Bela Bela organised crime - beware!

Angry Bela Bela organised crime - beware!

We were camping near Modimolle and on 4 April decided to go buy some provisions in the Pick n Pay shopping centre at Bela Bela. When camping, the safest place for valuables is locked-up in the car. Didn't work for me this time. I left my Defender in the parking area in front (North) of the Pick n Pay but did not arm the alarm. But there were uniformed security guards all over so I thought it wasn't necessary. Big mistake!!!
    When I got back to the vehicle, the two front door locks were forced open and laptop, hard drive, GPS, wireless router and Sonim XP3 phone were gone.
    The two nearest guards were looking the other way and when I eventually drew their attention and got hold of their senior, I was informed that the last two parking rows ( where I was; in front of the pharmacy) were not part of their contract!! How the #$&* must one know that?
    Now these guys all have 2-way radios and there is one stationed by the entrance of the Pick n Pay and others in strategic positions in the parking area. Perfect well organised car theft setup!
    A colleague told me her friend's caravan was broken into in the West side parking area during the same period and a laptop and other valuables stolen.
    These criminals are obviously now targeting people who are on holiday because they are carting valuable re-sellable equipment and they are relaxed, chilled-out and not on guard. The bastards!
    2001 Defender 110 TD5
    2008 Subaru Forester

Eish! sorry to hear of your troubles! Car guards... about as useful as a chocolate teapot!
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Eish sad to see this , I grew up in this town and in my young days you could leave your car idling on front of the kooperasie . with your laptop on the seat

I lost a bakkie to thieves in JHB, with 6 traffic cops standing there. Lost my 626 Mazda in Pinetown, and according to the 2 gargaurds on duty their responsibility stopped on either side of where I was parked. Figure that one out, that's the reason I dont support them anywhere
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Quote Originally Posted by All -in -one View Post
    .... 6 traffic cops standing there. ..... 2 carguards on duty their responsibility stopped on either side of where I was parked. Figure that one out, that's the reason I dont support them anywhere
    +1 for all above

Last year August my mother-n-law was relieved of some stuff in her car by Bela-Bela residents. The car was parked in the parking lot at the Spar in Warmbad.

2 Weekends ago we camped at Ronwil, between Warmbad and Klein Kariba. This was despite being warned about this particular place being a thieving nightmare. Long story why we went in anycase. So, friday night they relieve my brother from Maputo of his suitcase and R4000 whilst he was sleeping. Called the cops out next morning and they recon Aventura, Ronwil and Klein kariba got raided by Bela-Bela residents that night. All I can say is I will not be stopping in Warmbad again soon. Far outside, away from Bela-Bela yes, but not in town. Be warned. They are killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Can you imagine how happy it makes the thieves if they know that the car gaurd will not do anything to them? That must be the best case scenario ever. The shopper thinks he is protected and leasurly strolls off to buy some bread and butter, returning to a chaos.
    If the shopper is lucky and were not robbed because the robbers are too busy robbing somebody else and he presents the gaurd with a tip, will he take it or will he say "Sorry, I cannot take it as I did not look after your car"
    Pieter in Randburg
    2011 Fortuner 4x4 Diesel Auto
    Platkar: BMW 335

Previous:
    Nissan Terrano
    Nissan Murano (This cannot be considered a 4x4)
    Land Rover 110 Tdi (This one broke too many times)
    Land Rover 90 Series IIA (I miss this one the most, but not the oily hands)