Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Arctic trucks in sa!!!

Good news at last!!!

As reported in the June 2012 issue of Leisure Wheels (pages 22 to 25), Arctic Trucks are now available as an aftermarket conversion for Toyotas (Hilux, Prado, LC200, LC76, LC79); Nissans (Navara, Pathfinder & Patrol) and Isuzu KB!!

They are also talking about an Amarok AT35 kit being available soon! actually, the image on the top right of page 25 shows a single cab Amarok being given the treatment...

The main kit they will sell is the AT35 - a 35" wheel conversion with all the associated bits. There is no mention of whether diff-ratios are changed, or how the conversions will affect warranty. I suspect that they will change the ratios to avoid undue strain on the drive-train. However, they have been involved directly with Toyota SA equipping vehicles for operations in Antarctica and apparently Toyota still provides support to the modified vehicles.

While this is not cheap at R150k, considering that they effectively give you a "factory" conversion with some very significant structural and component upgrades, the increased capability and technical backup make the price worthwhile. Trying to do the same independantly may result in a similar look, but reliability will probably be an issue, so the price includes a certain amount of peace of mind.

Oh, and talk about good looking! Eish... No they just need to make an AT35 kit for the New Ranger

check out www.arctictrucks.co.za for more info!
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) 2.7HO CRD - Sadly sold
    2012 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8T S-Tronic - Platkar

Default Arctic trucks in SA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megagustodon View Post
    Good news at last!!!

As reported in the June 2012 issue of Leisure Wheels (pages 22 to 25), Arctic Trucks are now available as an aftermarket conversion for Toyotas (Hilux, Prado, LC200, LC76, LC79); Nissans (Navara, Pathfinder & Patrol) and Isuzu KB!!

They are also talking about an Amarok AT35 kit being available soon! actually, the image on the top right of page 25 shows a single cab Amarok being given the treatment...

The main kit they will sell is the AT35 - a 35" wheel conversion with all the associated bits. There is no mention of whether diff-ratios are changed, or how the conversions will affect warranty. I suspect that they will change the ratios to avoid undue strain on the drive-train. However, they have been involved directly with Toyota SA equipping vehicles for operations in Antarctica and apparently Toyota still provides support to the modified vehicles.

While this is not cheap at R150k, considering that they effectively give you a "factory" conversion with some very significant structural and component upgrades, the increased capability and technical backup make the price worthwhile. Trying to do the same independantly may result in a similar look, but reliability will probably be an issue, so the price includes a certain amount of peace of mind.

Oh, and talk about good looking! Eish... No they just need to make an AT35 kit for the New Ranger

check out www.arctictrucks.co.za for more info!
    ? - gonna sell like hotcakes - Not!!!

Fair comment Manny But I can see there being a lot of these parked on pavements all over the country

The AT35 will give you much grater ground clearance
    I hope their workshop's attention to detail is better than their proofreader's!!
    ZS1ZW

Every day is a school day!
    I have taken a vow of poverty............To annoy me, send me money.
    If you cannot fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

That conversion gives the appliance just enough height so you can put a clothes line up and your laundry won't hang on the ground - NICE!!!
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Let's see.

Toyota hilux twin cab V6 auto R460k
    Artic conversion - 35" tyres and kit R150k

That's R610k

Less than a range rover evoque. Definitley an option...

On the other hand, if you want a real 4x4 - a rubicon with 35" tyres, upgraded bumpers and a 3 or 4" lift kit is still less than a standard twincab...

The article in Leisure Wheels from last year.
    In this article the said +-R70k. Less than half the R150k you mentioned.
    My understanding was that you would be able to go to your local Toyota dealer and order a new Hilux with the AT35 package without any warranty issues
    Willem Louw
    Toyota Hilux D/C 3.0 D-4D 4x4, Full OME suspension, African Outback Alu-Top, Dual Battery, DIY Drawer System, National Luna 50L
    Conqueror Companion

I saw one on the N1 South the other day. Looks pretty cool...

I'll post some picks as soon as I can get them of my phone.

13 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland (ridiculously capable) mall crawler 2.0
    (ex) 09 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland - mall crawler
    (ex)
    '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited - small mods

Sorry for the poor quality, obviously a cellphone pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland (ridiculously capable) mall crawler 2.0
    (ex) 09 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Overland - mall crawler
    (ex)
    '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited - small mods

Apoc, since when have you been an advocate of the sensible approach?! That being said, it is a huge amount of money to spend on a vehicle - modified or otherwise. In terms of the cost, it is typical of the reporters to get everyones hopes up before a launch and then let reality bite.

I still think that they are awesome conversions done very, very well...

And they're Tried and tested as it were. The Arctic Trucks guys have been building these vehicles for years, and not just for the recreation fraternity. The conversions are routinely used for Search and Rescue, scientific expeditions and military teams - hardly the sort of users that will allow a "blou-draad and inner-tube" type of conversion.
    Having recently been in the Arctic Circle, I can say with absolute confidence that Africa is not the only place that has tough conditions. This wasn't easy to admit considering most of my work is in Central and West Africa where roads are barely even an optional extra just to get to site and back, never mind what is considered "off-road".

All in all, I would absolutely love an AT35 T6 Ranger or 3.0 V6 TDi Amarok (if such a thing existed), the same way I would love a Ford F150 Raptor - would I pay the full price to get one? I'm not so sure...

There's an Artic Fortuner cruising around Somerset West.

It's very nice. Consider that high praise from a Land Rover driver.

Eduan Erasmus-Since 1980- 2016 Merc B200 Cdi2012 Scott Aspect 30 2012 Silverback Roadie

Quote Originally Posted by NetEddy View Post
    Bloody good looking vehicle that!!! Just out of interest, what do you reckon he traded it in for?

Considering that the closest standard vehicle is R369,950 with an extra 14000km on the clock, you're effectively paying R90,000 for the pleasure of the AT35 conversion.

How much did an auto 3.0 4x4 hilux DC cost back in 2010? Doesn't seem like it lost too much on the resale either...
    Last edited by Megagustodon; 2012/05/15 at 03:07 PM.

I'm Not a Toyota fan but damm that Hilux looks good.
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Sound mighty expensive. In 2010 the fender flares sold for 775 euros for a Patrol. someone has got a massive markup, hopefully they are changing changing diffs, massive suspension upgrades etc

I did a comparison of the Hilux and Arctic Hilux yesterday (I'm a motor Journo). Having the standard and Arctic versions stand next to each other is a cruel comparison to say the least.

When I picked up the new Hilux could could not help to think that it's a good looking bakkie, but after parking it next to this monster it seemed, uhm, rather bland.

froggie to answer your question, yes, it's a LOT more than flares. These vehicles are build to do service for the UN, NATO and in the Arctic Circles. The changes are all practical well researched stuff to change the vehicle into a very capable 4x4 workhorse. Suspensions are upgraded, speedos re calibrated etc. It's also worth to mention that you do not loose the warrantee on your vehicle when you do this conversion.
    Variety is the spice of life!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider View Post
    I did a comparison of the Hilux and Arctic Hilux yesterday (I'm a motor Journo). Having the standard and Arctic versions stand next to each other is a cruel comparison to say the least.

When I picked up the new Hilux could could not help to think that it's a good looking bakkie, but after parking it next to this monster it seemed, uhm, rather bland.

froggie to answer your question, yes, it's a LOT more than flares. These vehicles are build to do service for the UN, NATO and in the Arctic Circles. The changes are all practical well researched stuff to change the vehicle into a very capable 4x4 workhorse. Suspensions are upgraded, speedos re calibrated etc. It's also worth to mention that you do not loose the warrantee on your vehicle when you do this conversion.
    That std Hilux looks dull that monster looks awesome
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Quote Originally Posted by Megagustodon View Post

All in all, I would absolutely love an AT35 T6 Ranger or 3.0 V6 TDi Amarok (if such a thing existed)
    I have good news!

When I was there yesterday I saw the very first Arctic Amarok in the world being built - right here in SA. 8) Kinda makes one proud.

It's all under wraps but I managed to get a few quick snaps while I was there. Sorry for the quality of the pics it was just quick snaps.

Look at how small that standard wheel looks now!

The Arctic Ranger is also coming - soon! I'll keep you posted.
    Variety is the spice of life!

Imagine the new Ranger with that kit on...just imagine...
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

This may sound like a really stupid question, but I'd see any signs of any of these vehicles having been on the receiving end of a jigsaw, hacksaw, reciprocating saw, angle grinder or plasma cutter. All I see are big tyres and wheel arch extensions fitted to the factory standard wheel arch.

So what happens when these things go offroad and those big wheels start biting into the wheel arches?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast