Please help recommend me a 4x4... - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
    So went this morning to Suzuki Bryanston to test drive both the Jimny and the GV. Both were fitted with the lift kit already as well as a few other accessories.

The Jimny first. Not a bad drive and pretty much what I expected. The car "rolls" a bit when cornering but that is to be expected with the lift kit fitted. Overall nice car but I can definitely see space being a problem.

Next is the GV. Lots of space and spacious. We had the AT version which was very weird for me. I've driven 4x4 automatics before but it still feels weird. It somehow also makes the car feel less powerful since you aren't 100% in control of the gear change My wife on the other hand loved the feel. She also felt much more comfortable driving the GV than the Jimny. The dealer only had one GV available with 39000kms for R244K which of course is too much for me considering some of the other deals I have seen lately.
    Ja Zenbaas, there is a switch to change the gear changes into a "sport / power" mode next to the gear selector - just makes the rpm go a bit higher before changing gear - might have felt the difference then.

Yep swambo tested her one in a howling gale going up Sir Lowerys pass with the grass almost horizontal and the GV twitched a tiny bit - the ESP and 4x4 permenant drive was amazing - she said she felt "very safe" - her words not mine - in that high wind and it sold her on the GV.

'98 Patrol GL 4500 fully kitted SWB 3.8 V6 Mitsu & Toyota Prado 120 VX with a couple of mods.
    Platcar BMW Z3 2.8i / '81 Motor Guzzi LeMans Mk 3
    Swambo: '11 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDI
    Eurard on FAC : Beach driving is NOT driving dunes like those mad hatters of the southern tip side. They take a dune pick it up and put it down in another place.

Now I've seen lots of these threads around lately and many of them have just helped to confuse me.

Over the past year or so we have been considering getting a new car. This started out from a Terios to a SX4 to a Jimny and then to the GV when I learned what they could be had for secondhand. Now with the looming fuel increases my head was heading in the direction of the Jimny again but the space contraints have put me off a little bit (I know there are a million in one positives going for the vehicle but considering how long we would probably be keeping the car for I need to think long term).

In any case my budget I would say is max R220K and there are a fair amount of good deals floating around lately. I would prefer going a little cheaper so I can immediately fit the lift kit with some underpants from the get go.

I have seen 1 or 2 sub 40000kms Vitaras going for sub R220k which I think is a good deal..?

Also another question I have been struggling with...AT or MT...? I have always been a MT guy although I have read a fair amount about the benefits of a AT vehicle while 4x4ing with respect to the longevity of the gearbox (please correct me if I'm wrong). The only thing that puts me off is the increases fuel consumption with the AT.

The lastly where should I consider buying from..? This would be my first car that I'm buying so there's a fair amount that I'm clueless about. I'm thinking more about the after-sales aspect and vehicle maintenance.

Thanks!
    If you are looking for a 4x4 that is not heavy on fuel, have plenty of space for less than R220k, I suggest you look at the GWM Hover. The Hover has low range and on my trip through Botswana I kept up with the Toyota's. I must add, I was the rookie in the group. My fuel consumption is always better than 9 l/100km, even in town. With the off road trailer it went up to 10,5.

In the Autotrader there is a 2010 diesel for only R170k with 55k km. Just remember the new H5 diesel is an all wheel drive and not a 4x4 with low range.

Quote Originally Posted by DanieB View Post
    If you are looking for a 4x4 that is not heavy on fuel, have plenty of space for less than R220k, I suggest you look at the GWM Hover. The Hover has low range and on my trip through Botswana I kept up with the Toyota's. I must add, I was the rookie in the group. My fuel consumption is always better than 9 l/100km, even in town. With the off road trailer it went up to 10,5.

In the Autotrader there is a 2010 diesel for only R170k with 55k km. Just remember the new H5 diesel is an all wheel drive and not a 4x4 with low range.
    I had a look at them last year but I was convinced they had no low range capability...? Guess I'll have a peek at them again.

Had a look at the engine and it lists :2.4i "Mitsubishi 4G69"...?
    Last edited by Zenbaas; 2012/05/01 at 01:25 PM.

One of my friends' folks had one. They where very happy, they only mentioned that they would off liked more power. Steed 5dbl cab gets good reviews.
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    One of my friends' folks had one. They where very happy, they only mentioned that they would off liked more power. Steed 5dbl cab gets good reviews.
    Yeah, it's listed as 100kW from the 2.4 engine.

100Kw is not bad for a 2.4

Jeep Cherokee
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

Hi, also keeping an eye on the Hover. It is a Mitsu motor and seems very reliable. In Australia they often super charge them and it seems like they can handle it. Worth a good look. Test drove the 3.2 V6 Grand Vitara about a year back, really liked it. Nice choice to have.
    Last edited by Frans E; 2012/05/01 at 07:56 PM. Reason: sentence incorrect

Had a nice look at the Grand Vitara when I bought my Jimny. Fantastic vehicle. Just low.

Jeep Cherokee

Now last night I was messing around on autotrader and carfind and saw quite a few Jeep wrangler Sahara's and Rubi's going for decent prices.Are they worth looking at if you can get your head around the fuel consumption? Anything else to consider when looking at these second hand?

Ask in the Jeep section.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    Ask in the Jeep section.
    I was trying for some unbiased views first

Zenbaas Koop n triton, beste 4x4 in sy prysklas en baie gemaklike elke dag voertuig. Hulle kleur ook mooi in!

Now last night I was messing around on autotrader and carfind and saw quite a few Jeep wrangler Sahara's and Rubi's going for decent prices.Are they worth looking at if you can get your head around the fuel consumption? Anything else to consider when looking at these second hand?
    Wrangler Rubicon is very nice. The new 3.6 is much better engine than the older 3.8. Heavy on fuel! The vehicle with THE MOST aftermarket upgrades etc.
    If you can afford one and you have money left for fuel you will have a excellent offroader. Friend has the 4.0l Wrangler (non rubicon) - Looks awesome, massive tyres lift etc. 3-4k's a liter they bought another car for day to day to keep the Jeep for playing in the mud. Bought second hand. Replaced Radiator, Starter and Aircon so far. nothing else mechanically wrong. So they are tough.

Make sure it has FULL service history. Every 6 months or 12000km's as far as i recall. That was what my KJ's booklet said if I followed the correct schedule. - oil replaced regularly etc. Check the underside to see how hectic it was used offroad. Sometimes the dealers buy ones that was just returned to stock but was actually used heavily offroad. look out for prices too good to be true - they usually are. They retain their value quite well.

Great vehicles, basically in stock form nothing beats it offroad. When things go wrong it can be expensive, but I don't think much more so than say Nissan -Which is actually expensive on parts.

Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    100Kw is not bad for a 2.4
    Really? My platkar 1.8l does 135 kw and 270nm torque?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheron007 View Post
    Really? My platkar 1.8l does 135 kw and 270nm torque?
    Take the turbo out.... Then what?
    I also didn't say it's good, I said it ain't bad. You cannot compare turbo audi's or is it a vw - with a bakkie.

Jeep Cherokee

Does CGI mean turbo? My previous, non-turbo 2.4L delivered 156kw... Same brand.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheron007 View Post
    Does CGI mean turbo? My previous, non-turbo 2.4L delivered 156kw... Same brand.
    No it means compressor so it does have a "booster".

But still, 156kW from a 2.4l engin is not bad. My normal 2.4l gives 122kW which is ok.
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4