Page 562 of 563 FirstFirst ... 62 312 462 512 537 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,240 of 11256

Thread: Treg Owners

Default Re: Treg Owners

Good evening,I haven't been on the thread for a more than a year .Lots happened in the meantime. I retired and moved house, it was not fun at all
    Any way, the Treg is still going strong, hitting 228k.
    For those who don't know,I got my 2005 V8 here on the forum two years ago and only put about 5000k on her for the 2 years. I still say it is the most comfortable vehicle I ever had, and i had about 30 plus cars in my short 55 years since I started driving,starting with a VW bakkie splitty at 13 years of age. Funny enough, here it looks like this VW will hopefully be my last car.
    So I have a small problem I have noticed a couple months ago, flooring the car from standstill,there is a loud cluck cluck cluck cluck from the front, cant make out if it is on the left or right side., then when shifting to about 3rd or so it goes away.Riding the car normally does not produce this cluck noise.
    Any idea where I can expect to be looking first.?
    It sounds like a CV joint would sound on a sharp turn, but this is on straight ahead on pull-away under full power pedal right down.
    Looking forward to hear what you Treg experts say
    Last edited by SkipSkop; 2021/10/23 at 10:06 PM.
    T4 Syncro
    2.8 Blisterfender
    Syncro Camper -miles of smiles .
    Now a T4 Syncro Caravelle TDI
    BMW 1200 GS-moves my soul
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Klr350
    DRZ400
    My other passion is flying-keeps me sane

My 2006 V8 started making that noise today after quite a violent hill climb with my newly fitted 33" tyres on beadlock rims....I suspect it is the transfer case chain that's slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Barto View Post
    My 2006 V8 started making that noise today after quite a violent hill climb with my newly fitted 33" tyres on beadlock rims....I suspect it is the transfer case chain that's slipping.
    My V8 was on 130k km 4 years ago, and also had this. A gearbox repair centre in Koedoespoort, Pta replaced the chain. Fortunately for me the gears were still good, and the repair bill came to about R20000-00. All good since then.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

Mine is on 174K right now and although there were some noises already, my 33" tyres and my driving style definitely broken the camel's back. I can see it is a huge amount of labour to do the job, so hoping I can save on that by doing most of the labour myself.

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Hi guys, my Treg needs some minor work done and hopefully the KZN members can advise:

1. Roof lining: The car was garaged all its life as the previous owner is retired, with me it stands in the sun during the day, with the result the roof lining is coming loose (I assume it is the reason). Anyway, where in the greater Durban-Hillcrest area can I have this redone (new roof lining)?

2. Engine management light: After a muddy inland weekend I rinsed the engine very lightly. A few days later the EML came on. I took it to a local VW dealer to sort, they had to do a diagnostic test, R1400 later I was told, with pitiful and accusing looks from the mechanic, service manager and later the DP that it was because I washed the engine, I should never have done it, no modern car since the 90's already can have its engine washed, how could I be so ignorant, etc. Anyway, they apparently dried the wet bits the whole day, the fault was gone and off I went. The next morning the EML was on again so back I went. They refused to admit it was the same issue, must be something else. Back on the machine. See it is a different issue, fix the "loose switch" and off I went, go away for the weekend. On the trip up North the light comes on again. Went back after the weekend. Back on machine. R1800 later but now they want a big replacement of some parts bla bla bla, even though fixing the switch let the light go off for a few km's. The vehicle performance and fuel usage and engine temperatures are not at all affected by the issue. Needless to say I have lost my trust in them. So the question, is there a trusted qualified VW mechanic in the area that can do a diagnostic test and attend to actual repairs?

3. Radio Replacement: We had a discussion here about a replacement bluetooth/gps radio a while ago, if anybody recently did this I would appreciate some feedback please. I am awaiting a quote from a local installer who told me over the phone it would be R8 500 plus VAT, but I don't know what make the unit is. I shall give feedback once I find out myself.

Thanks guys.
    VW mechanic

Dubcorp

Address: 123 Rodger Sishi Rd, Grayleigh, Westville, 3629

Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

Phone: 031 262 0043

Isuzu KB300 2012 Auto - KingHyundai Grand10 1.2 Auto - Queen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mxiki For This Useful Post:

Thanks mxiki, appreciate it, I assume you have used them?
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

Thanks mxiki, appreciate it, I assume you have used them?
    Many times, Rob is very helpful and knowledgeable..... call him , you wont regret
    Isuzu KB300 2012 Auto - KingHyundai Grand10 1.2 Auto - Queen

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mxiki For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mxiki View Post
    Many times, Rob is very helpful and knowledgeable..... call him , you wont regret
    Good to know, thank you, shall do.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Hi Barto,longtime since we talked.
    This problem sounds serious though .
    We both probably bought our cars with this problem unknowingly.
    I wonder how this chain is tentioned and if it is tentioned at all
    I have the knowledge to do such a repair but the body does not like that kind of strain any more.....and I don't think I will tackle this job and neither do I have this kind of money now to throw at the car.
    Damn, this is such a nice car.
    I saw your pics on your little 4X4 outing a couple of days ago and you are right, these are very capable 4X4's if need be, only drawback is that there is zero articulation on the high setting.
    Pity you picked up this problem now as well.
    I wonder for how long one can keep on driving the car like this under normal conditions, like driving normally without flooring it and not putting any unnecessary torque and strain on the gearbox. I do usually drive decently to achieve a better fuel consumption and my 4X4 days are over, so I will just keep on driving it .I also only do about 2 to 3 k km on her for a year.
    I will keep an eye on this thread and see if we get more info on this matter.
    I know that we have all the knowledge on this forum and will get the experts coming in soon.
    Good luck on your side.
    T4 Syncro
    2.8 Blisterfender
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Klr350
    DRZ400

Barto, I would like to see the car with those 33's, post some pics of the wheels please and the tire make and size? And do you have clearance problems ?
    T4 Syncro
    2.8 Blisterfender
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Klr350
    DRZ400

Perhaps disconnecting the front prop is an option to take strain off the chain? I don't know if this is workable on a Touareg?

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SkipSkop View Post
    Hi Barto,longtime since we talked.
    This problem sounds serious though .
    We both probably bought our cars with this problem unknowingly.
    I wonder how this chain is tentioned and if it is tentioned at all
    I have the knowledge to do such a repair but the body does not like that kind of strain any more.....and I don't think I will tackle this job and neither do I have this kind of money now to throw at the car.
    Damn, this is such a nice car.
    I saw your pics on your little 4X4 outing a couple of days ago and you are right, these are very capable 4X4's if need be, only drawback is that there is zero articulation on the high setting.
    Pity you picked up this problem now as well.
    I wonder for how long one can keep on driving the car like this under normal conditions, like driving normally without flooring it and not putting any unnecessary torque and strain on the gearbox. I do usually drive decently to achieve a better fuel consumption and my 4X4 days are over, so I will just keep on driving it .I also only do about 2 to 3 k km on her for a year.
    I will keep an eye on this thread and see if we get more info on this matter.
    I know that we have all the knowledge on this forum and will get the experts coming in soon.
    Good luck on your side.
    As it turns out, I have a broken front diff...not sure if the transfer-case is damaged as well, but the front diff is definitely blown.

As for tensioning the chain...not really possible, but a engineering company here in PE did it a few years ago for a Treg owner by re-machining the transfer-case housing...probably not a cheap operation either, but a new transfer-case at the time was around R100K.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Perhaps disconnecting the front prop is an option to take strain off the chain? I don't know if this is workable on a Touareg?
    Unfortunately there is no centre diff lock switching available in high range and that function is usually controlled by the electronics and it will decide to lock up the centre when it thinks it is needed.

Yesterday I went to fetch mine at the 4x4 trail and tried to drive in high range and although it starts to lock up the centre diff clutch pack, as soon as it changes gear, the clutch pack releases and then the electronics would then take the decision again to start locking it, but in the process there is quite a bit of slipping happening. The Treg's have a clutch pack centre and rear diff lock that gets clamped really hard to give full lock functionality, but when not in full lock, it allows slip and I didn't want to burn the clutches.

This meant I had to put it in low range with centre locked to be able to drive it to my friend's workshop about 10km's from the trail.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Barto For This Useful Post:

Jeesh, Bartho. I've never heard of this on a Treg. How did this happen?

All the best - will probably be an expensive exercise
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by SkipSkop View Post
    Barto, I would like to see the car with those 33's, post some pics of the wheels please and the tire make and size? And do you have clearance problems ?
    See the pics below...some of them from when we were test fitting, hence the 3 wheel nuts only.

The tyres are Radar Renegade RT+ 285/70R17 which are a true size of 33".

The wheels are Toyota Hilux 17x6J steel rims that have weld on beadlocks designed myself and welding done by another forum member here in PE. Hilux wheels won't fit, so I have dual wheel adapters made by Deriam Engineering in Gauteng....something I'm sure some people would frown upon, but I don't really care what other people think about that.

Back just fits, front needed plenty of cutting inside the wheel arches and the front bumper...not something many people who own a Touareg would be willing to do.

It really stands out, not just in the 4x4 fraternity, but I also get some interesting reactions from the general public...also because I like to do drop it to loading height when parking in public spaces.

When it is not blowing diffs, the traction of those tyres at 0.5 bar is just amazing, so it is massive improvement over the stock 18" road slicks I had on before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	634206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	634207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t4.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	634208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	634209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t5.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	634210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t7.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	634211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t6.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	634212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t8.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	322.0 KB 
ID:	634213  

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Jeesh, Bartho. I've never heard of this on a Treg. How did this happen?

All the best - will probably be an expensive exercise
    Lots of violence and lots of traction combined...

Also couldn't find anything and then this guy posted a video yesterday of it happening to him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb0OQtgiEQA
    Last edited by Barto; 2021/10/26 at 09:14 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Barto For This Useful Post:

Nys

Hi guys, my Treg needs some minor work done and hopefully the KZN members can advise:

1. Roof lining: The car was garaged all its life as the previous owner is retired, with me it stands in the sun during the day, with the result the roof lining is coming loose (I assume it is the reason). Anyway, where in the greater Durban-Hillcrest area can I have this redone (new roof lining)?

2. Engine management light: After a muddy inland weekend I rinsed the engine very lightly. A few days later the EML came on. I took it to a local VW dealer to sort, they had to do a diagnostic test, R1400 later I was told, with pitiful and accusing looks from the mechanic, service manager and later the DP that it was because I washed the engine, I should never have done it, no modern car since the 90's already can have its engine washed, how could I be so ignorant, etc. Anyway, they apparently dried the wet bits the whole day, the fault was gone and off I went. The next morning the EML was on again so back I went. They refused to admit it was the same issue, must be something else. Back on the machine. See it is a different issue, fix the "loose switch" and off I went, go away for the weekend. On the trip up North the light comes on again. Went back after the weekend. Back on machine. R1800 later but now they want a big replacement of some parts bla bla bla, even though fixing the switch let the light go off for a few km's. The vehicle performance and fuel usage and engine temperatures are not at all affected by the issue. Needless to say I have lost my trust in them. So the question, is there a trusted qualified VW mechanic in the area that can do a diagnostic test and attend to actual repairs?

3. Radio Replacement: We had a discussion here about a replacement bluetooth/gps radio a while ago, if anybody recently did this I would appreciate some feedback please. I am awaiting a quote from a local installer who told me over the phone it would be R8 500 plus VAT, but I don't know what make the unit is. I shall give feedback once I find out myself.

Thanks guys.

so annoying when dealers do that, the engine bay isnt sealed and the engine gets wet when it rains, tell them to toughen up and get real

can you advise what the code was that they saw ? that would be helpful to determine the actual issue

for a radio head to seicane.com and find your car by year and model and see if they have a direct plug n play one

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:

Barto,

So na die eskapades van die naweek het Jaques by die huis gekom en natuurlik vertel van die Treg

Beste van alles was hoe hy theatrically vertel het met hand bewegings en al van jou party trick met die suspension drop as jy parkeer

Soos gewoonlik het jy n unieke voertuig vir jou gebou... net Barto wat beadlocks en monster tyres op n Treg sal sit

Quote Originally Posted by Vuurmaker View Post
    Barto,

So na die eskapades van die naweek het Jaques by die huis gekom en natuurlik vertel van die Treg

Beste van alles was hoe hy theatrically vertel het met hand bewegings en al van jou party trick met die suspension drop as jy parkeer

Soos gewoonlik het jy n unieke voertuig vir jou gebou... net Barto wat beadlocks en monster tyres op n Treg sal sit
    Barto daai Treg lyk bevange . Jy moet nog net rocksliders bou en n bietjie "BarWork" voor en agter doen
    Ek was net een keer offroad met myne en het gevind dat as die een voor wiel in die lug is dan voel dit of die ander wiel los en gryp, ek het nogal gedink n mens kan n diff seermaak so.
    Ek hou die thread dop.
    T4 Syncro
    2.8 Blisterfender
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Klr350
    DRZ400

27. The Following User Says Thank You to SkipSkop For This Useful Post:

Ek het klaar side sill protection plate gemaak, moet hulle nog op sit. Volgende is die bash plates. Ek gaan probeer om bar work te vermei om die meer stock look te behou.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Barto For This Useful Post: