The old postal route - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    On the beach in Ramsgate But unfortunately paying the bills in Bellville CT

Would be awesome doing it with a bike.

I see above that this is a public road (although I understand some of the farmers have tried to close it off ?). Can anyone confirm it is indeed a public road ? Slingsby Cederberg map shows it as a private road - so I just wan't to be sure before I give it a go.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks
    2011 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2012 Mini-Metalian Trailer

I went through in December 2013. 'n Oom en tannie onder in die Biedouw Vallei het bevestig dat dit 'n publieke pad is en ons kon deur kom sonder moeilikheid.

Maar ek het amper die Oom in sy tv kamer raak gery, so naby ry mens aan 'n huis verby. Ek is nie verbaas hulle sluit hulle hekke nie, ek sou ook nie daarvan gehou het as elke 4x4 man met sy stuk staal oor my stoep ry nie...
    Ek verdwaal nie, ek verken!

well its a provincial road, so no they may not block it. Im doing it end june, hope I don't have to drive over fences.... ?
    Would you be able to cross the Doring on Elandsvlei's side during winter?

No permission needed or fees, it is a council Road. Just bear in mind the big bluegum tree is in the way and it takes the better part of 4 hours to do the trail.
    Why does the WegRy right up mention a fee then?

We are spending a week in the Cederberg in July at my place of birth and I am considering doing the route but am not sure if you would be able to cross the Doring as you would definitely not be able to do so at Uitspankaal..
    Jannie (GP0306-WC)

Toyota Hilux V6
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC
    Fortuner V6 - Dual battery, 72 liter auxilary fuel tank, Ironman suspension, 90l NL, Hannibal roofrack, 50 liter water tank (Sold - Served us well, will miss him!)

Toyota RAV4 2014
    Corolla d4d (sold)
    110 Defender 2.8i 161Kw, 180l long range tanks, NL Weekender, KC Daylighters (Sadly sold but lots of fond memories)

Quote Originally Posted by jwagener View Post
    Why does the WegRy right up mention a fee then?..
    No idea....but unless it changed between Dec 2013 and now...no fees required.

We encountered the first sign of human life at Elandsvlei which was three farm workers which just pointed us in the right direction. (we went with only a topographical map, nothing else - sometimes just follow your sixth sense...)

My point being, no one even knew we went through there...

We just respected whoever's land we were on...with no littering and noise and closed all the gates and that sort of stuff...

Default Re: The old postal route

Thanks for all the information regarding this route.

Has anyone completed this route recently? We are planning on driving it in December and was wondering if the status is still the same.

Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ingetrap For This Useful Post:

Articles say this route does not attract much attention but has no-one complete it recently?

Further to my post above, is one required to obtain any permission to access this route?

Nope, just go! It's lovely! If I were you, I'd plan an alternative (ONLY IF I need to turn around), but other than that, just go!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlomCo For This Useful Post:

Sweet, must do this soon. When is the bet time of year to go. How long will it take starting in Cape Town

This does look awesome!

Another one that pop's into mind, is doing the full Ox Wagon trail : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX81GzZa0x8

Its a bit longer and more expensive (fuel, accomidation, 4x4 routes), however, i think that it would be an amazing experience. I see that there are plenty of guys here on the forum that have already done it and reported back on it.

One often forgets how beautiful our country really is and how much there still is to see and explore!
    "Do or do not there is no try" master Yoda

A group of us did the old poastal route just before Xmas. Spent first night at Sanddrif and the following day continued to Bidouw Valley area ( Mertenhof guest farm is very close to the start of the route). Drove the route and camped in Tankwa that night. December is HOT. In winter you may have a problem crossing the 2 rivers.
    Landscape is extremely barren and rocky. Reminds me a lot of parts of S Namibia
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

Default The old postal route

Hi Guys we did the route a couple weeks ago, we opted to take the north eastern alternative via Kliphuiskloof trail. It was easy going all the way except for the initial decent into Kliphuiskloof pass.(note we didn't take the karretjiespass route)
    There is a narrow gap, with sharp decent and once through this a sharp almost 90degree right turn overlooking a cliff edge. The road surface is boulders & rocks, the first kilometer of the pass is narrow.
    My patrol just managed to fit on road.
    The remainder of route is beautiful, with multiple crossings of a tributary that finally ends at the Doring river.
    You have to cross the Doring at a low water point, there has been a rather good attempt at making the crossing easier. There are beacons on the river crossing and a well build rock trail through the river.
    I wouldn't attempt this route after winter, however I may do it again after our first bit of rain. A wet/low flowing tributary and flowing doring will make the multiple river crossings rather exciting.

I'll try find the video or pics to upload.
    Last edited by pezvela; 2017/01/21 at 09:42 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pezvela For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2