The lowdown on absorption fridges - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The lowdown on absorption fridges

Hi Henk to add a note to your excellent post you maybe forgot that there is a 4th method of supplying heat to these fridges. Many farmers and the like used them for fridges or freezers in their home kitchens in the “old” days - paraffin!! Man but they were quite finicky and one need to be an expert to keep them going properly. The memory of the smell associated with them remains.

From 1990 to 2010 we operated successfully in Moz with 2 Edesa freezers (chest type) and a 150l vertical Zero fridge. The freezers kept meat, fish and most importantly made ice as well even in +35 degrees.

We used a 38 litre Edesa for many years as deep freeze when camping. Those were the days before compressor fridges. The only advice I can add is that one should use a trivet in the bottom of the chest to facilitate cold air getting underneath the frozen stuff. (hot air rises) We also used a split second lid inside to facilitate two compartments with warmer air in the upper deck.In those days we towed with a V6 Granada GLS 5 speed. It had an amp meter in the dash. When towing and running both the caravan fridge and the Edesa from the car battery the amp meter recorded zero juice going back into the battery. We could not tow like that at night, because the battery would be depleted from the headlights.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

I have the same one pictured in post #8, maybe a bit newer model though.
    It has just done its duty during December in very hot weather without a hickup.
    Might have to get rid of it though because I have 5 camping fridges and storing space is becoming a problem.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Default Re: Edesa absorption fridge 12v wiring info please

I use a 5 star Edesa freezer for my fishing bait and I want to use it on 12v while travelling,as well as gas when camping out. (I also have a compressor freezer for food, so the merits of each are quite well-known).

Are the two 12v element are sensitive to reverse polarity? and what guage wiring and what size fuse should be used to the spare landy battery, please

Many Thanks
    The Otter Man - Africa's only Otter Tracker Tour Guide

Founder & CEO
    Cape Town Marine Tours.com
    Cape Marine Tours.co.za
    Marine Team South Africa
    Azores Escapes - Portugal

If you're not learning something new and pushing personal boundaries each and every day -you are wasting oxygen.

I also still owns one of these old war horses and had it sin's the late 80's and it is still going strong though I haven't used it for quite some time now as I also own two compressor fridges now.

Mine is the 38 L Edesa 5 star chest freezer.

I had a thick insulated cover made for it from a thick blanket material on the inside stiched to ripstop canvas on the outside to insulate the unit while traveling. It is quite effective.

When we use to camp for a weekend and I want it to work like a fridge, I use to put it just a tad off level and it will keep thing cold but not freeze. I also used a round target type buble level and some rubber door wedges to level mine.

I glued a small round fridge thermometer to the top inside of the unit to monitor the inside temperatures.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2020/01/19 at 08:40 AM.

Default Re: Edesa absorption fridge 12v wiring info please

Quote Originally Posted by theotterman View Post
    I use a 5 star Edesa freezer for my fishing bait and I want to use it on 12v while travelling,as well as gas when camping out. (I also have a compressor freezer for food, so the merits of each are quite well-known).

Are the two 12v element are sensitive to reverse polarity? and what guage wiring and what size fuse should be used to the spare landy battery, please

Many Thanks
    The element is 10A so will draw a lot of power, you will need a means to switch of the power to the freezer when stopping for a lunch or something.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Simple Bosch relay , under 100 Ront.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2