Urgent sleeping bag tips needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Urgent sleeping bag tips needed

I'm off on a sub-zero trip tomorrow and urgently need to pull finger and make a plan that I don't freeze. Also no time and limited bucks.

Any tips on where to go and what to buy please?

Or do you reckon if I'm wrapped in duvet and blankets I'll be OK?

Another question: Sleep in the cab of the bakkie or in a tent? Which is less freezing?
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Vehicles are usually colder than the tent. Golden rule when sleeping on the ground, if you have three blankets put two underneath to isolate you from the cold ground. Buy a -5 sleeping bag from Macro for +-R200 to do the isolation.
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

Spike bit sketchy details but I assume you are driving in your bakkie and just you?

I think the cab will be warmer(assuming it's just you then). The thick canvas type tents are better, but in the rest(Nylon) you feel the cold. If money limited I think lots of blankets and a good duvet will do the trick.

Don't know shops in CT, other than the chains, i.e. C.U.M.--their quality mostly looks good--as you know the sleeping bags are rated, i.e +5*, 0*, -5* etc. But for just 1 or 2 cold nights a year and tight budget I think you will survive with blankets & duvet.

Take good quality long johns, and long sleeve top as 1st layer, will probably be as good as a sleeping bag.

Hope this helps!

Ja I'm doing a trail where they tell me it's going to be -12 degrees so I reckon sleeping in my open canopy with my feet sticking out the end is not going to work

I've got a nylon tent

Hoffie do you reckon a R200 jobbie from Makro will do it?

I learned my lesson quickly with vehicles when I was in Bethlehem in the army. Stay away from vehicles as the steel get colder than the surounding temp. If you touched it one's skin would freeze to the steel.

The sleeping bag is fine if you cover a matress with it
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

I would do it like this in serious minus conditions. From the bottom up, ground sheet, matress, blanket, sleeping bag(open), another blanket?, duvet. Long sleeve shirt and track suit or thermals, socks and definitely a beany. You can lose up to 40% of body heat through your head.(in your case 2 beanies)
    FJ Cruiser
    Echo Kavango

Beanie, or get a bag with a cowl that can be pulled tighter around your head. Sounds like where you're going you may need both... Don't know if you're claustrophobic, but if you are just make sure you buy the biggest mother of a bag you can afford, otherwise it can give you that wonderful Groendakkies feeling of being tied up in a straitjacket, especially if you turn around a lot. Many people recommend separate sleeping bag linings these days, for easy cleaning and also the cold, but I can't help wondering what it'd feel like if it becomes twisted inside the bag!

Hoffie do you reckon a R200 jobbie from Makro will do it?[/quote]

I got a makro job works very well and as Hoffie say stay away from the bakkie it is very cold this time of the year you wiil be awake half the time and feel k#k the next morning use the tent instead with good ground cover you will be okay blow up mattress wiil also not do the thing get a mat like the ones hikers use and couple of blankets and take a drop sheet (you got )to put under it

my 2c done this alot on horse trips slaap sommer op die bale onder die afdak of langs die vuur
    2003 COLT RODEO 2.8TDI BRACKENFELL CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA 1300 Tazz vir Liewe Heksie

Spike

Its all about the amount of money you want to spend. As you are aware I just got back from Kglagadi with the coldest night temp was -8.9 degrees C inside the tents

For me wife an I we used First Ascent Ice Breaker XL bags. They are rated for -8 with a comfort level rating of -5. Inside the bags we use polar fleese inners. At -9 (more or less) it was cold but still comfortable.

We used beanies to keep our heads warm and slept on blow up mattresses. As the night gets colder one tends to creep deeper inside the bag with only your nose sticking out.

As nighties we wore Cape Storm layered clothing and Woolies Long Johns (thermal underwear)

Rather sleep inside the tent. The car cab gets much colder...
    TLC 105 Fully Locked

For the children we used the Makro -8 degree bags. The bags are to small for comfort for an Adult IMHO. Inside the marko bags we used polar fleese sleeping bags and the kids stayed fully dressed with thermal underwear and beanies, including socks.
    TLC 105 Fully Locked

4ePajero Guest

Spike,

If the terrain permits, dig a shallow hollow, and spread the camp fire's embers in it. Fill in. Place a few news papers over. Mattress, S'bag, beanie, duvet.

If you can't do the embers thing, find a rock. Leave it in the fire for a while. Wrap in foil then newspaper. Make sure it's not too hot, though. Place at your feet in the s'bag.

News paper (nice & thick) is a must under the mattress.

Old Brown Sherry / Port as a back up!

After a cold night experience a couple of years ago I also investigated the lot and got some First Ascent Ice Polar bags which is a synthetic material although has exactly the same specs (weight, -8C etc) as the down model, the Ice Breaker.

My first thought was to go for a down bag, but then also remember that they do require a bit of maintenance and cold spots are quite possible if you don't keep the down spread before tucking in for tonight. The Ice Breaker is however considered to be tops in that range. You could go more expensive if you need more specialized equipment ie an Ice Breaker will not be up to the job on Mnt Kilimanjaro, but that's another range on its own.

Good value for money is the new K-Way range at Cape Union Mart. I looked at them last week and saw their ideal one is -8C with cowl and in the price region of R450. Think it was called the Sapphire.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

First Ascent Ice-Breaker with First Ascent thermal liner - use this in winter in the Drakensberg while hiking. And cover your head properly, you actually loose more than 40% of body heat via your head, could be as much as 70% (your body can slow down blood flow to other body parts when cold, but not to your brain).

Spike a bic pump vironica (co pilot front) obs and a duvet will do the thing thats the cheep way out you only pay for the obs
    2003 COLT RODEO 2.8TDI BRACKENFELL CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA 1300 Tazz vir Liewe Heksie

Spike - I bought a Due South -15 degree sleeping bag about a year and a half ago for I think R399 or R499. It works like a charm, I slept inside a bakkie in Touwsrivier, just underneath the snowline last winter and I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt - no problem. I've tried some of the methods mentioned above previously (and they do work), but in my opinion - no replacement for a decent sleeping bag.

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Thanks for all the tips. I sat vas at LA Sport all afternoon and into the night (till a few minutes ago actually) so in the morning I'm going to be in a flat spin at the camping shops on my way to the departure point.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. I sat vas at LA Sport all afternoon and into the night (till a few minutes ago actually) so in the morning I'm going to be in a flat spin at the camping shops on my way to the departure point.
    Due South in Canal Walk is open till 9 tonight...

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

Ja I've had enough for one day

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Ja I've had enough for one day
    Have a look at some of the websites... Cape Union Mart, Due South, etc etc ...

2" Murchison Lift
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

or you could just idle the blerrie bakke the whole night with the heaters on!
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast