Hilux v6, manual vs auto performance!

Default Hilux v6, manual vs auto performance!

Can anyone please tell me which vehicle is the fastest?! And if the automatics fuel consumption is higher than that of the manual....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by falkirk107 View Post
    Can anyone please tell me which vehicle is the fastest?! And if the automatics fuel consumption is higher than that of the manual....

Thanks
    we over here arent really all for perfomance on the black top, but more on the off the beaten track perfomance. the 4.0 v6 is very quick, but fuel consumption is higher on the auto. very smooth though! are you looking at buying one?
    Current: Toyota FJ Sport Cruiser

Previous: VW Amarok ULTIMATE 4motion (auto)
    Previous: Amarok 4motion (MT) with a few goodies
    Previous: Isuzu KB300 Dteq 4x4 not that many goodies
    Prevous: Isuzu KB360 4x4 with a few goodies

One would tend to think auto will be slightly heavier but I dont think thats the case. Personally I think the manual would be slightly faster but I would pick the auto, so much power why bother with the manual. I am sure the manual will chew clutches quickly and put more strain on the axles than the auto.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd
    '19 Fortuner 2.8 Auto 4wd

Try no. 3

I agree with the other guys, I also think the auto will be heavier on fuel, but having driven an auto off-road for a while, I must say that I won't easily go back to manual. With all that power the auto should be great off-road, and it makes things so much easier.

2012 Jeep WK2 Limited CRD
    2" Murchison Lift
    265/65R18 Dick Cepek Trail Country
    TJM sidesteps
    Uneek4x4 Recovery points

I don't know so lekker about automatic. I feel way more in control with the Manual Hilux then the Auto Pajero in offroad situations.

Hi, yes i am considering to buy the automatic! Comes with cruise control too! More control with the manual yes, but I think I will be better off with the automatic! Would be great for off road I think!

Is it true that the automatic got more torque than the manual?

I think one can get used to auto quite comfortably its great in some offroad situations. One just needs to learn how to descend hills properly and the technique of left foot braking thats so valuable to avoid surging on the auto.
    Currently: 2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D/C 4x4
    Previously: 1996 LR Defender 110 V8

Default auto vs manual torque

Hi Falkirk,

Yes, it's true, I can't remember the actual numbers but I think the auto has got something like 25 or 40 Nm more.

I don't think fuel consumption will be so much of an issue... what difference is there really between 6 and 5.5 km/l? Both are

seems here in namibia the 4x4 rental guys all buy the auto to rent out. have less breakdowns with stupid terrorists aaaaaaa toursts stuffing up their cars
    V51JP
    Namboyz Rule

hi guys, yes the V6 has a bit more Torque, think Car Mag said something about 40nm as mentioned. Just keep in mind although it has more Grunt, some of it is lost by Turning that Auto Box, although its much less than olden days it still makes a dent in it.I test drove the V6 DC 4x4, very very nice, but from 120 its seems if its less responsive, maybe because its so smooth.The V6 with manual obviously will feel like more grunt as you have direct control.As far I heard the man is quicker than the Auto. Managers at N1 City told me they once took a 3.0D4d and V6 Auto up to Nam, on top end the 3.0D4d left the V6 behind, cause the V6 cuts out (speed limiter) anyway around 174 he mentioned. Kept in mind that this is on the Speedo with std tyres, so actual speed would have been around 162-164.Only thing I dont like about the V6 Toy, its has the same Engine Ticking sound like the Golf 5 GTI. Sound like a lifter noise, but only one. Made a point of listening to a few at Robots and most had it... Maybe the V6 owner will comment soon for more real feedback...
    Last edited by D4D; 2007/08/01 at 09:39 PM.
    2014 3.0D4D DC 4x4

1999 110 TD5 PUP -> VORTEC V8

2010 BMW GS1200 Adventure

Thanks for all your help guys! I got my auto v6 yesterday and its great! The power is awesome and the auto gearbox truly magnificent!
    2005 Toyota Hilux d/c 4.0 V6 4x4

Hey Falkirk,

congrats! Hope you enjoy! I visited the stealers in Pta last week - 5 months waiting list for the D4-D 4x4 Hilux and Fortuner...

Quote Originally Posted by 4xhilux View Post
    Hey Falkirk,

congrats! Hope you enjoy! I visited the stealers in Pta last week - 5 months waiting list for the D4-D 4x4 Hilux and Fortuner...
    Thanks, yes I heard there's a enormous waiting list! A friend of mine also waited a couple of months for his d4d! Im just glad I chose the V6 instead of the diesel!
    2005 Toyota Hilux d/c 4.0 V6 4x4

Are you sure about the waiting list? I think there is one free here in Grahamstown if anyone is keen. Told me about 1-3weeks wait at most for one now.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd
    '19 Fortuner 2.8 Auto 4wd

Bryan,

Could have been the normal stealer schpiel. I asked about discount and got the "we don't have to give discount because there is a five month waiting list, if you want discount you will have to wait a year for your vehicle" speach.

Blah, blah, blah. Luckily I don't mind buying from dealers in the "platteland" where you actually get good service and decent trade-ins. After buying my last vehicle at Ermelo Toyota and the good service and deal I got there I doubt I'll buy in Gauteng again. Anyway, I enjoy doing a 200 or 300km trip in the new vehicle

I know its an old forum but just incase anyone wonders like I did the auto box uses 40nm of torque to run the box I drive the man 4.0 v6 and my uncle has the 4.0 v6 auto hilux and I rn from him but honest the auto is much smoother then driving the manual but drove a chipped manual and a chipped auto and the manual gets the same outputs as a chipped auto then u really notice the difference its quite a difference I must say but toyota wanted people to buy the auto so detuned the manual but honestly the auto is just such a nice drive the manual might be faster but auto still much nicer for long trips

Ek hou ook baie van die manuel V6.