Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Prado and new member and questions, questions questions

Hi all,

I've just registered on this site but have been reading the forum for months, so feel like I 'know' a lot of you arleady.

I'm from Durban, 29 years old and drive a 2006 Subaru Forester and whilst I know this should probably go under 'new member intros' or something similar, I thought I would ask my questions here - seen as I'll be spending most of my time in the Toyota section... sort of...

You see, I have some questions that I would like some input on before I make a potentially big purchase.

I currently own and drive a Subaru Forester (which I love) - the only problem that this car has had at all... is that its taken me just far enough off road to let me know that I'm hooked and, that it can't take me offroad properly.

For this reason, I have decided to purchase a proper off-road vehichle and, Toyota was the nearest to Subaru - and made the most logical sense (based on parts and resale) I then took a fortuner for a test drive.

It was terrible.

Then a colleague said I should look at an older Prado - he used to work at the Toyota head office and knows his Toyotas.

I have some questions about the Prado (previous shape - 120 - I think)

Everywhere on this forum, people mention the diesel (KZ-TE) is a donkey and very slow and so I'm looking at the petrol.

1) Does the Petrol 4.0 V6 come in Automatic only?

2)Does VX mean Auto and GX mean Manual?

3)How can I tell the difference between the diesel and petrol visually (besides the tachometer and peering through the window) p.s.: If you've seen someone staring through your Prado drivers windows lately... its was probably me. Sorry.

4)Does the petrol version have a rear diff lock or LSD or anything? Or just a center diff lock?

5)Is the car expensive to service (relatively) (fuel is not a concern, i live 4km's from work)

6)Is there a link to a PDF sales brochure or anything for the 120?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Providing you buy the right one (not hammered), they're great cars..

1) Yes
    2) I would assume so (there's no VX manual available)
    3) No
    4) They are permanent 4x4 with centre diff lock. I think later versions may have had diff lock, but wouldn't see it as a deal breaker
    5) No, cheaper to run & service than the Audi it replaced
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

ditto, great cars and right price now to really use as intended nothing saddens me more to drive a new car and push it through a track too narrow and see scrathes on a new paint job. Now any scratches are battle scars that remind me of the good times away in the bush.
    older 4.0 had a 4 speed gearbox newer a 5 speed then the facelift came with the sat nav and titanium trim instead of chrome. I have the 4 speed and at my cruising speed of 127km(set on gps) it is purring along. father inlaw has 5 speed and found that at same cruising speed gearbox kept changing it's mind plus he has a complex procedure for gearbox oil changes. He was told its sealed for life and no oil changes are needed but i preferr to change all the oils every major service. Apart from some teething problems related to poor knowlage from the dealer it is a pleasure to own. I do all my own services so not too expensive around R1800.00 for major service all oils (gud filters & castrol Magnatec). fuel consumption around town around 14 l/100km. insurance reasonable (R400 p/m) and I feel quite safe with airbags ect. off road I have followed the double cab diff locked front and rear bakkies with never a 2nd thought. I have not tried to get stuck like some guys like to do but have seen some increddible offroading on you tube with these suv's. Buy the right one and you will love it buy the wrong one and you will hate Toyota for life.

Hi Spectator,

thanks a lot for posting... really appreciate the comments.
    still need to get to the bottom of the rear diff lock thing? does it have traction control? I dont see it as a deal break, just want to know and the Toyota sales people I have spoken to are... ja.

Also going to try and track down a sales brochure.

Thanks a lot.

jk

Thanks sparewheel - appreciate the detailed feedback.
    How does one get into Low Range in the Autos? Is it a switch?

Still need to find out if the later ones came with RDL - just want to know.
    I'll hopefully also service the vehicle myself... with some help from my father.

Thanks,
    jk

You will not make a mistake with the 120 Prado.
    1. Not sure, but cannot recall seeing a VX manual in SA. The autos (even 4spd) are great cars and really smooth. GX to my recollection available in manual only...
    2. VX and GX refer to specification levels.
    3. You can only tell whether is is Petrol / Diesel as with hamsters - you need to look carefully and mainly by looking under the bonnet. Even the new 150s difficult to tell apart.
    4. New 150 has a diff lock at the back and centre diff but the 120s only have a centre diff. Not too sure about the 120 - don't think so, but those owning one will surely correct me if wrong. It does come with ESP, ABS, etc.
    5. They are relatively cost effective to maintain. Just make sure you find a good dealer (and not a stealer). There are some really good non-franchised dealers around. Have the vehicle's history also checked out thoroughly !!
    6. Looked but could not find a brochure.
    Regards / Groete

Johannes

Thanks Johannes, appreciate the help
    Jk

GX is a diesel 5 speed manual. VX all auto's diesel or petrol. The come with traction control and are permanent 4WD (which is really RWD with traction control). For proper 4WD you need to engage the central diff lock. Main spec level differences between GX and VX are leather seats, auto vs manual, optitron instrumentation, Hill start assist function in VX.
    Diesels are somewhat underpowered compared to petrol, but use less fuel. If I had to choose again, I would have taken petrol, but my diesel has taken me to some very nice places without any problem.

'15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '13 Jurgens Xcell

Had a 120 Prado 4.0l up to 230k km's. Most expensive service at dealer was R3400.00. Sold it and bought the new Fortuner...BIG mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Had a 120 Prado 4.0l up to 230k km's. Most expensive service at dealer was R3400.00. Sold it and bought the new Fortuner...BIG mistake.
    Diesel or petrol Fortuner?

Petrol.

Petrol.
    Mmm, interesting. Would be nice to hear more about the differences between these two from someone who have owned both.

The Prado is superior in all aspects ie. ride comfort, wear and tear items like leather on seats, sound damping, the list go on and on. Will I rather buy a second hand 120 over a new Fortuner?, the answer is YES. At the end of the day it is not fair to compare the two as the Prado comes with a price tag. One thing in favour of the Fortuner, is that it is quicker off the mark due to weight difference.

The Prado is superior in all aspects ie. ride comfort, wear and tear items like leather on seats, sound damping, the list go on and on. Will I rather buy a second hand 120 over a new Fortuner?, the answer is YES. At the end of the day it is not fair to compare the two as the Prado comes with a price tag. One thing in favour of the Fortuner, is that it is quicker off the mark due to weight difference.
    When I'm big, I'm going to upgrade to a 120! But I'll keep my 90 to play with!

I owned a D4d Fortuner, 09 model (manual). After 6 months I traded it for a '07 Prado 120...best move ever. Prado superior in most aspects. All I miss of the Fortuner is that torque on the uphills! Fuel consumption also a bit worse with Prado, but nothing serious.

Default 120 vs 150

The 120 has an 180L tank, the 150 = 150L. The 120 all have traction control with centre difflock. The 150 Tx is the same, only the 150 Vx has the rear difflock.

The 120 Vx from 2009 is if I remeber correctly came with satnav as std, this was a better value prop than the 150 Tx, which is way IMHO is just a dud in the range, should have the KDSS and rear difflock included...

You can keep the crawl control and the multi terrain select in the Vx...

Hi All,

Thanks for the very many helpful comments. Took a 4.0 VX for a decent test drive on Friday (Hillcrest Toyota, so far, are awesome)

It was streaks ahead of the Fortuner in pretty much every quantifiable way. Didn't feel like the back end wanted to over take me all the time for a start. Power delivery of the 4.0 was magnificent. Pity the particular car I drove didn't have the manual in the cubby - could've answered some questions in there... All in all though, a good experience.

Now the hunt really starts... finding the right one... and getting approval from my wife

for those interested there is a brochure of sorts - look here -> http://www.toyota120.com/GenDocs/2005AusPradoBro.pdf - for Australian spec mind you. Interesting the VX over there comes with a rear limited slip diff.

Anyway, thanks again for help. Any other useful bit of info will be appreciated.

jk

Melbourne (missing South African Weather)

All 4x4(Toyota) in oz come with LSD,
    if you want diff locks you need to buy them
    Toyota Prado 3,4Lt

Again it comes back to the questions " what do you want to do with it?"

It sound like you are going to use it for some 4x4?

My suggestion is to go for the 4.0L petrol. The auto box is excellent!. You can still change to 1, 2, 3 or 4 manually when off -roading. When going declines I switch to 1 (L) but still have to have the foot on the brake pedal as 1st is just too fast in rocky down slopes.

Ok so you dont have rear difflock.....the traction control with centre diff works excellent if you have a good set of rubber. The only time I have experienced issues with the traction control was with poor tyres in mud and loose gravel inclines - else the TC is good. But experience will teach you to pick the better lines

I use my 120 ONLY for 4x4 trails and overland trips........so it is used maybe twice a month! But for this enjoyment I have added most of the available bells and whistles, and I am still adding.

You wont go wrong with a 120! PLUS PLUS mine is now a PROVEN LANDY RECOVERY VEHICLE!

.......ok LR guys....let me have it!

Enjoy!

I got my 2003 120 VX Prado 4L petrol for R280k with 49kkm on the clock. It has 120kkm on now and the most expensive service was R3200. With every service I have to rack my brain for 'other issues' they have to look at and always come up with nothing. Nothing wants to break on it. Very different from my Merc. It drives like a dream. I would be driving in it, see another one drive by and turn green with envy. I want more... If I had to spend R1million on a car, I'd get three Prado 120's. If I had R750k I'd get two. You get the picture. Spoke with old Toyota mech's and they say the 4L petrol is bullet proof. Not the diesel though.

You only get centre diff lock and ESP and hill descent control. That is enough though. Went on a fun ride with some friends on a farm outside Stellenbosch. Had a 4 litre Navara there and a Toyota DC there as well as a fortuner. They all found the extreme muddy downhill exciting and challenging. I went last. Stopped half way, took a yawn and reversed all the way back up. Really amazing car.

If you want to be like me, get one. Also, Youtube Prado rock climb. I know, I'm a bit crazy...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast