A Namibian icon died today

Default A Namibian icon died today

Sadly, uncomfirmed reports are that Harold Pupkewitz died today. He was like 98 or 99 years old, and still worked many hours every day.....

His business empire includes Pupkewitz Megabuild - The biggest supplier to the construction industry in Namibia, many car dealerships (Toyota, Delta etc) Properties, catering supplies, cellphones etc etc.

He was also a board member on several big company boards.

My wife was Management Secretary at Pupkewitz HO, but unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet one of the greatest men ever in this country.

During the 2nd World War he extended credid to hundreds of farmers that would have gone bust if not for him (he started out selling hides and skins if I'm not mistaken) and almost ruined himsel financially in the process.

He also recently told an assembled gaggle of Ministers and the like what he thinks of BEE. He said big companies try to comply, take in blacks in mentorships, identify and train those with potential, and then they just leave for bigger offers, in many cases at parastatals and state owned enterprises. This is why, he said, his business house no longer tries to "uplift" those without loyalty.

Hats off, and may he rest in peace.

hear this as well about an hour ago...
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

Hy het die gewoonte gehad om self agter die toonbank van sy winkels te werk.. Hier in my garage hang 'n ghriespomp wat ek by hom gekoop het. Dit was die tak net bokant die Franse Bank sentrum - Kalahari Sands Hotel. Moes 1973 gewees het

Voorwaar 'n baie merkwaardige man. NamibiŽ het een van sy grootstes verloor.

Ek kan onthou toe ons hom tydens 'n groot droogte in die 1980's gaan spreek het oor suipingstoerusting en materiaal. Sy kantoor was daar bo in Kaizer Strasse op pad na die die Ausspan Platz. 'n Nederige kantoor wat soos 'n plaaskombuis (jou laat tuis voel) was.

Hy het ons onbaatsugtig baie gehelp. Baie Suidwesters is baie aan Oom Harald verskuldig.

Harold Pupkewitz has had an exemplary life, one that made the 'Puppe'-business'es a household name all over our country. The older people in the farming community can tell many a story of how they survived through difficult years and a major contributor was the 'Puppe' that gave them the necessary credit, long enough to survive. If there ever was a person deserving a monument in Namibia, it is Oom Harold!

He was 96 years old.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Default A Namibian icon died today

My FIL used to work for him in Keetmanshoop years ago. He told us a few storys about him yesterday and according to my FIL he was a great man! RIP.

What's a FIL?

Father-in-Law.. Your wife's dad.. aka the dude with the shotgun that spoils his grand-children beyond belief (the one who buys the toys that make the noise!!)
    IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..