Default Serious oil leak-how to find?

I have a serious oil leak on the front bottom end of the 3.9 V8 that ends up coating every thing up to the cross member at the gearbox in oil.

The problem is I cannot find it. Pressure clean everything as far as possable, let the car stand and idle for hours, no oil anywhere to be traced to the source.

It is not autobox or powersteering oil, its engine oil. The front diff never needs top up either so its not coming from there when driving.

At first i suspected the front crank seal, but at lenghty idle nothing from there, nor from the oil cooler pipes or the oil pressure sensor. The sump gasket also looks sound, no obvious oil from there after a cleanup.

The only oil leaks I can find is the tappet cover seals has an oil sweat, but nothing so serious that its running down to the sump area coating it all in thick grimey oil deposits.

Any sugestions?

Any oil on the valley gasket?
    '09 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

Cant see any oil from the valley gasket area, RH tappet cover does show some oil sweat wetness 10mm high all around, could maybe coming from there going down the front of engine, but it does not look substantial enough for the mess I see under the car.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Cant see any oil from the valley gasket area, RH tappet cover does show some oil sweat wetness 10mm high all around, could maybe coming from there going down the front of engine, but it does not look substantial enough for the mess I see under the car.
    Hi Fanie

check where the dipstick tube enters the block. Leaks can also originate from there.

Good luck!
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

A drive to the shopping centre and I found some oil on the diff housing, so it's coming from the rh side of engine, not the dip sick side. I'm going to find the bugger :-)

Sounds like the steeringbox, while idling, turn fully to one side, keeping it there for only a second or two, now turn it to the other side and lock it for a second or two- check the paving.

89 110 3.5 V8

Is the area around the distributor filling with oil?

How about the oil pressure sensor or oil pressure release valve? Or even the oil filter seal or the oil filter itself. I've had a faulty oil filter that leaked around the crimped end.

Only other alternative I can see is the timing cover.
    '09 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

you have not mentioned the sump
    they love to leak
    the fan then blows everything all over the show

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

After driving around a bit it seems some fresh oil is coming from somewhere above the oil filter.

check the front crank seal, on idle it doesn't leak (I assume oil level is below the seal), but while driving oil splashing around inside and causes it to leak.

its quick to replace anyhow, and R60 if I recall, fan off, pully off and check it.

after driving around maybe just feel inside of crank pully to see if its oily there first?

Replaced the oil pressure switch, still leaks, the only other source is the crank seal as per Stretch, will do that later this week.