Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Wonder what the fuel consumption (increase) will be on these trucks...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Spent the day in the mountains. Very little real 4x4 tough, mostly gravel roads so far. Going back for the real 4x4 stuff tomorrow.

Trip computer indicated an average of 11,2 km/L (8,9L/100km) on the highway yesterday. Indicated average of 10,1km/L today, slow going driven mostly in 3rd gear.
    Variety is the spice of life!

want to see that Hummer next to that Hilux
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Trailrider I have some questions as you have driven this awesome truck hope you can give me some direction.

How would it be as an everyday drive vehicle in town / Family car. ?
    Is the normal drivers licence ok or do you need C1 like with a F250 ?
    How will it do on a 4x4 trail like Dewildt or Hennops ?
    How will it tow a trailer or caravan ?
    If you get in a accident will the body parts be available ?
    will you be able to fit some off road accessories to it ?

I am seriously thinking about this I know of one available .
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Bedinges View Post
    Trailrider I have some questions as you have driven this awesome truck hope you can give me some direction.

How would it be as an everyday drive vehicle in town / Family car. ?
    Is the normal drivers licence ok or do you need C1 like with a F250 ?
    How will it do on a 4x4 trail like Dewildt or Hennops ?
    How will it tow a trailer or caravan ?
    If you get in a accident will the body parts be available ?
    will you be able to fit some off road accessories to it ?

I am seriously thinking about this I know of one available .
    Hallo 4x4 B

Lets see if I can be of some help.

This AT drives basically just like the normal Hilux. I am as surprised by this as anyone I tell it too, but it's true. It drives like a normal bakkie.

You drive it with a normal license.

I drove it over Attakwaskloof Pass. Trail rating 3 I hear. It was a breeze (trip report pending). We never stopped to choose lines or anything. The AT just idled up and over everything. Inclines, rocks, sand, no problems. And it fits in a twee spoor.

I have no idea about the towing.

Body parts readily available from Arctic Truck (Knysna / Gauteng).

I see no reason why you could not fit accessories?

Here's another pic of the Hilux and the Hummer:

Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider View Post
    Spent the day in the mountains. Very little real 4x4 tough, mostly gravel roads so far. Going back for the real 4x4 stuff tomorrow.

Trip computer indicated an average of 11,2 km/L (8,9L/100km) on the highway yesterday. Indicated average of 10,1km/L today, slow going driven mostly in 3rd gear.
    looking gooood
    2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT DC 4x4 A/T

How long before the front CV's explode? Article

XJ Junkie there is a HUGE difference between that Arctic and the one I drove. Did you actually read the article you posted?

That one was build for the Arctic circle and taken to the dessert. It had bigger (and different) wheels, the axles were moved etc.

That is obviously not the case with the one that was specifically built for the South African environment. Generalization is a terrible thing.

In my opinion most CV/Universal/sideshaft etc damage is because of driver error, but that's a different discussion.

XJ Junkie there is a HUGE difference between that Arctic and the one I drove. Did you actually read the article you posted?

That one was build for the Arctic circle and taken to the dessert. It had bigger (and different) wheels, the axles were moved etc.
    so the tame ones in SA are not really Arctic trucks then?

Sent from my iPod Nano

LoL! OK. If you say so. Just like the Hilux 2.7 is not really a Hilux because you get a 4L also?

Don't let the company name fool you. They started out building vehicles for one extreme terrain, but now they do conversions for any terrain.

Hilux / Arctic Trucks / Isuzu build all different models for different markets. It's the new thing!

Jokes aside, Arctic Trucks build their trucks to the client's spec. If you want 44" wheels, moved axles etc. (and you can pay for it) you can have it. If you only want 33" wheels etc you can also have that. It's not AT that builds it that way, it's the client that orders it that way.
    Last edited by Trailrider; 2012/10/17 at 09:10 AM.

Who said the 2.7 is not a good Hilux? Not me :-). I know how good they are.

The point I was making is that the front diffs on any ifs won't survive any severe long term punishment unless there are some hefty mods done to the internals & stock shafts. Even then it's pushing it a bit.

Sent from my iPod Nano

Agreed. So once again we are back at driver behaviour. If you want to inflict severe long term punishment on your vehicle, build it for that purpose.

AT builds your vehicle to the spec YOU want.

I'm starting to sound like a Arctic salesman. LoL!

Remember I'm just a jouno volunteering some insights I had while I had the vehicle.

I can tell you this though, the workmanship is top notch. And if you take something (anything) and try to break it you probably could. But the measure should be how it performs in its intended purpose.

I'm glad you brought intended purpose up. A Hilux is a damn fine bakkie. But by putting silly sized tyres on & a few inches of lift it is not be used as the manufacturer intended.

So in order for these sort of mods to be done the front diff would have to be modded so that it can cope. Or else the concept is incomplete. A case in point is the one whose diff exploded when exposed to some grip. The tyres did their job but the diff wasn't designed to handle that level of traction.

Just my opinion.

How much more do those tyres weigh over stock?

Sent from my iPod Nano
    Last edited by XJ Junkie; 2012/10/17 at 10:48 AM.

XT junkie I actually think we agree to a degree. But you make it sound like diffs etc were built to a spec that can just barely cover the stresses of a standard wheel.

This is not the case of course. Components are built to handle a lot more than that. So you end up with a range within which you can operate. The engineers will also tell you that if you fit 44" wheels, the standard diff and CV's won't work. In fact going anything over 35" and diff and cv mods are a very good idea.

Lots of vehicles of different brands run 33" & 35" wheels without mods and without problems. And once again, driver behavior will play a big roll. If you are going to inflict severe long term punishment on your vehicle those mods should be done even if you run smaller wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post

How much more do those tyres weigh over stock?
    No idea.

Sent from my acer Laptop

Trailrider can we have some more scientific tests? Like before and after. Acceleration before Artic conversion and after, Top speed before and after. I am sure off road performance will be enhanced with bigger tyres but open road capabilities will definitely suffer. I tend to disagree about diff and CV upgrades 35`s is not the norm for diff up grades but anything above 33`s. Most South African 4x4`s uses diff`s build by Gearmax. The Navara and Isuzu uses a Gearmax copy of the Ford 8.8 inch diff which was first introduced here in the 4.0l Ranger. This is a heavy duty diff and its rating is only for 33`s by the most serious off roaders. If we take an 31x10.5 tyre it has a rolling circumference of about 2300mm a 35 Will be about 2500mm.The only 4x4`s that will not need diff upgrades are the ones with Dana 44`s and up. That came to mind quickly is Jeep and Ford F250. But on the other hand you get lift kids for them to fit 35`s at cost a fraction of an Artic conversion. (And you do get a verity of ratios) By average to equal original performance you have to move up 3 ratio sizes on your diff see attached graph. The Artic Trucks sure look nice but in my humble opinion it is more look than grunt. If you like smart looking trucks buy it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by grips; 2012/10/17 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Trailrider can we have some more scientific tests?
    I only had it for a trip through Attakwas and that article is about the route, not the AT, so unfortunately I did not do any tests. The previous time I had it for an afternoon and that was nothing more than driving impressions, which I shared here.

Leisure Wheels did do the tests though. Booked out the whole Gyrotech to do it. Not sure if that article is available online. Was done pretty recently.

Also remember that Arctic Builds to the client's spec. If you feel 35" need diff upgrades they'll do it. They'll do anything you want. You can also only fit 33" wheels. It's not like AT does it this or that way, clients dictate.

I only had it for a trip through Attakwas and that article is about the route, not the AT, so unfortunately I did not do any tests. The previous time I had it for an afternoon and that was nothing more than driving impressions, which I shared here.

Leisure Wheels did do the tests though. Booked out the whole Gyrotech to do it. Not sure if that article is available online. Was done pretty recently.

Also remember that Arctic Builds to the client's spec. If you feel 35" need diff upgrades they'll do it. They'll do anything you want. You can also only fit 33" wheels. It's not like AT does it this or that way, clients dictate.
    Thanks Trailrider ,
    Yes You are right it is still the clients choice if he wants a Cooper with 44`s give him a Cooper with 44`s and the money he spend is also his. Sorry man I am technically orientated and lost its sometimes with all the technical stuff. In the end it is still the clients choice.
    But please and give us a proper test.

Some new pics:

Arctic Truck's new premises in Knysna:

And the Arctic Pajero 8)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast