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited - small mods


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    241
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Apoc, since when have you been an advocate of the sensible approach?! That being said, it is a huge amount of money to spend on a vehicle - modified or otherwise. In terms of the cost, it is typical of the reporters to get everyones hopes up before a launch and then let reality bite.

    I still think that they are awesome conversions done very, very well...

    And they're Tried and tested as it were. The Arctic Trucks guys have been building these vehicles for years, and not just for the recreation fraternity. The conversions are routinely used for Search and Rescue, scientific expeditions and military teams - hardly the sort of users that will allow a "blou-draad and inner-tube" type of conversion.
    Having recently been in the Arctic Circle, I can say with absolute confidence that Africa is not the only place that has tough conditions. This wasn't easy to admit considering most of my work is in Central and West Africa where roads are barely even an optional extra just to get to site and back, never mind what is considered "off-road".

    All in all, I would absolutely love an AT35 T6 Ranger or 3.0 V6 TDi Amarok (if such a thing existed), the same way I would love a Ford F150 Raptor - would I pay the full price to get one? I'm not so sure...
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) 2.7HO CRD - Sadly sold
    2012 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8T S-Tronic - Platkar

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    975
    Thanked: 17

    Default

    There's an Artic Fortuner cruising around Somerset West.

    It's very nice. Consider that high praise from a Land Rover driver.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Glentana
    Age
    48
    Posts
    298
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eben View Post
    There's an Artic Fortuner cruising around Somerset West.

    It's very nice. Consider that high praise from a Land Rover driver.
    Eben that must be an impostor. There is no Arctic Fortuner in SA yet.
    Variety is the spice of life!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    975
    Thanked: 17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider View Post
    Eben that must be an impostor. There is no Arctic Fortuner in SA yet.
    I just put a little point and shoot in the LR's cubby box so I can get a pic next time I see it. If it's not an AT, then it's a very smart coversion.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider View Post
    Eben that must be an impostor. There is no Arctic Fortuner in SA yet.
    Trailrider, TJM Pretoria East have posted many articles on Arctic Trucks. I saw a Leisurewheels mag which had Ranger T6, Hilux, Amarok, Merc G63, Defender 90 and a Landcruiser 100 D/C. Check this out at http://www.tjmsa.co.za/arctic-trucks-equipped-by-tjm/

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Glentana
    Age
    48
    Posts
    298
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megagustodon View Post

    All in all, I would absolutely love an AT35 T6 Ranger or 3.0 V6 TDi Amarok (if such a thing existed)
    I have good news!

    When I was there yesterday I saw the very first Arctic Amarok in the world being built - right here in SA. 8) Kinda makes one proud.

    It's all under wraps but I managed to get a few quick snaps while I was there. Sorry for the quality of the pics it was just quick snaps.



    Look at how small that standard wheel looks now!





    The Arctic Ranger is also coming - soon! I'll keep you posted.
    Variety is the spice of life!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    241
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider View Post
    I have good news!

    When I was there yesterday I saw the very first Arctic Amarok in the world being built - right here in SA. 8) Kinda makes one proud.

    It's all under wraps but I managed to get a few quick snaps while I was there. Sorry for the quality of the pics it was just quick snaps.



    Look at how small that standard wheel looks now!





    The Arctic Ranger is also coming - soon! I'll keep you posted.
    Fantastic news!!! thanks for the awesome update now to start saving for an AT35 Ranger.... YAY!
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) 2.7HO CRD - Sadly sold
    2012 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8T S-Tronic - Platkar

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Glentana
    Age
    48
    Posts
    298
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Some more of the Hilux comparison pics for your viewing pleasure:



    Variety is the spice of life!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Live : Bethal , Work : Saudi
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,274
    Thanked: 279

    Default

    Wonder if the Defenders will be done here in S.A like these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2907603811_da00e9a7a8.jpg 
Views:	2561 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	146385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x4-trucks-iceland-land-rovers.jpg 
Views:	1552 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	146386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x4-trucks-iceland-land-rover-44.jpg 
Views:	2858 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	146387  
    One life Live it

    Take The Roads less traveled

    Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Are Foton trucks any good?
    By StevenDB in forum Vehicle & Technical Chat - General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2012/02/21, 11:19 AM
  2. Arctic Trucks build desert monster
    By W3771M in forum Toyota
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011/12/19, 07:38 PM
  3. Arctic Trucks Hilux AT38 Nudgebar
    By SimonB in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2010/09/30, 08:23 PM
  4. Arctic Trucks - Toyota Hilux
    By TNF in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2010/08/24, 06:28 PM
  5. Arctic Trucks
    By OFFROAD ADDICT in forum Nissan
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2008/02/18, 12:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •