Treg Owners - Page 3

Page 3 of 534 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 53 103 253 503 ... LastLast

Thread: Treg Owners

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLab View Post
    Hi Pajero,

I am NOT very tecnically or mechanically minded and I may be wrong but as far as I know a DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) comes in the fuel line and not on the exhaust.

Chris.
    Hi ChrisLab,

A DPF comes in the exhaust and not in the fuel line as they are meant to trap bits of soot in the exhaust. This was done towards cleaner exhaust emissions.

I guess I will be at ease when I know whether my car has one or not. According to VW and a number of other sources all Touaregs from the 2007 facelift onwards have DPF's. Only thing left to get clarity once and for all is to take my VIN nr and find out from the dealer,but I'm even sceptical of that
    Last edited by Skippr; 2012/04/29 at 08:51 PM.
    2011 RRS HSE Lux
    2002 Disco 2 Td5 GS A/T

Hi all,
    New to the forum! I own a Land Cruiser p/u I bought off my dad-4.2d
    Anyway he bought a new VW Touareg V8 tdi last year September and is still like a little kid when he gets behind the wheel of that car! The power is amazing and probably the most fun you can have with a suv on the road! Only thing the old man is going on about is that the option of a full size spare wheel isn't availible anymore....

The dpf part number 7L6 254 401HX For the BKS engine
    Last edited by PAJERO; 2012/04/30 at 08:34 AM.
    2007 VW TOUAREG 3.0TDI
    Goldwagen Delarey ( we courier) [email protected]
    Delarey racing developments and CNC machining [email protected]

Have been lusting after a Treg for years always been a VW fan, hoping to post a photo of my VW family when Oupa come to visit this weekend. I wanted a manual which limited my choice to the R5, found a 2007 with 100 000 in really good condition. I would have liked the full size spare but you know beggars...! Took it down to Kruger over easter and enjoyed the comfort. The fuel economy also seems to very good when compared to the Pathfinder diesel that we had before this. Loving It!

Hi All!

It is quite nice to get all the Treg info (not just issues) on one thread! I just fitted AT tires and wanted to see the impact on fuel consumption. Set the cruise control on 120km true speed and averaged 8.3l/100km down to the south coast! To follow on other comments on this thread, is it true that one can only buy the right oil from VW (2010 V6TDI)?

I also own a 2007 Treg V6 with 115 00km on the clock and all I can say is that it is a very nice vehicle. Your cannot beat the air suspension ride and it goes where other offroaders go. Used it up Sani Pass and in Botswana. It handled the pass like a dream and the sand in Botswana as if it was everyday stuff.
    Did have a lot of drama with VW spending close on R100 000 under warranty on replacing all sorts of things (that did not need replacement) because they did not know what was causing the bad starting -- eventually they stumbled upon the fact that the starter wasn't turning fast enough and the dealership used a local replacement battery instead of the imported Varta battery.
    My only concern is that there are very few mechanics who know how to work on Tregs
    My next vehicle also a Treg.

OK, so I bought it ! 2007 V6
    2007 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Canon 7D, 70-200 f4 L , 50mm f1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Canon 18-135mm IS, 1.4x TC II

Quote Originally Posted by WKruger View Post
    OK, so I bought it ! 2007 V6
    Welcome!!! I am not surprised.
    Hope to hear many good reports from you.

Chris.

Hi Southern Sky007 and Trevor.
    Welcome to the Treg Club.
    Unfortunately as far as I can gather it is true that you can only get the oil from the dealers.

Chris.

Default Touareg

I drive a 2008 V6 Tdi. Had done 72000 km and very happy. I am using Goodyear silent armor tyres 255x65x17 which covered 60000 km and are good for another 10000km. Pity is that they are not available any more so I will have to source another brand. Any recommendations?

As a matter of interest.Can the older models (2004-2005 R5 TDi) safely run on 500ppm diesel.?Somewhere I read a comment by Vossie that they can handle the available concoctions well.

Quote Originally Posted by Treg View Post
    As a matter of interest.Can the older models (2004-2005 R5 TDi) safely run on 500ppm diesel.?Somewhere I read a comment by Vossie that they can handle the available concoctions well.
    Very well.

They could even run on the old 3000ppm with a 5K service interval.

I had one for 5 years and that was the norm in 2005.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

I test drove a Treg a couple of months ago and was astounded at the comfort and power of the 3 litre V6 Diesel. I have my heart set on one as soon as I can afford it, hopefully later this year. Will report back when I have it!
    8) 2007 Hilux D-4D. Rocksliders, dual battery, bashplate, Ironman suspension. Maniac front bumper, Berco rear bumper. BFG AT's. 29 MHz radio. Dual band VHF & UHF radio. WSAR/ORRU Member.
    ZU1TIM

Touareg and 500ppm diesel.What I did not mention in my question.What would the service intervals be.On 50ppm I believe I can change oil every 15000km.With oil costing around R750 per oil change,every 5000km becomes an expensive exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Treg View Post
    Touareg and 500ppm diesel.What I did not mention in my question.What would the service intervals be.On 50ppm I believe I can change oil every 15000km.With oil costing around R750 per oil change,every 5000km becomes an expensive exercise.
    Rather. Look for supplier of LSD. I use Ener-Gi in Robertville, Roodepoort.

Who charges you that? Oil changes can be done for R500 using your own synth from oil retailers. Supply oil to your stealer.

4S TT
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

Default 2012 TREG BlueMotion

Well, we spent the weekend playing with a dealer demo.

This is a really comfortable, well assembled and ECONOMICAL vehicle, bearing in mind the physics of pushing a brick like object through the air.

We did 900 km of mixed driving, including highway, "b" roads (pothole heaven) and dirt driving, including the 4x4 track at Marakele park in Thabazimbi, and averaged 9,4 l/100km according to the trip computer.

The vehicle handles surprisingly well on tar, and it's dirt capabilities far exceed my own. Ground clearence could be an issue should one drive the more taxing trails. The v6 TDI engine is smooth, powerful and a pleasure to use, both in traffic and in the bush. Being just the two of us, space was never going to be an issue, and if I have any criticism, it is the "space saver" spare wheel fitted as standard.

My next step is to quantify the scary depreciation that these vehicles seem to have, prior to making any further decisions. I also have still to test the Disco and ML and will feedback further once I have done this.
    Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

Back from the Kruger. Did a Kruger extreme trip, 1 100 km in the park, starting at Malelane all the way to Crooks corner and back .

Treg was perfect!

Some clarity on the DPF questions:

- all V6 TDI's sold in SA up until and including 2007, regardless of facelift or not, did not have DPF's fitted. They do have what VW calls 'DPF preperation', which is really just seems to be a blank DPF unit - the one pictured in the diagram posted and which you can see under your car. I know the manual says it has DPF, but it did not for the SA market. The V10's however, had DPF's as of the facelift in 2007.
    - DPF's where then actually fitted to V6 TDI's from sometime in 2008, - I suspect in-line with the 176kw V6 TDI's coming out.

If you would like to check for sure if you have a DPF or not, ask your dealer to run the data sheet for your vehicle or do it yourself by subscribing to Erwin for a day and entering your VIN. (https://erwin.volkswagen.de). You could also check the vehicle data codes on the piece of paper in your spare wheel well. If you have the code 7GN there, it means you do not have a DPF. If you have either 7GG, 7MB, 7MG or 7GA, - you have a DPF in your V6 TDI.

No DPF = 505 01 or 507 oil (505 01 is cheaper and sufficient)
    With DPF = 507 oil only
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Hi guys. I have been a big lurker !! I recently acquired a 4.2 TDi treg. Love it, it is a bit hard without air suspension but every time you put your foot down you forget about that !
    I just wanted to know if there are any guys who have taken one of the new tregs off road. I am not mentally ready to do that but I am very curious how it will go. Also worried about not having a full spare. Guess one will have to buy one if you venture out of South Africa.

I have a 2007 V6 TDI with 91 000km on the clock and the only trouble I have had is the Throttle body was replaced at +-85 000km and the battary.
    The tyres that I am using at the moment are Bridgestone 17" ATs
    This Treg has done trips to Nam,Botswana and Caprivi plus local off road trip. Can't complain.
    I have a Dual battery system and a roof top tent.
    Cheers Doug
    Last edited by Doug; 2012/05/02 at 11:58 AM.
    Touareg V6 TDI 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Back from the Kruger. Did a Kruger extreme trip, 1 100 km in the park, starting at Malelane all the way to Crooks corner and back .

Treg was perfect!

Some clarity on the DPF questions:

- all V6 TDI's sold in SA up until and including 2007, regardless of facelift or not, did not have DPF's fitted. They do have what VW calls 'DPF preperation', which is really just seems to be a blank DPF unit - the one pictured in the diagram posted and which you can see under your car. I know the manual says it has DPF, but it did not for the SA market. The V10's however, had DPF's as of the facelift in 2007.
    - DPF's where then actually fitted to V6 TDI's from sometime in 2008, - I suspect in-line with the 176kw V6 TDI's coming out.

If you would like to check for sure if you have a DPF or not, ask your dealer to run the data sheet for your vehicle or do it yourself by subscribing to Erwin for a day and entering your VIN. (https://erwin.volkswagen.de). You could also check the vehicle data codes on the piece of paper in your spare wheel well. If you have the code 7GN there, it means you do not have a DPF. If you have either 7GG, 7MB, 7MG or 7GA, - you have a DPF in your V6 TDI.

No DPF = 505 01 or 507 oil (505 01 is cheaper and sufficient)
    With DPF = 507 oil only
    Thanks Dieter, welcome back.
    I knew you would be able to clear up the DPF issue.
    Please explain to me excactly what is this DPF and what does it do
    On our way to Kruger on Friday for 7 days.
    Sounds like you were trying to put some kilos on the Treg.

Chris.

Page 3 of 534 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 53 103 253 503 ... LastLast