Treg Owners - Page 10

Page 10 of 530 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 35 60 110 260 510 ... LastLast

Thread: Treg Owners

I know that Unitrans VW at Tulisa Park have a Treg. Try them.

4S TT
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

Good day all,

I'm a lucky Pajero owner but always keeping an eye out for another good option. Lately, the Tauregs have really caught my attention!

Things is though, I don't know anything about these cars. With the Pajero's I know the whole family tree. When each generation was released. The GLX vs GLS models. When rear diff lock was replaced by TC on certain models. All those things.

I don't know anything about the Treg familty tree. Is there anyone who can give me an overview or point me to an online resource. Obviously the VW website would have only current models on.

Then secondly, if I was to spend about R200k on a Treg, would I be able to get something decent? For this money, which area of the family tree should I be looking at?

And the last question: capability off road?

Thanks a mil - looking forward to your comments
    Cheers

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Goodyear Wrangler ATSA Tyres
    Stofpad4x4 50mm Spacer Lift
    Stofpad4x4 Front Bashplate
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Llumar Smash & Grab Window Tint
    Dual Battery

Pantoffel, go take a look at http://www.um.co.za/specifications/volkswagen.aspx . Keep in mind that things like RDL and Air Suspension where options on all Tregs before 2010 and you would therefore have to check if a vehicle has it.

For around R200k you'll find a few high milage R5's. V10TDI's and even the odd V6TDI if you're looking for a Diesel. For R250k you could find something with below 150 000km on the clock. Aslo plenty of V8 petrol models. The V8 is, however, heavy on fuel and the V10 - as lovely a vehicle as it is - is a bastard to maintain and repair.

Off road it is good - with or without air suspension. (lift kits are available for the normal suspension) Air suspension is great to have - sports car behaveour on road and extra lift off road. Great tow vehicle!

Best of luck with your investigation.
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    Pantoffel, go take a look at http://www.um.co.za/specifications/volkswagen.aspx . Keep in mind that things like RDL and Air Suspension where options on all Tregs before 2010 and you would therefore have to check if a vehicle has it.

For around R200k you'll find a few high milage R5's. V10TDI's and even the odd V6TDI if you're looking for a Diesel. For R250k you could find something with below 150 000km on the clock. Aslo plenty of V8 petrol models. The V8 is, however, heavy on fuel and the V10 - as lovely a vehicle as it is - is a bastard to maintain and repair.

Off road it is good - with or without air suspension. (lift kits are available for the normal suspension) Air suspension is great to have - sports car behaveour on road and extra lift off road. Great tow vehicle!

Best of luck with your investigation.

Vossie has very much nailed it here.
    I would only look at the R5TDI and preferably the 30L V6 TDI.
    They are expensive to maintain though (much more so than he Pajero's; I owned a Pajero before I owned my first Treg)
    I promise you once you have driven one you WILL be hooked.
    Be very carefull though and get some advice from an expert before you buy.

Chris.

Thanks. That's plenty of info to start with. Immediately it seems as if the R5 or 3.0 TDi are the more responsible options.

Let me have a look further

Cheers

Mitsubishi Pajero Gen4 3.2 DiD SWB Auto - the Squeek, Rattle and Shudder Mobile (almost all fixed!)
    Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

Marius you lucky bugger you would know

Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pantoffel View Post
    Marius you lucky bugger you would know
    It's only up 7kw and nearly 30NM on the 3.2 Di-D engine so not much but the less weight and the gearbox makes good use of the available grunt.

It surprised me the first time. It pulls really well!

I think this car will lessen the longing I have had for my passat 1.8T I sold a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    don't be fooled by the R5 engine size. It packs a huge punch!
    The R5 engine is most probably one of the best and most reliable TDi engine's VW ever produced.

128KW of power and 400NM of torque from a small 2.5 TDi engine are very good figures even by today's standards.
    The R5 also provides this power with very good fuel consumption figures.

Nice to know that these BAC engines based on previous R5 generation were already available back in 2003/2004 with the first Touaregs.
    Today almost a decade later, still some brands cannot offer these specs in their "BIG" 3.0 D4D's...

This is the same engine architecture used in the Dakar Touareg:

Engine: 2.5L, inline-five-cylinder, 20-valve, TDI diesel.
    Induction: Two-stage dual turbos with intercooler drawing through a 1.5-inch restrictor (mandated by FIA rules).
    "For those naysayers, VW has proven reliability on dual turbo-ed diesel/petrol engines a long time ago...."
    Horsepower: 209KW
    Torque: 600NM

With the following affordable plug & play tuning chip you can easily get your R5 to run with the stock V6 TDi's:
    http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...DI-2589-r.html

Long story short, you drive the very best, capable and underrated SUV one can buy.

Happy TReg'ing...

Last edited by Romzotwa; 2012/09/11 at 08:20 AM.
    2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Daddy's cool ride)
    Electric Jeep Super (Little-SWAMBO's ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Romzotwa View Post

With the following affordable plug & play tuning chip you can easily get your R5 to run with the stock V6 TDi's:
    http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...DI-2589-r.html

Is that a challenge?
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Is that a challenge?

Obviously you can install the RaceChip Pro or Ultimate which will put the V6 TDi in a different league all together...

Last edited by Romzotwa; 2012/09/11 at 08:32 AM.
    2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Daddy's cool ride)
    Electric Jeep Super (Little-SWAMBO's ride)

Rob Green do an exhaust and ecu mod on the V6 TDi which takes the torque from 550Nm up to 627Nm......!!

Quattro
    2005 Touareg V10
    2006 BMW M5
    2017 Invader Duo
    2007 Noble Ferrari P4 replica
    2013 High Spec TRD Toyota 86

Quote Originally Posted by Romzotwa View Post
    Obviously you can install the RaceChip Pro or Ultimate which will put the V6 TDi in a different league all together...

She's GOOD enough just as she is.

Chris'

Jip. I don't think I'll fiddle with my R5. It's a beast in stock form. I don't want to fiddle with the electrics. The pajero I could wrap my head around but the treg is way more complicated. I almost think it might have a chip in already!

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Jip. I don't think I'll fiddle with my R5. It's a beast in stock form. I don't want to fiddle with the electrics. The pajero I could wrap my head around but the treg is way more complicated. I almost think it might have a chip in already!
    Agree, like the idea of running the vehicle with the engineering reserves not fully exploited. Reliability tops perfomance for me.

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Agree, like the idea of running the vehicle with the engineering reserves not fully exploited. Reliability tops perfomance for me.
    Thinking of removing the catalytic converter once maintenance plan is over
    Is this a good idea or a bad idea.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLab View Post
    Thinking of removing the catalytic converter once maintenance plan is over
    Is this a good idea or a bad idea.

Chris.
    I'd leave it in and only consider removal once it has expired, i.e. requires expensive replacement.

Marius you have done a terrible thing!

You have got me looking around now as well. Saw a 2006 R5 with 185000km yesterday for R169k. It has PDC and air suspension. Unfortunately its manual gears.

How have you found the noise levels to be in terms road noise, engine noise and rattles/squeaks?

Stofpad4x4 Rock Sliders
    Dual Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pantoffel View Post
    Marius you have done a terrible thing!

You have got me looking around now as well. Saw a 2006 R5 with 185000km yesterday for R169k. It has PDC and air suspension. Unfortunately its manual gears.

How have you found the noise levels to be in terms road noise, engine noise and rattles/squeaks?
    Looks like I stirred a hornets nest!

Seems like there are plenty of members looking around now. hehe

Road noise is a lot less than the pajero. Remember this is marketed as a premium SUV and the extra insulation against noise helps a lot. For eaxmple, the treg's doors are triple sealed and the windows have double insulation to curb noise. I suppose the air suspension also acts as a noise damper for tyre noise protruding into the cabin via suspension components.

Mine has a parrot handsfree kit in it and my father didn't know that I was talking to him through a kit. That shows good sound absorption in the car.

My pajero had the rear door rattle which I could never get rid of and it's especially bad on my 4km gravel stretch from home to get to tar.

The treg has rattles and squeeks on the gravel but less than the pajero. The only car I have ever experienced on gravel with no rattles or squeeks whatsoever is my boss's 2011 Cayenne. On the road the touareg is much quieter.

The engine is not audible at cruising speed. You only hear it when you floor it and then it's a nice deep humm - doesn't sound like a diesel at all. What thrills me is that it sounds like dad's V10 TDi Treg from inside (but lacks the kick in the teeth acceleration )

The touareg and pajero is not really made to compete. They are fantastic vehicles and both have great compromise between on road and offroad capabilities. The pajero steers a little more to rugged offroad and the touareg steers a little more to luxury on road.

Which is easier to fix. I suspect the pajero is easier to fix but the VagCom on the treg may help me diagnose a fault better.

Which is probably more reliable and my preferred choice if I had to drive through Africa - Pajero.

Everyday car with the occasional outing - Touareg.

If I go in the bush and drive only gravel, day in and day out I think I would keep the pajero.

However, most of us drive more than 95% tar (including me - even if my driveway is 4km of gravel) so the treg is nicer for more than 95% of the time.

Do not for one minute think I have a downer on the pajero. I loved my pajero and still do. They are great cars and extremely reliable. I bought the treg as a treat as I wanted one and I only live once. I bought with my heart. The wise thing would have been to keep the car I know is running well and pay it of in less than 3 years. I have now started a fresh term on the treg. I'll probably have to fix more stuff on it than the pajero through the years but the joy of owning and driving such a nice car makes up for it.

You only live once and I now drive the car I have wanted for over 4 years. There is nothing I can think of now that I want more unless it's a Cayenne or a newer treg, but those dreams keep us going.

Page 10 of 530 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 35 60 110 260 510 ... LastLast