Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Foton Tunland

Quote Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
    I got an upgrade of the computer program to start the turbo at a lower threshold, and the bakkie ďfliesĒ now on the steep roads. Itís approaching 5000 km and Iím every day more satisfied.
    It might be looking like I am trolling, but Im not, ok.

I struggle to figure out how a map can make the turbo spool quicker.... is this a 2.8 vgt/ vnt?

Quote Originally Posted by gualter View Post
    Manny you should support the chinas more, after all one of them is carting your caipirinhas all the way down to where apparently the sun sets
    He has started
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by pierre2013 View Post

I struggle to figure out how a map can make the turbo spool quicker.... is this a 2.8 vgt/ vnt?
    Hi, Pierre.

Maybe I didn’t understand completely what you said (maybe because my ignorance in mechanics, or in English, or both) and I forgot to return here. I didn’t say it turns quicker but that the turbo began to turn sooner, at lower rpm; at least, I understood that. Anyway, they did something and the bakkie got better, with more power. Nevertheless, I went to Cummins (curiosity) to test the engine. They said all was OK, but they activated an automatic turning off after 5 minutes at idle, to protect the engine they said, and also (I don’t know if is a consequence of that) the pickup lost a bit of power on steep inclines. I have to return to Cummins.
    Last edited by Rod1; 2015/02/23 at 06:51 PM.

Default Re: Foton Tunland

I got an upgrade of the computer program to start the turbo at a lower threshold, and the bakkie ďfliesĒ now on the steep roads. Itís approaching 5000 km and Iím every day more satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre2013 View Post

Hi, Pierre.

Maybe I didnít understand completely what you said (maybe because my ignorance in mechanics, or in English, or both) and I forgot to return here. I didnít say it turns quicker but that the turbo began to turn sooner, at lower rpm; at least, I understood that. Anyway, they did something and the bakkie got better, with more power. Nevertheless, I went to Cummins (curiosity) to test the engine. They said all was OK, but they activated an automatic turning off after 5 minutes at idle, to protect the engine they said, and also (I donít know if is a consequence of that) the pickup lost a bit of power on steep inclines. I have to return to Cummins.
    I got a private message about a wrong statement I said here years ago. Iíve quitted this forum because they erased a thread I started, one or more posts, people often continue in Afrikaans a thread started in English, and other related matters.

Well, as said in 2013, my ignorance in mechanics and an ambiguous incomplete information tripped me up. Since then Iíve learned they couldnít enhance the turbo performance with only an electronic upgrade. So they did something but I donít know what, and the Tunland improved on the road.

I returned to CumminsÖ last year! They scanned the engine and found it OK (free), but said it would be good to return for an in-depth revision (paid work). Iíve not returned because they relocated outside the city, far from my home, traffic jams are a pain, and I had to let the Tunland there at least one night, to get the engine completely cold.

Default Re: Foton Tunland

I am not sure that your statement was so "wrong" as you thought. It is common practice to control a turbo with electronics, nowdays it is done even on the entry level turbo engines. It is a simple array of seconary vanes that control the gasflow over the exhaust impeller. It is not the latest technology and I think it would have been available at the time of your post. My youngest had the software on his polo 1.9 tdi uprated to get maximum out of his huge turbo that he fitted. This and a fair bit of Noss has enabled him to produce 708NM on the wheels without altitude compensation.

Name:  turbo.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  44.4 KB
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3